Old March 27, 2003, 22:54   #31
Aramis
Prince

Local Time: 16:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
So SMAC great, SMAX better if available. Sounds good.
I'd write more but I'm late for my anger management class.
Old March 29, 2003, 02:06   #32
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 18:30
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
An aside to Uchuu-kun[SM42], who wrote:
Quote:
Layeth the SMACeth down, eh?
I'd write more, but my arm has been penetrated by little plasma globe shards which make typing with my left hand difficult. [It happened yesterday, but the tendons don't heal too quick...]
Sounds like the three weeks I spent with my left hand wrapped up after getting it caught in an old "windmill"-type letterpress. What a mess! The pain-killers were nice
Old March 29, 2003, 02:17   #33
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 08:30
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Alpha Centauri is worth playing just for the depth of the storyline alone. Each technology has an amazing voiceover and a "future-historical" blurb. Each faction has different ideology, abilities, and flavor. And the interludes are amazing - for me, if historical CivGames had had these, they would have been improved no end.
Old March 29, 2003, 04:27   #34
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
Alpha Centauri is worth playing just for the depth of the storyline alone. Each technology has an amazing voiceover and a "future-historical" blurb. Each faction has different ideology, abilities, and flavor. And the interludes are amazing - for me, if historical CivGames had had these, they would have been improved no end.
I normally can't stand the "story" elements in computer gaming, but I have to agree that SMAC/X is very well done. Great attention has been paid to the personality and atmosphere of the game, which enriches it greatly.
Old March 29, 2003, 05:58   #35
Sikander
King

Local Time: 15:30
It's simply the best computer game ever made IMO.
Old March 29, 2003, 09:22   #36
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Sikander
It's simply the best computer game ever made IMO.
Agree wholeheratedly with respect to storyline, depth of play, replayability and features

Can't agree with respect to programming quality ie all the bugs and their commitment to remedy them
Old March 29, 2003, 12:22   #37
Kaptain Ken
Warlord

Local Time: 22:30
I agree SMAX rules. If you need a break, Master of Orion II is the best 4X game IMHO and can be a fun diversion for a break.
Old March 29, 2003, 12:43   #38
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

MrPresident is absolutely right. It's not only the depth of the strategy that makes SMAC superior to Civ3, it's the SOUL. Civ3 has no soul.

Imagine if they took some of the good things from Civ3--resources, trade negotiation, golden age--and put them into SMAC. Ahhhh, dare to dream...
Old March 30, 2003, 10:23   #39
Kaptain Ken
Warlord

Civ 2 is better than Civ 3, Moo2 is better than Moo3, and SMAC(X) will be better than any sequel if one were ever released. SMAC was the best game ever done, since then they have all been easier and less complicated to boost sales.
Old March 31, 2003, 11:39   #40
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

I just don't get this thread at all. I'm confused. How did a few meaningless spam posts set off a "Pro SMAC" thread again?
Old March 31, 2003, 12:30   #41
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 19:30
SMAC is superior to any kind of spam...
Old March 31, 2003, 14:19   #42
Uchuu-kun[SM42]
Chieftain

Behold the Power of Hormel Processed Meat Products and Firaxis Games.
Old March 31, 2003, 17:07   #43
Kaptain Ken
Warlord

Spam vs SMAC - tough choice NOT.

I am addicted to SMAC(X) and to Moo2, but since I switch back and forth I am not really hooked, right?
Old March 31, 2003, 17:50   #44
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexnm
SMAC is superior to any kind of spam...
Far far superior

It is superior in so many respects . . . if only they would have fixed the bugs
Old April 1, 2003, 04:33   #45
Major Guz
Warlord

Local Time: 23:30
Well, speaking of spam:

The European Space Association (ESA) has planned a manned mission to mars, probably in 2009. I was among the very first to volunteer. They turned me down however, you want to know why?
They did not need any more trained monkeys.

