View Poll Results: How much do you walk daily?
American - less than 0.6 miles/1km 3 4.62%
American - 0.6-1.2miles/1-2km 9 13.85%
American - 1.2-3 miles/2-5km 5 7.69%
American 3-6 miles/5-10km 4 6.15%
American - more than 6 miles/10km 2 3.08%
Not American - less than 0.6 miles/1km 5 7.69%
Not American - 0.6-1.2miles/1-2km 7 10.77%
Not American - 1.2-3miles/2-5km 17 26.15%
Not American 3-6 miles/5-10km 6 9.23%
Not American - more than 6 miles/10km 5 7.69%
Bananican - Between 1 and 10 Bananican Leagues 2 3.08%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 26, 2003, 18:00   #1
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 00:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
NO-WAR-THREAD about certain cultural differences
I hope seriously that this topic will be little controversial, yet interesting. Distances in US cities are generally much larger than in Europe. Thus it is generally accepted that Americans walk much less by foot. I began thinking about this some days ago when I watched American Beauty and the little ***** was shocked that Kevin Spacey's daughter would walk "more than a mile".

So my question is: How much do you walk on a daily basis, not taking into account walking within your own 4 walls...
Old March 26, 2003, 18:12   #2
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 01:36
around 2kms. from the parking lot to the various uni buildings, and back, and I also walk my dog.
Old March 26, 2003, 18:15   #3
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

I walk about 2 km a day, if only to go to the subway station from home and to come back. I
never use the car in my urban moves, so I walk rather than taking the subway, when the walk would last 20 minutes or less (I walk pretty quickly, that makes 2 km.)
Old March 26, 2003, 18:22   #4
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 23:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I live about 5 minutes walk from the uni and there's very little need for me to be anywhere else during the week, so I rarely walk more than 1km a day, for the time being at least.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old March 26, 2003, 18:26   #5
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 16:36
probably a couple of km a day. Once I am at my office, I often work out of clients offices within the downtown core.

I also bicycle about 30 km a day since I live about 15km from work.
Old March 26, 2003, 18:29   #6
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 18:36
5 km
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old March 26, 2003, 18:32   #7
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 17:36
I don't keep a journal on how much I walk.
Old March 26, 2003, 19:01   #8
August Borms
Prince

On a typical day, not more than 500m; I use my bicycle for distances longer than that (walking sucks)
Old March 27, 2003, 04:23   #9
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Mr.Fun, it's all just guessing

For my part, I walk more than 5km a day - to University and in the afternoon I walk downtown with the baby, so he can sleep a bit. In total, that makes some 6 or 7 km.
Old March 27, 2003, 04:28   #10
Sikander
King

Local Time: 15:36
I walk a lot. I have never owned a car, and have always lived close enough to where I work to be able to walk, or at worst bike to work. I live two miles from work now, and I walk it a few days a week, weather permitting. When I don't walk, I take a bus or use my girlfriend's car (she has two).
Old March 27, 2003, 05:03   #11
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:36
1.5km to school, 1.5km back from school, and probably another 0.5km inside the school.
Old March 27, 2003, 07:31   #12
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Depends on how I go to uni/work: if I go by bike, I bicycle ~30 km per day and walk maybe a few 100 meters at most. When I go by bus, I probably walk 3 kms or something like that. When I go by bike but my bike breaks down again (not a very rare occurance ), I can end up walking 10+ kms
Old March 27, 2003, 09:14   #13
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

For me it varies. If I spend the day at the office then 1-2km. If the sun is shining and I can find an excuse to do a site inspection around the town then I always walk and that can make it 5-6km.

I spend too much time behind a desk so I get out and walk if I can.
Old March 27, 2003, 10:48   #14
Solly
Emperor

About 2 miles a day.
Old March 27, 2003, 13:13   #15
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
A couple miles/km a day I'd imagine. It takes about 20 minutes for me to walk from home to the centre of town, cutting across the backstreets and stuff. I do that a few times a week (a few times a day on the weekend).

This is due to my amazing inability to drive and the council's amazing inability to update bus timetables.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old March 29, 2003, 23:24   #16
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Wernazuma III
Mr.Fun, it's all just guessing

For my part, I walk more than 5km a day - to University and in the afternoon I walk downtown with the baby, so he can sleep a bit. In total, that makes some 6 or 7 km.
I know -- I was jesting.
Old March 29, 2003, 23:33   #17
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Maybe 3 or 4 miles on weekdays.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old March 29, 2003, 23:40   #18
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 22:36
1.5 miles on weekdays, 4 miles on weekends.
Old March 29, 2003, 23:43   #19
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

My grandparents come from the ancient age where they were deprived and poor, so their mentality is still to walk to places, even if my dad or myself can provide a ride.

