Old March 26, 2003, 21:10   #1
mactbone
Prince

Local Time: 17:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What are the Pros and Cons of a bilingual society?
I'm asking this because in my mind it seems that this will be the case in the U.S. if the current trends continue. I'm not going to say it's a bad thing that many advertisements and products now are in Spanish as well as English, it's their job to make money and if people only speak Spanish then you have to reach them. At the same time I think that it could hurt the integration of Spanish speaking people into mainstream American culture. While that may not be a bad thing per se it probably won't help Spanish speaking people get jobs in this country*. I also wonder if it's a feasible option to have Spanish speaking public education in certain areas.

*What I'm saying is that most companies don't want to hire someone who can't speak the same language as them, meaning that eventually enough business owners may be speaking Spanish and hire Spanish speaking people, but until that happens the corporate culture is in English.
-Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"
Old March 26, 2003, 21:15   #2
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 18:36
I've worked in a bilingual environment (duh)

As long as there's a fair degree of bilingualism in the society everything works...
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old March 26, 2003, 21:17   #3
Tuberski

There are more and more job openings, where being bi lingual is preferred.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old March 26, 2003, 21:37   #4
mactbone
Prince

Yes, I can see that it's possible to work but is it more expensive for schools? Are there people that only speak one of the languages? Does the government have a hard time filling positions with qualified bilingual applicants? Does this make it easier or harder for trade and business in general?
Old March 26, 2003, 21:44   #5
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by MacTBone
Yes, I can see that it's possible to work but is it more expensive for schools? Are there people that only speak one of the languages? Does the government have a hard time filling positions with qualified bilingual applicants? Does this make it easier or harder for trade and business in general?
I don't see how it would be much more expensive for schools, they all teach English. However requiring at least one semester of spanish wouldn't hurt.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old March 26, 2003, 21:44   #6
KrazyHorse
Deity

More expensive? Why?

Kids don't learn very much in elementary school anyway. Teaching them a second language with some time that would have been thrown away on some other crap anyway is a pretty good use of their time in my books.

There are a great deal of "unilinguals" in Quebec...but they're not on the island of Montreal. There used to be a significant number of English unilinguals on the island (and some French ones) but ever since the linguistic ghettoisation has started to disappear the kids have started becoming proficient in both, of course.

There's a great wealth of bilingualism in Quebec as compared to the rest of Canada...well, minus New Brunswick. That's why a lot of the federal civil service posts (many of which require bilingualism) are filled by Quebecers.

Bilingualism doesn't hurt, in general. As long as it's normal for people to speak both languages then things work. If there are two linguistic groups living side by side who refuse to learn each other's language then there can be problems.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old March 26, 2003, 21:47   #7
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
However requiring at least one semester of spanish wouldn't hurt.
One semester?

Eek. One semester won't teach you anything. In addition to having an hour of French class every day from the age of 5 to the age of 18, grades 4,5,6,7 and 8 were spent in French immersion (basically every class except English taught in French).

And I'm still not as bilingual as I could be.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old March 26, 2003, 21:55   #8
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 06:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Re: What are the Pros and Cons of a bilingual society?
Quote:
Originally posted by MacTBone
At the same time I think that it could hurt the integration of Spanish speaking people into mainstream American culture.
That's the old "Melting Pot" theory, which seems to be a bit outdated by now. A modern society is now thought to be more akin to a mosaic, which each group of people retaining their own cultural identity.
Old March 26, 2003, 21:57   #9
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Frogger
Quote:
However requiring at least one semester of spanish wouldn't hurt.
One semester?

Eek. One semester won't teach you anything. In addition to having an hour of French class every day from the age of 5 to the age of 18, grades 4,5,6,7 and 8 were spent in French immersion (basically every class except English taught in French).

And I'm still not as bilingual as I could be.
True, but those who like the class will continue it, those who don't, won't learn anything even if forced to continue it.

ACK!
Old March 26, 2003, 22:01   #10
mindseye
King

Local Time: 06:36
In this era of globalization, the enormous benefits of multiliguism overwhelmingly outweigh the relatively minor costs. Being unilingual will increasingly become a serious disadvantage in many areas.

Quote:
I also wonder if it's a feasible option to have Spanish speaking public education in certain areas.
Even better if the public school system required second language study [default language: Spanish] for grades 1 - 12. The next generation will thank us for our foresight.

Last edited by mindseye; March 26, 2003 at 22:21.
Old March 26, 2003, 22:15   #11
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 00:36
Isn't it mandatory to learn a foreign language at school, in the US ?
Old March 26, 2003, 22:31   #12
mactbone
Prince

Yep, well at least I needed three years of it to have an Academic Honors Dimploma (which basically gives you automatic admission to all the State Schools). The options at our school, which as I understand it are about average, were German, Spanish and French. In the first couple of my years in High School, Spanish enrollment was #1, then French and German after a pretty wide margin. By the end of High School, German was close to overtaking French, mainly because of a decline in French enrollment and a lack of a smiliar decline in German. Our school also had an ESL (English as a Second Language) class.

