Old April 5, 2003, 14:53   #91
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 17:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
If you guys want to argue politics, do it in the OTF.
Old April 5, 2003, 18:39   #92
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:29
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
If you guys want to argue politics, do it in the OTF.
Don't worry, if this thread completely turns into a political debate (if someone would start defending libertarianism here for example), I won't respond. Such debates only lead to feelings of , and among all participants.

Quote:
since MY point is that at least to us Americans
As certain people posting in this thread have showed, there is no "us Americans" on this issue. Not all Americans agree with you that flag burning expresses hatred towards everything American including the people. The interpretation of that symbol is hyperindividual. Nevertheless...

Quote:
Think of flag burning as someone defecating on the most holy object of whatever religion you belong to. Very offensive indeed.
Good point. Since so many seem to give the avatar a different interpretation than I do, thereby not achieving the very goal of an avatar, and thereby also hurting the feelings of people whose feelings I didn't intend to hurt (meaning the feelings of Americans such as you, who also don't completely agree with the American system & government - I don't care about the feelings of those who do support the American system totally), I'll change my avatar back to the old one.
Old April 5, 2003, 18:43   #93
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

There, that's done. How do you like my old avatar? I hope people believing in a linear or absolutistic world view won't take offensive and think I hate them.
Old April 5, 2003, 18:48   #94
Amesjustin
NationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 15:29
Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
Don't worry, if this thread completely turns into a political debate (if someone would start defending libertarianism here for example), I won't respond. Such debates only lead to feelings of , and among all participants.

As certain people posting in this thread have showed, there is no "us Americans" on this issue. Not all Americans agree with you that flag burning expresses hatred towards everything American including the people. The interpretation of that symbol is hyperindividual. Nevertheless...

Good point. Since so many seem to give the avatar a different interpretation than I do, thereby not achieving the very goal of an avatar, and thereby also hurting the feelings of people whose feelings I didn't intend to hurt (meaning the feelings of Americans such as you, who also don't completely agree with the American system & government - I don't care about the feelings of those who do support the American system totally), I'll change my avatar back to the old one.
Ming, I know I promised you I would not post to this thread again, but a truce has been offered and I must accept it.

Thank you Maniac for seeing my point. It makes sense to not have such a highly objectional avatar as people are more likely to judge you by your posts as opposed to your avatar.

And you are correct that symbol interpretation of the flag is different for each individual. Having lost a few people close to me both in 9/11 and previous wars (not the current though) the American Flag has a lot of deep, complex meanings for me. So I guess that is one of the very few subjects I am very ensitive about.

At any rate thanks again, you have proven yourself to be a good guy, and I apologize for getting as angry with you as I did.

Last edited by Amesjustin; April 5, 2003 at 18:57.
Old April 5, 2003, 19:24   #95
XarXo
Prince

Local Time: 22:29
They can't burn a flag but they can burn people if they have oil? Quite interesting...
Old April 5, 2003, 20:08   #96
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 17:29
Quote:
Originally posted by XarXo
They can't burn a flag but they can burn people if they have oil? Quite interesting...
I said to take the political crap to the Off Topic Forum...
Old April 8, 2003, 11:19   #97
XarXo
Prince

Local Time: 22:29
Ok Ming, sorry, but the basis of the thread is totally inmersed in political ideas more than moral, but if you want to do a -2 (this and the other post) in my post count I'll understand.
Old April 8, 2003, 15:18   #98
Maniac

I'd suggest just closing down the thread. It seems to keep being bumped.
Old April 8, 2003, 21:07   #99
flash9286
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 18:29
that avator offends me, its offends my taoist faith.
Old April 9, 2003, 15:34   #100
Maniac

Old April 15, 2003, 10:07   #101
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 18:29
Apparently what we all need to do is, if we are going to have burning-flag avatars, enter "DISCLAIMER: I protest America in its current incarnation as a political institution. Use of a burning flag does not imply disapproval of any or all ideals of relevant founding fathers. All rights reserved." as our location. Or we could just do what I do and shrug off flag-burning as a load of sophomoric hippie crap designed for shock value(sorry Ming!).
Just wanted to get that in before the thread closed.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."