Old March 26, 2003, 18:36   #1
ALPHA WOLF 64
Prince

Local Time: 16:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Have recent world events changed your playing style?
I was curious as to whether the military action in Iraq had changed anyone's playing style. I do miss the ability to attack supply lines.
Old March 26, 2003, 20:07   #2
badams52
King

Local Time: 14:36
Nope, civ and the real world are separate entities.

But I think Bush should reduce Iraq's population with bombardment to prevent culture flipping and then take the cities with MA.
Old March 26, 2003, 21:53   #3
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 08:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Nope. My style remains the same. This is afterall, only a game. Its not like I'm actually going to lead the Vikings or Carthaginians towards world conquest.
Old March 27, 2003, 01:12   #4
ALPHA WOLF 64
Prince

It hasnt changed my style either, but I seem to remember some people saying that they play a real life style. Personally, I try not to fight wars until I can bring overwhelming force on an opponent.

I'm kinda surprised that Basrah and Mosul havent already culturally flipped. Maybe the Shiites and Kurds need to consult with Firaxis in order to do it.
Old March 27, 2003, 07:36   #5
Deathwalker
Prince

Local Time: 22:36
Not in the slightest, you can kill millions in Civ 3. But at the end of the day it's only a game no one gets hurt
Old March 27, 2003, 08:13   #6
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 19:36
I have always been a builder, and the recent world events have only strenghtened that position.
Old March 27, 2003, 08:40   #7
aaglo
King

Local Time: 01:36
Short answer: No

Long answer: Not at all.
Old March 27, 2003, 09:15   #8
Nym
Prince

Local Time: 23:36
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexnm
I have always been a builder, and the recent world events have only strenghtened that position.
Quite the same.
Old March 27, 2003, 11:51   #9
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 17:36
Civ 3 is far from real life. The combat isn't realistic at all.
Old March 27, 2003, 12:07   #10
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 15:36
Nope.

Only factors inside the game affect my play style.
Old March 27, 2003, 12:15   #11
Ubergeek
Chieftain

I can't say that it's changed my play style, but I am more aware of the simulated lives I'm affecting with my actions, if that makes sense. As an example, I actually feel something now when I bombard a city from size 24 to size 3; I think about the little simulated lives that have been lost. It doesn't stop me from doing it, you understand, but I feel bad when I do.
Old March 27, 2003, 12:25   #12
Reinhard-Baer
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
Civ 3 is far from real life. The combat isn't realistic at all.
Right and as far as I know the vikings and iroquois are far away from world domination today
I'm, was and always be a warmonger
I love the armies march, the fleets sail and the Airforce in the sky
Old March 27, 2003, 22:54   #13
pedrojedi
Prince

Well, I can say that sometimes I feel like Blix when I my games are not that well, and I am just a small country trying to make a better world.
Old March 28, 2003, 19:18   #14
NÎght_shade
Settler

Sometimes I like to "play the role".

For example, if I play the Vikings, I'll be a Despotic or Monarch government during the medieval period and make my neighbours completely miserable as I pillage them.

In the modern age, however, I'll be a tame peaceful democracy and would only get into wars if I have to.
Old March 30, 2003, 19:11   #15
King_Henry
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:36
Hammurabi of the Iraqis ! Other than that, absolutely nothing. I'm still a warmonger. Send in the MA !
Old April 1, 2003, 01:57   #16
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 15:36
If we were attacking Iraq in Civ 3 terms, we would have bombed An Nasaryiah and Basra at least down to 6 population (no defense bonus), and we would have razed Karbala and Najaf due to their long history (big cultures).
Old April 1, 2003, 01:58   #17
nationalist
Warlord

No way.
"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796
Old April 1, 2003, 02:12   #18
marcuspeddle
Iron CiversCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 07:36
I was playing a game the other day and the Arabs joined the Chinese in declaring war on me. I said, "why do they hate us?" I'm being facetious but up until that time our relations were good. I attacked the Arabs even though they were a very small weak nation. I felt guilty about that because it mirrors the situation between the U.S. and Iraq and I hate seeing pictures of Bagdad burning every day. The Arabs didn't even have oil in my game. Although they begged for mercy when they were down to one city I wiped them out anyway. What a bully. Perhaps I'm too sensitive.
Old April 1, 2003, 04:38   #19
georges bonbon
Warlord

I haven't changed my style.

Only yesterday I advanced too deep into enemy territory with modern armour. The AI-Bombers destroyed all roads and railroads to my new cities.

So there I was, in the middle of nowhere, with 16 crippled modern armour in 2 cities (without barracks) and no easy way to get in mechanised infantry or some other support.

Lost the 2 cities and the armour, so it made me think about the real thing.

At the beginning of the attack I was convinced nothing could go wrong........................
Old April 1, 2003, 07:03   #20
Fatalis2
Settler

Not at all, because I've always been convinced by the "Powell doctrine" : only go to war when you are absolutely sure to smash your opponent...

