Old March 25, 2003, 21:41   #1
MegloManiac
Civilization III Democracy GameDiplomacyNever Ending Stories
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
can i please join a team
it seems as if i cant ever gt in a game i want to join gathering storm but i dont think they even notice me. can somone let me in one!
Old March 26, 2003, 00:23   #2
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:34
Hi, MegloManiac.

I responded to your PM. Did you get it?

We are already a large team. Combine that with you being so new, and it is difficult to see how you would pass our membership poll.

You do know that a new, public Democracy game is getting going, don't you? To be honest, I had more fun with the first General Democracy Game than I am having with this one.

This one is OK, and I am enjoying participating with my team, but it doesn't have the same comraderie that the General Demo game had. Everyone, combined, against the AI at Emperor or Deity is a lot of fun.

It would also be a good way for you to become known. Who knows, maybe some of these teams may come and ask you to join them once they see what you can do.

Keep on civ'in.
Old March 26, 2003, 01:38   #3
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

yah

sorry

Vox is at just the number we want

if some people don't work out, we may look for more

but we ahve 9 members, and that is good enough

Jon Miller
Old March 26, 2003, 18:30   #4
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Meglo,

I also invite you to join the regular DemoGame here:
http://www.apolyton.net/forums/forum...s=&forumid=154

We are starting over, and you can be involved in all decisions from what civ to choose, what map to play, all the way to how to structure the govt. It's allot of fun, and there is a good possibility you could even be in the government one day (once we have a government again.)

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old April 1, 2003, 17:38   #5
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 23:34
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

We are already a large team. Combine that with you being so new, and it is difficult to see how you would pass our membership poll.
I think your first criteria is valid, but the second one I do have to critisize.....
(typical me, right? I just have to do it.)

Someone being new to this forum in terms of post count, is really irrelevant and cannot be used as an argument. Our own team began with many relatively new posters, but most of them knew the game well, and most of them also had MP experience and we got a great team there. You don't know anything about a poster from his/her postcount. Might be a 'PTW-guru' for what you know.

In the InterSite DG it's different... A new poster might well come from another site so we use higher security there. Only there it can be a valid criteria...

Last edited by ThePlagueRat; April 1, 2003 at 17:44.
Old April 2, 2003, 14:58   #6
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

It may seem irrelevant but your PC or rank counts sometimes as a "degree". You can be twice as smart as anybody out there in the real world, but you still won't be hired if you don't have a college degree to back you up.

A high post count doesn't by default make you better or worse, but it makes you "known". I do not like to judge people on basis of their rank personally but I guess it is up to each team to decide their criteria.

If you really want to join GS I suggest you start posting in the Strat forum and trust me, they'll notice.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old April 2, 2003, 15:33   #7
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 00:34
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Certainly, my first impression of a person's ability to contribute to a PTW team increases if I see that he has a high PC, because I assume that if he posts much, it means that he also reads much. Of course, this assumption fails to meet the facts in many cases, but it doesn't matter since I don't judge people by my first impression of them.
That's my twenty million nanodollars.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old April 2, 2003, 17:07   #8
MegloManiac
Chieftain

ok this is one more post count on my record
Old April 2, 2003, 17:57   #9
ThePlagueRat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen

If you really want to join GS I suggest you start posting in the Strat forum and trust me, they'll notice.
Why would anyone post in that forum to let GS see them?

I just post in the strategy forums when I got a reason for it, and want strategy tips for new games on certain levels. E.g. a whole new and interresting game situation happened to me.

It's many nice forums here, but I will never judge anyone by that so called "degree" postcount. (ok, perhaps I like some avatars better than others) Like Master Zen's. Well, I see both Emperors and Settlers making fools out of themselves every time I visit these pages. So I find it ridiculous judging anything out of postcount.
Old April 2, 2003, 18:16   #10
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 18:34
The postcount thing is silly.

