Old March 25, 2003, 08:43   #1
ShadowStalker
Settler

Local Time: 22:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
AI Infrastructure, Workers, and The Editor
I have been playing PTW the world for about a month now, and the AI seriously dissappoints me in the mid to end game.

I always have such a large advantage over them by this point, and I think a lot of it is due to what they are scripted to build.

I also noticed that while me and a neighbor AI may start in a jungle ridden area, while my jungles have been cleared by armies of workers and mines and irrigated into a now hugely productive area, the AI has like hardly any developed tiles and is just in general doing very poorly (This also occurs in normal locations, they just don't develop thier tiles fast enough or something).

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with the editor in making changes that makes the AI better.

I added a lot of "Build Often" orders to every AI Civ just a few minutes ago and am going to run it in debug mode to see how it affects them.

I added "Build Often" Growth to any Civ that is expansionist, "Build Often" Production to anyone who is commercial or industrious, "Build Often" Defenders and Attacks to every Civ, "Build Often" Wealth, Trade, Explore to Commercials, and stuff like that and so on and so forth for all Civs, some I added orders that didn't go with thier traits to make the Civ more accurate to history.

I made all Civs "Build Often" workers. I figured this would make them produce more workers (I know, I know, I am very insightful), but I am just afraid I may run into the problem where they will try to produce workers without enough population, and or will produce to many workers stunting city growth, but this is the only way I can see to make the AI actually get its infrastructure up and running quickly, as well as be able to quickly repairs damage after wars.

Anyway, can anyone tell me how this may affect the AI? I am sure other people have tried this and if anyone can point out how I may be crippling the AI, or certain specific changes that I could make that would really help them I would very much appreciate it.
Old March 25, 2003, 14:07   #2
Rommel2D
staff
Civilization III PBEMIron Civers

Local Time: 17:32
You'll probably have better luck with this in the strategy forum. Check out the AU mod there- it has a bunch of changes to unit stats that help the AI use them better without any AI tweaking.
Old March 25, 2003, 14:29   #3
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 18:32
Re: AI Infrastructure, Workers, and The Editor
Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowStalker
I have been playing PTW the world for about a month now, and the AI seriously dissappoints me in the mid to end game.

I always have such a large advantage over them by this point, and I think a lot of it is due to what they are scripted to build.

I also noticed that while me and a neighbor AI may start in a jungle ridden area, while my jungles have been cleared by armies of workers and mines and irrigated into a now hugely productive area, the AI has like hardly any developed tiles and is just in general doing very poorly (This also occurs in normal locations, they just don't develop thier tiles fast enough or something).

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with the editor in making changes that makes the AI better.

I added a lot of "Build Often" orders to every AI Civ just a few minutes ago and am going to run it in debug mode to see how it affects them.

I added "Build Often" Growth to any Civ that is expansionist, "Build Often" Production to anyone who is commercial or industrious, "Build Often" Defenders and Attacks to every Civ, "Build Often" Wealth, Trade, Explore to Commercials, and stuff like that and so on and so forth for all Civs, some I added orders that didn't go with thier traits to make the Civ more accurate to history.

I made all Civs "Build Often" workers. I figured this would make them produce more workers (I know, I know, I am very insightful), but I am just afraid I may run into the problem where they will try to produce workers without enough population, and or will produce to many workers stunting city growth, but this is the only way I can see to make the AI actually get its infrastructure up and running quickly, as well as be able to quickly repairs damage after wars.

Anyway, can anyone tell me how this may affect the AI? I am sure other people have tried this and if anyone can point out how I may be crippling the AI, or certain specific changes that I could make that would really help them I would very much appreciate it.
Shadow:

Sounds interesting, especially with the workers. Running a scenerio debug is good to get a quick look into how the game engine works, but you will probably have to play test this to make sure it works. Please report your findings when complete

-MB

P.S. What level do you play on? You may want to increase your skill level in addition to the mods.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old March 25, 2003, 15:35   #4
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 18:32
The problem with Build Often for Workers and Settlers is that the AI does not take into account its current population when building these units (this is obviously apparent in Debug mode on Emperor and Deity, where the first build is always a Settler, even though it will lose about half the Shields it accumulates on the way to size 3). Therefore it could very well drive its best city to a very small pop just by blindly queuing up a lot of Workers. Since it likes to balance out its Food and Shield production, this should happen more often than not, despite its tendency to irrigate a lot.

Check out the AU mod for some changes that try to improve the AI. There's also the "Best AI I've ever seen..." thread. Both are in the Strat forum.

Dominae
Old March 26, 2003, 19:44   #5
MPatton
Chieftain

I think it has to do with the civilization. If you select American then maybe they will make more use of land. On the other hand if you get Iroquis or Zulu then it is probably lowly developed.
Old March 27, 2003, 07:39   #6
Deathwalker
Prince

You should read the strategy forum and try a harder level with more AI players Or try online with humans for a real challenge