But sometimes this was my weakness too : a very rude civ that didn't leave me time enough to built my enormous army
Old April 1, 2003, 07:26   #21
Reinhard-Baer
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Anatolia
Perhaps I'm too sensitive.
Well yes, perhaps a little bit but always remember this are just pixel. You can't really hurt anyone and this little soldiers you create are just there to be smashed against the next possible civ and-the best of all-when you start a new game tada all civs are back and unharmed. So you see there is no way you should show mercy to the AI because in the end they will stab you or will annoy you so much with all their little crappy demands that you immediately start to wipe them out.
Old April 1, 2003, 15:15   #22
Thirgaral
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG2 Sunshine
Warlord

Local Time: 23:36
Of course you have to be sensitive...

I was once near destroying a poor english civilization, but I just couldnīt do it so I deported them to a nice little tundra-island and let them live there in peace and harmony until the end of world.

But thatīs how nice I was before the war in Iraq...
Old April 1, 2003, 17:16   #23
ALPHA WOLF 64
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by georges bonbon
Only yesterday I advanced too deep into enemy territory with modern armour. The AI-Bombers destroyed all roads and railroads to my new cities.

So there I was, in the middle of nowhere, with 16 crippled modern armour in 2 cities (without barracks) and no easy way to get in mechanised infantry or some other support.

Lost the 2 cities and the armour, so it made me think about the real thing.

At the beginning of the attack I was convinced nothing could go wrong........................
out of curiosity. what did the AI hit you with? Didn't you have any airbourne to drop in for support? I tend to hold most captured cities with only a few damaged units, and rarely lose one to a counter attack. I'm wondering if I need to modify my strategy slightly to account for better AI strategies.
Old April 1, 2003, 17:18   #24
ALPHA WOLF 64
Prince

altho I made the change long before the war started, I'm really glad that I had made guerillas invisible and offensive. They harass my rear areas quite effectively at times. I had thought about removing the invisible flag, but after watching the war coverage, I definitely plan to keep it now.
Old April 2, 2003, 13:51   #25
Ubergeek
Chieftain

Alpha Wolf, that's a great suggestion on the guerillas. I've dramatically altered the values on all units after cavalry, but I hadn't come up with a way to make guerillas useful. Your idea looks to be just the thing. I'm starting another game tonight and I will steal it!
Old April 2, 2003, 15:34   #26
David Murray
Prince

Actually, yes; my style of civ-playing has changed as a consequence of recent events. I've added a new unit to my game: a happy, beret-wearing soldier. He goes about distributing water and rations to the enemy population in order to try to win over their 'hearts and minds'. And whenever I invade a neighbour because he's annoying me, or because I want his saltpetre, I let his people know that I'm actually just liberating them from a dictatorial regime and that I won't take all the saltpetre for myself.
Old April 2, 2003, 16:16   #27
ALPHA WOLF 64
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Ubergeek
Alpha Wolf, that's a great suggestion on the guerillas. I've dramatically altered the values on all units after cavalry, but I hadn't come up with a way to make guerillas useful. Your idea looks to be just the thing. I'm starting another game tonight and I will steal it!
be careful of their stats tho. i made them too cheap and thats the only offensive unit the AI would build. I made them half the stats of regular infantry which means they'd take alot of losses, but they were so darn annoying that i had units strung all the way back to my bases defending RR and roads, and airfields. Would be great for a primarily defensive civ.
Old April 2, 2003, 16:40   #28
Ubergeek
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by ALPHA WOLF 64

be careful of their stats tho. i made them too cheap and thats the only offensive unit the AI would build. I made them half the stats of regular infantry which means they'd take alot of losses, but they were so darn annoying that i had units strung all the way back to my bases defending RR and roads, and airfields. Would be great for a primarily defensive civ.
Guerillas are the only unit where I haven't changed their stats, mainly because I didn't know what the heck to do with them. I considered either giving them a movement of 2 and the ability to ignore all terrain, or have them treat all terrain as roads, but neither of those ideas is as good as yours. I will certainly make them wimpy in a straight-up fight, as they should be, but the whole invisible thing will make them wonderfully aggravating.
Old April 3, 2003, 14:50   #29
ALPHA WOLF 64
Prince

if you really want to make them aggravating, make them maint-free so that the AI can have tons of them without killing their economy. its so aggravating to leave a heavily damaged unit in the "rear" and lose it to an unseen enemy. I made it so guerilla can see invisible so now i have to keep them with my forces. It really gave smaller civs a chance to do some limited offensive damage instead of just sitting there being rolled over.
Old April 3, 2003, 23:53   #30
pedrojedi
Prince

Invisible Guerrilhas are nice; perhaps even giving a capacity to treat every tile as roads, to make them a little useful in offensive too. That would be cool.