As for GS, we've got 23 people already, that's the main thing. I don't care if someone is a "settler." I was a "settler" when I registered and it's not like I was a CivII newbie at the time. I'd been playing for years, but had only just discovered this site.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 2, 2003, 18:51   #11
ThePlagueRat
King

Yeah, you made a point there.
Old April 2, 2003, 19:40   #12
MegloManiac
Chieftain

and here is another
Old April 2, 2003, 20:07   #13
ThePlagueRat
King

Please Meglo... Help me win the discussion instead.
Old April 2, 2003, 21:32   #14
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by ThePlagueRat
Why would anyone post in that forum to let GS see them?

I just post in the strategy forums when I got a reason for it, and want strategy tips for new games on certain levels. E.g. a whole new and interresting game situation happened to me.

It's many nice forums here, but I will never judge anyone by that so called "degree" postcount. (ok, perhaps I like some avatars better than others) Like Master Zen's. Well, I see both Emperors and Settlers making fools out of themselves every time I visit these pages. So I find it ridiculous judging anything out of postcount.
I'm not saying that its right or it's fair. Just like there are many people in RL who are very smart yet don't have degrees and it is unfair that they have less opportunities... same here, it ain't fair. However, from the PoV of the "administrator" he needs to facilitate the selection process and will therefore use the "degree" as insurance as to someone's qualifications.

Meglo, why don't you formally ask some other teams?

BTW PlagueRat, I also like your avatar, it's one of the coolest out there

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old April 2, 2003, 21:55   #15
ThePlagueRat
King

Thanks... *ouch* waitaminute, I got something in my eye!
Old April 3, 2003, 10:03   #16
MegloManiac
Chieftain

Yes i do ask them but after doing that several times ( i might just be lazy) i decided to ask people just right out in the forum, but iam not asking anyone derectly. Also PlagueRat win the discussion? I didnt really realize a debate. But MasterZen isnt being mean. He has a good point, it is somthing of a degree. So i have to find a easy way to spam and have nobodey notice. I got it! ill stay up late posting lmy 2 cents on every thread in other forums! but ill do it this weakend. another thing, i threw up like 4 times this month. i think it is from playing starcraft brood war in battle.net, you got about 50000 units coming at each other several times in one game its bound to make you puke. not to mention whatching jackass.
Old April 3, 2003, 10:06   #17
MegloManiac
Chieftain

Second! IAM reporting all your foul mouth post to the moderator! you all had the letters f, u, c, and k! in your posts! this means your posting sublimitable messages in your post!!
Old April 3, 2003, 10:07   #18
MegloManiac
Chieftain

third visit www.albinoblacksheep.com
Old April 3, 2003, 10:35   #19
ThePlagueRat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MegloManiac
i threw up like 4 times this month. i think it is from playing starcraft brood war in battle.net, you got about 50000 units coming at each other several times in one game its bound to make you puke. not to mention whatching jackass.
I was about to throw up yesterday when I was shown the pictures of civilian victims in Iraq. Independent sources say it's about 500 +/- civilian losses already.

I got so sick, I don't dare playing any warfare computergames now. I can only play civ-games, since there you can't see the killing.
Old April 3, 2003, 10:50   #20
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

MegloManiac:

Spamming isn't exactly something that will pave your way into one of the teams.

You must have misunderstood something. We are not interested in postcounts. We are interested in knowing the person who wants to join us and even though a high postcount alone won't make you wanted, it will make you known.

It is more like this: having a high postcount, the probability that somebody from the teams saw/read your posts rises.
He then goes in the private forums and says to his mates: "Hey, this guy is cool, he has personality, he is a master of civ3, he has humour, he is a great roleplayer, he is intelligent, he is a fierce warmonger, he is a genious planner, etc: let him in the team!"
Or, on the contrary, he may say to them: "This guy is an idiot, he's childish, he's boring, the only thing he does well is spamming, he whines all the time, and so on. I'd never let him in our team. Actually I already put him on my ignore list"

I hope you understand it now.
Everybody here was a newby first so don't give up, but try to be a man and act accordingly. For instance, you could start following some good advice: Why don't you join, like others suggested, the SPDG? Posting some good ideas there will make you known and wanted.
--Woody Allen
Old April 3, 2003, 15:38   #21
ThePlagueRat
King

I think I'll have to agree with Tiberius here... You win the debate man! If the people who moderate this site find someone spamming they can actually use a postcount reduction. How ironic?