However, SMAX is indeed superior to all TBS games I've played, superior indeed. Even a few RTS games are beaten by SmacX IMHO (thinking of Dune2000, which was too much alike Red Alert [so non innovative, I like Red Alert ]).
Old April 1, 2003, 20:11   #46
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 12:30
Quote:
Originally posted by Lazerus
frankychan we should have a 1v1 sometime since im a hardcore Hiver aswell will probably get skinned since i've only just started pbems and ip's but hey no harm in learning better ways to get the masses under tighter control
I wouldn't mind...but I've never played PBEM before. The only multiplay I've ever played was Hotseat with my friends and online with them....but they cheated and ganged up on me.

Quote:
Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia

Hark! Do I hear a junta of HIVE supporters?
Ho! Right here!

"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old April 3, 2003, 10:49   #47
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Well if we're just playing 1v1 we could try arranging a time to play a 1v1 scen or just normal with 5 AI. Or we could get 2 other people and have 2 Hive vs 2 others

Quote:
Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia
Hark! Do I hear a junta of HIVE supporters?
Well would anyone dare to speak out against the kind and benevolent chairman Yang ?
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Last edited by Lazerus; April 3, 2003 at 11:49.
Old April 4, 2003, 02:33   #48
Hendrik
Warlord

That sounds like a fun premise for an IP game... would you be interested?

I don't want to commit to an incredibly long PBEM right now.
Old April 4, 2003, 21:44   #49
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Or we could just have lots of Hives against each other.
Old April 5, 2003, 08:09   #50
Lazerus
King

I think the Hives vs each other would be more even. Its not like the Hive is going to do well if its alone and morgan is on some far away island getting a tech every 2 turns Now a tiny or small map with just 1 continent on the other hand
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Last edited by Lazerus; April 5, 2003 at 08:17.
Old April 5, 2003, 15:28   #51
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

sounds intriguing (sp?). Well, you guys would probably have to walk me through it if we decide to do this cause, like I said, I've never done PBEM b4.

.....I wouldn't mind having Morgan on a little island. I would consider it my "cash cow/piggy bank" and take the credits I need from him.
Old April 5, 2003, 18:33   #52
Aramis
Prince

Comparing SMAC/SMAX to CIVIII/PtW:
In Civ, I find I spend many centuries (in huge games) doing nothing but tile improvements/tech advances/etc.,: i.e.: routine maintenance. It's kinda making this game I once loved rather tedious. Will I find this in SMAC?
I don't recoil from the idea of routince maintenace--it was once ( and still occassionally is) fun/interesting, and still have a lot to learn about it,
But, boy, it wearies me now. SMAC will be a whole new experience. But will I have that tedium to come, once I am familiar with the game mechanics?

Your thoughts appreciated-- Rob_S
Old April 5, 2003, 19:22   #53
Static Universe
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob_S
Comparing SMAC/SMAX to CIVIII/PtW:
In Civ, I find I spend many centuries (in huge games) doing nothing but tile improvements/tech advances/etc.,: i.e.: routine maintenance. It's kinda making this game I once loved rather tedious. Will I find this in SMAC?
I don't recoil from the idea of routince maintenace--it was once ( and still occassionally is) fun/interesting, and still have a lot to learn about it,
But, boy, it wearies me now. SMAC will be a whole new experience. But will I have that tedium to come, once I am familiar with the game mechanics?

Your thoughts appreciated-- Rob_S
While there is some level of micromanagement tedium involved with improvement building, I find SMAC more interesting than Civ due to the types of terrain, terrain specials and improvement types available. There's more strategy involved than merely irrigating and building railrods in every single tile.

Plus, there's you can automate tile improvement, and while it isn't ideal, it is adequate against the AI.
Old April 6, 2003, 01:12   #54
Hendrik
Warlord

A lot of time is spent micromanaging in SMAC, but there are many more choices that you can make in your decisions. It adds a lot more strategic depth to the game... small decisions, like how you design your units, or how efficiently you manage your bases, can add up over time. Civ3 also has a lot of micro... but what you do doesn't make much of a difference... the way it works is so dumbed down that an AI can run it effectively. You effectively have two choices for improving a given square... in SMAC you have a dozen. Heck you can even use terraformers to make landbridges! The many micromanagement elements do ultimately add to the strategic depth of games.
Old April 6, 2003, 07:33   #55
Lazerus
King

Would you 4 consider playing a 4 way ip game then ? Im currently taking part in an ip game every sunday night so we could either pick a different night or just wait a fortnight or so until its finished and we've got everything set up for this game since sunday nights seem to be the most convenient time for everybody.