My friend has been walking to school since he was little so he walks to places. Also, he hasnt had a car since he became 16 (legal age to get permit in the states), so his mentality is "if I cant walk to places, I wont go" style. Needless to say, he's not much of an outdoor person.

My sister and a different friends case: they've been spoiled since birth and didnt need to walk 2 blocks. Needless to say, they request ride or drive virtually everywhere.

I do what I think is efficient. (gas consumption, mileage over time and my current physical state )
Old March 30, 2003, 00:16   #20
Chilean President™
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Deity

I walk 4 to 5 Km each day. I do have a car, but in this freakin city when you get a parking space you better leave your car there.
From home to downtown Viña del Mar I use the car but in downtown I use mainly my feet.
Old March 30, 2003, 02:44   #21
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Chilean President
I walk 4 to 5 Km each day. I do have a car, but in this freakin city when you get a parking space you better leave your car there.
From home to downtown Viña del Mar I use the car but in downtown I use mainly my feet.

What shall I say? I live in a block directly next to university. The parking situation is incredible, moreover there is a student dormitory. People from there usually come on Sunday afternoon with their cars and only leave again on Friday.
This is the main reason I do virtually everything possible by foot.
Old March 30, 2003, 03:08   #22
Chilean President™
Deity

Hey Werna did you came to Viña del Mar when you lived in Chile?

My problem is that I live in Viña del Mar Alto neighborhood, don't know if you heard of it, so it's impossible for me going to the university or to downtown by walking. Of course I can wait the bus, but taking a public transportation meanwhile I see my little piece of korean technology in my house's garage is just sad.
Anyway is sad until I get to Alvarez St. or Vergara Square (if you came to Viña, you'll know what I'm talking about), 'cause is then when I really get really and

Damn lack of parking spaces! I rather sell my car and buy a bicycle. ...or maybe I could buy a 'Segway'

Last edited by Chilean President™; March 30, 2003 at 03:35.
Old March 30, 2003, 03:21   #23
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 16:36
I walk about 5km a day, if not more. I walk around for an hour or two each day on campus because when I stay put people end up finding me.

I also try to jog nightly weather permitting, but I've never measured how far I jog. I think it's probably a couple km.
Old March 30, 2003, 04:10   #24
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Quote:
Hey Werna did you came to Viña del Mar when you lived in Chile?

My problem is that I live in Viña del Mar Alto neighborhood, don't know if you heard of it, so it's impossible for me going to the university or to downtown by walking. Of course I can wait the bus, but taking a public transportation meanwhile I see my little piece of korean technology in my house's garage is just sad.
Anyway is sad until I get to Alvarez St. or Vergara Square (if you came to Viña, you'll know what I'm talking about), 'cause is then when I really get really and
I've been to Viña del Mar and Valparaíso and I'd like to live there more than in any other place in Chile, spoil La Serena or La Caldera.
Call me a pervert, but I even liked Valparaíso more for its harbor flair and the hills with the elevators. Going out in the evening is 'vacan' there! Viña del Mar is more beautiful but less stylish. The coast with the mole is absolutely gorgeous though.
Old March 30, 2003, 11:58   #25
Nevs23
Chieftain

Not American 3-6 miles/5-10km

Sometimes more.

Old March 30, 2003, 20:15   #26
Chilean President™
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Wernazuma III
I've been to Viña del Mar and Valparaíso and I'd like to live there more than in any other place in Chile, spoil La Serena or La Caldera.
Call me a pervert, but I even liked Valparaíso more for its harbor flair and the hills with the elevators. Going out in the evening is 'vacan' there! Viña del Mar is more beautiful but less stylish. The coast with the mole is absolutely gorgeous though.
Thanks for your nice words
Well, after all you are a 'chilean huevón ad honorem' but is not too far from my own '100% chilean huevonura'

I hope to have some free time in the next weeks and I'll send you pics from here. When was the last time you've been on Chile?
Of course I would like to see pics from your home town... and some of a match of the Sturm Graz with 'Murci' Rojas (he still play there right?)

You're right about Valparaiso, that city at night is pretty cool. The gothic downtown and those greats bar and coffee shops at the feet of the hills are wonderful.

Puta que es lindo mi Chile

Old March 31, 2003, 05:55   #27
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Quote:
I hope to have some free time in the next weeks and I'll send you pics from here. When was the last time you've been on Chile?
Of course I would like to see pics from your home town... and some of a match of the Sturm Graz with 'Murci' Rojas (he still play there right?)
Now you're officially disqualified to visit me! I'm from the other club, GAK. Sturm is satan! I tell you more in time...
Old March 31, 2003, 20:26   #28
Chilean President™
Deity

well, tell the guys of the Sturm that they should send us back Rojas, we need him!.. actually we need his fouls

Hey Werna, we beat yesterday Peru, 2-0 in Santiago Next Wednesday we play the second match in Lima.. we're gonna beat them again

BTW, has the Austrian league already started?