Anyway, when I first came here I found out I was kinda different than everyone else. And I started being a smartass and critisized alsmost everything I read... a bit too arrogant. After some time I found that more and more people had things in common with me, and we could discuss things properly. Apolytoners are nice people. (most of the time) But I still do a lot of critisizing, it's kinda my destiny to be a little plague. I just have to be polite with people, and everything's gonna be allright. I hope not everyone still hates me.

Old April 3, 2003, 15:59   #22
MegloManiac
Chieftain

uhhh yah, i coul,dnt put everything in one post and i just came up with new things to say. lol second really dont throw up about people in iraq becuase I just see this arab dude with a gun laying down in the middle of the street, in the fashion my brother lays down. I think i throw up becuase of the animation on the screen, you may have noticed i posted this while you were probley at work, becuase i was sick and had to go home. blah blah blah, and well, what i am going to do will not be spamming, you wont see how i will get a higher post count all you will see is my post count skyrocket for no apparent reason.... ah hem. errr, yah.
now a couple of you make me get the impression that you are to serious! like tiberus, if i picture him in my miund i think of him as overmature guy wearing brown, gardening befor he goes to a gold course, and he isnt to happy either. Even one guy i ran into on apolyton made me think he is clinically depressed. uhhh well i get 2 new ideas and ill make a thread out of them both. for post count really but they are not spamming there just things i wanted to tell others about.. one is about money and another about your own personal avatar on this site!
Old April 3, 2003, 16:02   #23
MegloManiac
Chieftain

also dude tiberiouse, whats with the evil wolf dude, i mean its like from that movie call of the wild. That also makes the cloak i picture you with more brown, or mabye blue, you might be saying WTF IS THIS GUY TAKLING ABOUT. but i cant answer that becuase i have no idea either
Old April 3, 2003, 16:28   #24
MegloManiac
Chieftain

www.albinoblacksheep.com
Old April 3, 2003, 17:09   #25
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MegloManiac
now a couple of you make me get the impression that you are to serious!
I thought you were serious about wanting to join a team. Well, I suppose you were not.

Quote:
like tiberus, if i picture him in my miund i think of him as overmature guy wearing brown, gardening befor he goes to a gold course, and he isnt to happy either.
Other than the fact that I don't have a brown gardening nor a garden, and I don't go to gold courses, the rest is pretty much exact

Edit: and I'm sorry if my doggie had scared your chickens. Don't worry, he is so
--Woody Allen

Last edited by Tiberius; April 3, 2003 at 17:15.
Old April 3, 2003, 17:34   #26
ThePlagueRat
King

Yeah, your doggie is kinda snee... uh, smiling too.

I'm outta here!
Old April 3, 2003, 18:46   #27
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 18:34
Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius
Other than the fact that I don't have a brown gardening nor a garden, and I don't go to gold courses, the rest is pretty much exact
Yeah, I'm the one that goes to the gold courses, get it right...
Old April 3, 2003, 20:07   #28
MegloManiac
Chieftain

what do you think about my anti money thoery. it should be used for mabye 10 turns max
Old April 4, 2003, 10:47   #29
MegloManiac
Chieftain

Ok, I need to tell you guys somthing; you know the anti-money theory well thats my brother's theory. Its not a theory its a stupid idea becuase it only works on cheiftain level. He is hurting my rep, eks.
Most of my misspelling is becuase I don't take time to even type out what I am saying and then that makes me look immature.......... uhhh www.albinoblacksheep.com
Old April 4, 2003, 11:08   #30
ThePlagueRat
King

It's just to relax, and take a deep breath while you type. Then you'll look mature!