Ideas :
4 Hive players, ffa ie, no alliances or tech sharing? If you want it then stick with the spirit of Yang and take it
2v2 set out from the start, no AI and maybe a specially made map so that opposing teams dont start just 5 squares from each other ?
2 Hives vs 2 others, tiny/small map so the Hive isn't simply out-teched by 2 morgan/zak's who are a 40year journey away.
Old April 6, 2003, 16:30   #56
Frankychan
King

hmmmm, i might be in to it. But like I said, I haven't played much multiplay except w/my friends who live close to my home. Man, I didn't even know you could have 2 of the same faction on the map at the same time!
Old April 7, 2003, 07:45   #57
Lazerus
King

I think you can, done it in a single player game (shows up as eg, Zak1 , Zak2 , Zak3 etc) so im assuming its just the same for MP, if not then every1 simply creates a few clone Hive factions. Really getting into playing IP games as the Hive, twice now i'm mauling Auric boils Pirates in the power charts aswell as Doomreaver who is playing pirates in one ... that topped off with a few AI who decided to try and extort me and then found 7 impact rovers which were followed up 15-20 turns later by missile needles Great making the AI surrender, letting them finish the secret projects they're working on then cancelling pact and killing them anyways

By the way does anybody know if its a set thing where factions start in relation to each other? Everytime ive played Yang and deidre has been in the game aswell shes ALWAYS next to me complaining about planned

Last edited by Lazerus; April 7, 2003 at 13:55.
Old April 8, 2003, 09:57   #58
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 10:30
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Well here's an opinion from someone who actually likes Civ3 ( I think I'm in the minority of 1 here!)

SMAC is a game that vastly expanded your horizons - you can do almost anything to your land and units. This provides for fantastic fun, but more often than not I find I end up in decision hell. Situation: I want more energy.
Solution 1: Build Echelon Mirrors/Solar collectors everywhere
Solution 2: Raise all the terrain around
Solution 3: tap to rivers
Solution 4: Build Boeholes everywhere
Solution 5: Build tonnes of Soalr Satellites
Solution 6: Build lots of Supply Crawlers and ship energy in from elsewhere.
Solution 7: ...

You can even raise all your land and turn all seas into mountains or vice versa.

There's too much to cope with. I need some restrictions!

The AI is quite awful as well. Civ3 is a quantum leap up in automation of workers, governor build queues and AI activity, but they certainly did remove a lot from the game that was Civ2 in bringing this to us.

The best thing about SMAC for me is the phenomenal sci-fi setting and the sheer number of innovations introduced. What staggers me, as a research physicist, is the vast number of genuine scientific possibilities/sci-fi fictions included and their results. SMAC should be revolutionary - I am a little saddened there has not been a rush of follow-ups with similar innovation done with a Civ3 style AI.

But for the love of Planet - get SMAX! SMAC just isn't nearly as great. With only 7 possible factions games are repetitive. The seven extras mean you greatly increase the possible combinations of opponents.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old April 8, 2003, 11:33   #59
Static Universe
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt

But for the love of Planet - get SMAX! SMAC just isn't nearly as great. With only 7 possible factions games are repetitive. The seven extras mean you greatly increase the possible combinations of opponents.
Plus the custom faction editor and the extra slots for more factions beyond the original 14, I find SMAX never gets repetitive faction-wise.
Old April 8, 2003, 17:17   #60
Lazerus
King

solution 3) tap to rivers.

Does anyone ever bother doing this? Am i missing out on a decent terraforming action here?

Since i normally play Hive i prefer 3-4 boreholes for my energy and crawled mines and condensors for minerals and nutrients. Base radius is normally filled with (other then boreholes) just forests.

Last edited by Lazerus; April 8, 2003 at 17:22.