Old March 25, 2003, 18:28   #1
sevencubed
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 00:33
Local Date: November 2, 2010
increase factory output
In all my games so far, i never built city improvements that increase the shields output, other than the factory and the hydro plant (mostly by achieving HooverDam).

In my last game i tried to built a solar plant, hoping that it would have a cumulative effect with the hydro plant. To my surprise, there was no increase to shield output when the solar plant was built.

I then checked the civilopedia entry to see that : "...the solar plant replaces other power plants...".

and the same is noticed for all power plants. This means that we can have just one of them as a production enhancer. Am I missing something ?
Old March 25, 2003, 18:37   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 18:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Basically yes, can only have one plant in a city. I believe there is an exception in the case of Hoover Dam, but I forget the details.
I only use factories and Hoover Dam as well. Hold over from Civ2.
Old March 25, 2003, 18:49   #3
planetfall
Prince

Local Time: 15:33
Naturally you could change this in the editor, but that would really tweak the game.

Manu. plants come late, but they are nice to have with the expensive costs in the modern era.

== PF
Old March 25, 2003, 19:28   #4
BigDork
Prince

Local Time: 22:33
The problem with manufacturing plants is that they come so late in the game. Usually if I get that far in the tech tree I'm not trying or I'm just goofing around. Maybe if they showed up earlier they'd be better but as they are now...

BigD

BigDork's Poll of the Day over at MZO. What Spam Will It Be Today?
Old March 25, 2003, 22:48   #5
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 16:33
Yes, I've found manufacturing plants to simply be fluff, either I've won the game by then or lost it.
Old March 25, 2003, 23:07   #6
badams52
King

Local Time: 14:33
But you could build the nuclear plant which replaces a hydro plant but produces more. It might be just fluff by that time, but I still like to see how productive I can get my cities. I even research the techs to get the manufacturing plant and offshore platforms (both highly unnecessary city modifications).

And as I remember in Civ 2, manufacturing plants weren't necessary either. But offshore platforms came earlier, and solar plants eliminated pollution.
Old March 25, 2003, 23:44   #7
nationalist
Warlord

Local Time: 17:33
Quote:
Originally posted by badams52
offshore platforms (both highly unnecessary city modifications).
Offshore platforms are VERY helpful when figthing a late game war. They make coastal cities much more productive, which is nice when you need to pump out naval units/modern armor/nuclear weapons
"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796
Old March 26, 2003, 00:24   #8
BigDork
Prince

I will usually get the offshore platforms for my coastal cities. It's not super important to me to squeeze every last shield outta a city but these really do help the larger coastal cities.

BigD

BigDork's Poll of the Day over at MZO. What Spam Will It Be Today?
Old March 26, 2003, 04:29   #9
theNiceOne
Warlord

Local Time: 23:33
Re: increase factory output
Quote:
Originally posted by sevencubed This means that we can have just one of them as a production enhancer. Am I missing something ?
What you may be missing is the fact that different plants have different pros and cons, and that you should build the one that suits your current situation. Here's some of it right from memory:

Coal Plant:
+ First available, cheapest, can be built in all cities
- Pollution
Use: Early when you need extra production for building wonders (You can rush a coal plant for faster building of the ToE or Hoover Dam), also fine if you don't expect to get Hoover Dam on the continent.

Hydro Plant.
+ Second available, no pollution, You get one free in every city on the continent if building the Hoover Dam.
- Can only be built in cities adjacent to rivers (exc. Hoover Dam).
Use: In all river cities if you don't want the pollution from the coal plant.

Solar Plant:
+ Can be built everywhere, no pollution
- Avaliable late
Use: Only worth building if you don't have hoover dam on the continent, and then only on cities not adjacent to water where you want to avoid the polution of a Coal Plant.

Nuclear Plant.
+ 100% shield increase (twice as good as any other plant), no pollution.
- Avaliable late, expensive, a small danger of meltdown.
Use: Nice to build in your highest production cities to get super production cities before the space race.
Old March 26, 2003, 07:28   #10
Hurricane
Warlord

Local Time: 00:33
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Didn't nuclear plants require fresh water inside the city radius? It's so long since I built them that I've forgotten how it was.
Old March 26, 2003, 08:15   #11
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 23:33
Yes, nuclear plants require a river or lake within the city radius.

Hydro requires a river.
Old March 26, 2003, 14:26   #12
Willem
Emperor

Re: increase factory output
Quote:
Originally posted by sevencubed
In all my games so far, i never built city improvements that increase the shields output, other than the factory and the hydro plant (mostly by achieving HooverDam).

In my last game i tried to built a solar plant, hoping that it would have a cumulative effect with the hydro plant. To my surprise, there was no increase to shield output when the solar plant was built.

I then checked the civilopedia entry to see that : "...the solar plant replaces other power plants...".

and the same is noticed for all power plants. This means that we can have just one of them as a production enhancer. Am I missing something ?
Solar plants are meant for all those cities that don't have a river within their city radius; which is a requirement for hydro plants, in order to the reduce pollution caused by coal plants. (I wonder why there's no gas/oil plants) Or you can go the nuclear route, but then you take the chance of having a meltdown. Oh yeah, you can only build those in cities with water in it's radius, either a river or a lake.
Old March 26, 2003, 16:14   #13
Dida
Prince

I think you need a lake to build nuclear plant, not a river. I'm not sure though.
I remember in CTP, the effects of power plants are cummilative. so by late game, you can have super productive cities, and plus we can have mine->advance mine -> mega mine, or even undersea mine. That's really cool. We can put fish net on the coastal tiles to enhance food production. i really miss that.

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.
Old March 27, 2003, 23:08   #14
pedrojedi
Prince

Local Time: 19:33
That kind of tile improvement was really nice. The other one was the "advanced farm" with the supermarket in civ2, which was cool as well.
Old March 27, 2003, 23:15   #15
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dida
I think you need a lake to build nuclear plant, not a river. I'm not sure though.
You just need to have a source of fresh water in your city radius, that includes rivers as well.
Old March 28, 2003, 22:07   #16
Jarvin
Chieftain

Factories annoy the crap out of me.
I spend a lot of time sending out workers to go clean up pollution. I usually dont build factories until i have every square railroaded (i play on large and huge maps, so it can take a while).

The only time i rush to build them quickly is if i'm in a particularly threatening war and absolutely need them.
Old March 29, 2003, 21:11   #17
Rommel2D
staff
Civilization III PBEMIron Civers

Local Time: 17:33
I haven't even had a game where Robotics were discovered, but I take it manufacturing plants aren't Plants? I mean, they're not mutually exclusive like the other 4 plants that are Plants? :/
Old March 29, 2003, 22:42   #18
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Yes, manufacturing plants are an advanced factory, not a power plant.

If you ever go the Spaceship route to victory, a convenient way to get to (and beyond) Robotics is to create a scenario where spaceship parts are delayed, with at least one all the way to Integrated Defense. You might also increase some of the parts' cost.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.