Old March 25, 2003, 13:37   #1
Elephant
Prince

Local Time: 17:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
City Battle Healing
When the flag drops the first unit into an enemy city will be healed. The situation I am asking about is when the city is yours, and your unit inside survives the assault. I saw a "healing" in this situation over the weekend, and I guess I had not been paying attention (or permitting attacks on my cities - this was an Early Landing game with minimal defenses) to see this before. A Phalanx fortified in a size 1 city was attacked by two Barb Archers. The first left the Phalanx yellow but veteran, I watched carefully (sweating profusely and praying fervently would be a better description) as the second attack failed and the Phalanx was distinctly red, but when I checked it right after the battle it had improved to yellow.

Anyone know the parameters on this kind of healing? I reran the combat a few times and saw similar results: once the Phalanx was down to yellow after the second attack, but when I checked it as soon as my turn started it was up to green, but not full-bar. So the healing seems to be something like 3-4 units of health, not a full recovery like conquering a city.
Old March 25, 2003, 14:27   #2
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

A fortified unit heals a little each round if he started fortified and ended fortified. Not as much as a sentried or sleeping unit, but heals some nonetheless. And of course if there are barracks in that city, it will heal all the way in that situation (obviously no barracks or you wouldn't have had the partial healing). This seems to occur even if the unit was attacked, as you have observed, as long as you didn't activate the unit on the previous turn.

May be some other conditions, but thats all i remember off the top of my head
Old March 25, 2003, 14:42   #3
Elephant
Prince

Hmmm, yes, I would expect some healing if it had been inactive the next turn but between the Barb attack and the beginning of the first player turn? Unless the "healing" formula is activated at the _beginning_ of the players turn, not the end...
Old March 27, 2003, 17:20   #4
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:33
i have seen this too, though i have no explanation for it...i have thought perhaps since the barb attacks at the end of the game turn, when you see your unit immediately the next turn, the game has calculated 1 turns rest b/c it is fortified and has not moved, as opposed to having attacked with it and not having a chance to fortify it at the end of the turn.

rarely do i see the immediate health from units which use their last mp to attack, if ever, but i have on many occassions seen fortified units regain strength immediately after being attacked by barbs.
Old March 28, 2003, 18:12   #5
Elephant
Prince

I thought Barbs were Civ 0 and moved first...

Did you see immediate healing of units attacked by Barbs OUTSIDE of a city, or only inside? I have only seen this inside, but I will try to pay more attention in the future.
Old March 29, 2003, 17:16   #6
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Elephant, i always thought barbs attacked last, but i could easily be mistaken i usually play purple, so i assumed they always attacked AFTER me lol...

as for healing, i have seen this both in and out of cities...
Barracks aside, its my belief you heal more quickly in a city than out of it....how many times have i been wounded to mid yellow by a barb, only to be fully healed when its my turn..?

and i always thought barbs were civ 8? but i could be wrong
Old March 29, 2003, 17:59   #7
SlowThinker
GameLeagueApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 00:33
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Barbs are 0, but I think it is not important. Anyway they move after purple and before white.
Old March 29, 2003, 20:28   #8
Smash
Emperor

I've seen it also.I'm reasonably sure the unit(s) were vets as I almost always go for Sun's.Maybe there is some random generator at work.
Do indentical units of equal "wounds" heal in the same amount of time?..I seem to recall the odd unit taking what seemed like forever to heal.

How can I create 2 identical units that are wounded the exact same amount?
Old March 30, 2003, 10:08   #9
TimTheEnchanter
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Smash
I've seen it also.I'm reasonably sure the unit(s) were vets as I almost always go for Sun's.Maybe there is some random generator at work.
Do indentical units of equal "wounds" heal in the same amount of time?..I seem to recall the odd unit taking what seemed like forever to heal.

How can I create 2 identical units that are wounded the exact same amount?
It is my understanding that rates of healing are consistnent, but based on a number of factors. I think the main factor preventing healing is if the unit moves at all during a turn, it won't heal. If the unit doesn't move, it will heal before then next turn at a predictable rate. Look here for Sodaq's study on battles, including a section on healing.
Old April 1, 2003, 12:48   #10
Elephant
Prince

Good link, Tim. I missed that one. Thanks.
Old April 1, 2003, 16:30   #11
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Distance from a city also plays a role if I remember correctly.
Old April 2, 2003, 01:09   #12
War4ever
Emperor

yes, so does remaining in a civs radius, seems to me it slows the process...

also the various stages of red, can take a long time to heal, whereas half a yellow can be one or two turns away from full health
Old April 2, 2003, 12:30   #13
Elephant
Prince

Check Tim's link: all of that is in there...