Old March 25, 2003, 23:27   #1
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 16:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Do we want to try to have a $Mini-Game with the new Democracy game.
Deleted

Last edited by GhengisFarb™; June 22, 2003 at 09:59.
Old March 26, 2003, 08:14   #2
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

YES!!!

Teach me a bit more on how the calculations work and Ill take a region later.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old March 26, 2003, 11:13   #3
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
YES!!!

Teach me a bit more on how the calculations work and Ill take a region later.
Yay! That will make a HUGE difference in the longevity of the game. The computation of the final sale prices wasn't that bad, but calculating each players transactions and bank balances were killers.

I'm thinking we should have Market Makers like the real exchanges. Each Market (Food, Shields, Commerce, Alcohol, etc.) could have one Market Maker who tracks and computes the prices and transactions for that specific market. This would make the workload much easier to bear.
Old March 26, 2003, 11:16   #4
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

We could even build it so that the Regional Market head is not allowed to hold any lands in that market to avoid some of the...hard feelings...of last time.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old March 26, 2003, 11:21   #5
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Deleted.

Last edited by GhengisFarb™; June 22, 2003 at 09:59.
Old March 26, 2003, 11:46   #6
Aidun
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4BtSDG TemplarsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 00:34
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I don't understand it at all, could you please explain it a bit to a newbie on the trade issue, I'm more specialized in inter-human-led-states-politics...

Aidun
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG
Old March 26, 2003, 13:46   #7
lmtoops
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCiv4 SP Democracy Game
King

I am very interested, and would like to be a Market Maker.

Like Aidun, I need more information on how the game works.
Old March 26, 2003, 18:05   #8
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Aidun
I don't understand it at all, could you please explain it a bit to a newbie on the trade issue, I'm more specialized in inter-human-led-states-politics...

Aidun
Sure, the day after I clean my notebook of all links, someone asks for an obscure thread...
http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...threadid=59904

Rules, and a directory. I highly recommend you read through at least one or two trading sessions. They were always filled with questions and answers as well.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old March 26, 2003, 19:36   #9
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 17:34
Yes please! I really enjoyed the last one.
Old March 26, 2003, 20:11   #10
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

YES!

I liked playing the last one.
Old March 27, 2003, 04:50   #11
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 09:34
Local Date: November 2, 2010
HELL YES!
Old March 27, 2003, 05:03   #12
Thrumble
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 22:34
Yes! And I do like the idea of doing this with the Citystates game and the different teams all trading together. What markets are we going to have?
Old March 27, 2003, 05:05   #13
Thrumble
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
Sure, the day after I clean my notebook of all links, someone asks for an obscure thread...
http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...threadid=59904
Sorry to post right after myself, but I just clicked the link provided and noticed that the last session is still listed as open. Does this mean I can bid on tiles?
Old March 27, 2003, 09:42   #14
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Sure, just no one is going to pay any attention. That is all been abandoned, but we could possibly use it as a trainer for new people on this game.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old March 27, 2003, 15:34   #15
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

NO

I don't understand it so I don't like it
Old March 27, 2003, 22:40   #16
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Deleted.

Last edited by GhengisFarb™; June 22, 2003 at 10:00.
Old March 29, 2003, 07:59   #17
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 18:34
sure, I'm in...

E_T
Old March 29, 2003, 13:52   #18
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb

Yay! That will make a HUGE difference in the longevity of the game. The computation of the final sale prices wasn't that bad, but calculating each players transactions and bank balances were killers.

I'm thinking we should have Market Makers like the real exchanges. Each Market (Food, Shields, Commerce, Alcohol, etc.) could have one Market Maker who tracks and computes the prices and transactions for that specific market. This would make the workload much easier to bear.
why not make some sort of PHP + mySQL system do do the calculations for you?
Old March 29, 2003, 14:32   #19
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i dont pretend to know the mechanics of the $mini-game, but surely a system could be created.

i mean, come on. if you have a database of every user's holdings, how hard would it be to write a script that updated them?

i'm not sure how things get updated, exactly, but if the need be, you could input some sort of update #s, and they would be applied to everyone's accounts... it really doesn't seem all that complex, to someone completely ignorant to the $mini-game rules
Old March 29, 2003, 14:52   #20
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Deleted.

Last edited by GhengisFarb™; June 22, 2003 at 10:01.
Old March 29, 2003, 15:55   #21
Kuciwalker
Deity

I could write a program that did it all in real-time... but it would have no security.

Well, I could password it...
Old March 29, 2003, 16:01   #22
Kuciwalker
Deity

However, it WOULD take me a while... and it'd be in telnet... /me wavers
Old April 3, 2003, 02:34   #23
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:

That would be nice, and I would think fairly easy as the $Mini-game is fairly simple but alas I have no idea how to set something like that up.

The last one was simply me keeping track of everything in an Excel spreadsheet. I would think if we had a way to run some sort of self updating database/spreadsheet that players could access and input their transactions via the internet it would be far more successful and less time consuming than the last one.
i know PHP and mySQL well enough to throw something together, i suppose, and if sanctioned by Markos, Apolyton could host it (if not, i got a server).

edit: but i know little to nothing of the mini-game itself
Old April 3, 2003, 02:42   #24
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i found a thread here: http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...light=minigame but i'm not sure if these are the updated rules or anything, or if you want to change anything nw that you get a clean start.

try to compose a list of rules / etc and i'll get around to coding it (i have 3 more tests this week, ugh)
Old April 3, 2003, 03:03   #25
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

my first major question about how it works would be with the updating. i'm assuming you'd need it to update everyone's data every day. are the user's holdings based on some sort of central value scale or anything?

ugh, i can't even start coding a framework because i don't know what i'm coding
Old April 3, 2003, 03:06   #26
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

also, if you have any input on how it should be designed (if you have any idea of program / database design), i'm all ears. since you've been dealing with it for a long time, you should know what should go where
Old April 3, 2003, 13:42   #27
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Deleted.

Last edited by GhengisFarb™; June 22, 2003 at 10:01.
Old April 3, 2003, 14:39   #28
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
I can give you the ratios and formulas I used. It would be nice if we could create "tiles" and then have some sort of flag assigning it to its owner. Each player then gets the income from all his owned tiles and it could carry over any unsold goods.
how are tiles sorted? are they given (x,y) coords? as we discover more land, do tiles have to be added?
Old April 3, 2003, 14:43   #29
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

As there appears to be interest, I would recomend starting a new thread with the current rules and recomendations to update them as necessary (I am not familiar and wasn't involved last time, and am not sure if I will be this time).

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old April 3, 2003, 16:22   #30
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

2 tests left for tomorrow, then a CompSci project due next thursday.

all my assignments seem to fall in the same week. but at least i got nothing to do for another 5 or so