I would think it would be more expensive because we would be importing teachers from other countries (if we're talking pure Spanish speakers) and if we use bilingual teachers, they would expect and deserve a higher salary.

I also assume it would cost more to bilingualize the government - did funding significantly change in Canada when that Quebec-bilingual thing happened?
Old March 26, 2003, 22:40   #13
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 15:36
con: white ignorant conservative americans wont know what to do and will get violent
Old March 26, 2003, 22:52   #14
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by MRT144
con: white ignorant conservative americans wont know what to do and will get violent
Not all white men are ignorant conservatives, nor are all conservative ignorant.

Look at Dubya, he sounds more fluent in Spanish than he does in English.

ACK!
Old March 26, 2003, 22:54   #15
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

This board would be very boring if people wouldn't learn others lingo's

american: I'm pro war !!!
English: Me too !!
American: Good!!!
English: Yeah...

j/k
Old March 26, 2003, 23:23   #16
Kontiki
King

Bilingualism in and of itself is not bad, but IMO it doesn't make too much sense unless the demographics are right. For example, Canada today really needn't be bilingual given that there is a great degree of concentration and a small and ever-shrinking percentage (>25%) that speak French as a first language. Over at least 75% of our landmass, having dual-language signs, government employees, etc. are pretty useless.

Still, I don't think that we should abandon bilingualism simply because A) it is deeply rooted in our country, B) it doesn't do any real harm and C) it's always good to learn another language, and this way we have a built in excuse.
Old March 26, 2003, 23:30   #17
Tuberski

That reminds me of the movie Canadian Bacon. Where the Americans go into Canada with signs that say Canada sucks and such.

They get pulled over because they didn't write the slogans in French as well.

Funniest part of the movie.

ACK!
Old March 26, 2003, 23:41   #18
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 07:36
Pro: I get tired of hearing women in passion yelling "Agathon, YES YES" so I don't mind if they say "OUI OUI" instead.

Con: I don't speak French and communicating by hand signals is both socially obvious and embarrassing.
Old March 26, 2003, 23:50   #19
Drake Tungsten
Deity

I can't really think of any pros to a bilingual society. The only reason to have one is if demographics force it upon you...

Quote:
That's the old "Melting Pot" theory, which seems to be a bit outdated by now.
It isn't outdated at all.
Old March 26, 2003, 23:56   #20
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 16:36
It's a total, complete, and annoying waste of money.

Rather than having lots of detailed nutrient/diet details on Canadian food products, we've got dual-labels -- one in English, one in French.

And in Alberta, less than 5% of Albertans speak French natively (about 3 times that speak some Chinese dialect natively, but that doesn't matter in Canada).

It's ridiculous.
Old March 26, 2003, 23:57   #21
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

I thought the US was now going along the "American Salad" lines, i.e a territory where distinct communities live together and interact, but do not melt.
At least, that'w what I understood from the acknowledgment of the existence of separate communities, hate crimes etc.
Old March 26, 2003, 23:58   #22
Frogman
Chieftain

Teaching language in school is ok but it really doesn't accomplish that much. People in the US don't learn other languages because its just so rare that we get to use a second language often enough to be fluent. The only exception is kids who are born into bilingual homes, especially homes where english is the second language. Still, it doesn't take that many generations before the old language gets lost. My great grandmother only spoke italian and she lived in NY for 75 years (lived to 108) Her great grandkids don't speak but a couple words of Italian.

My mom is irish, gaelic was her first language, now you go to Ireland and you can't find a gaelic speaking area.

English is the language of the internet as evidenced by this board. The whole world is required to learn english as a second language and it has become the universal language.

Of course the world would be a much less interesting place if we all spoke the same language and the loss of culture would be tragic but we are losing languages everyday. The trend is for fewer not more living languages. With the influx of primarily spanish speaking immigrants into the US, spanish will be strong, but the trend will be for it to diminish if new immigrants stop coming in.

Montreal is interesting, the French are fighting hard to maintain control. Some of the laws about what language appears on signs and the size of the typeface is humerous until you realize that without constant effort, Montreal would soon become a primarily english speaking city.

Learning a second language is great, but you better be sure one of the languages you know is english. I would be curious to see the shape of language in 500 years. My bet is that many languages will be gone.
Old March 27, 2003, 00:07   #23
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
I thought the US was now going along the "American Salad" lines, i.e a territory where distinct communities live together and interact, but do not melt.
I don't think that the US conciously chose to abandon the "melting pot", but massive levels of immigration have made it hard to maintain. The "salad bowl" is definitely developing, but it's hard to think of it as a good thing...
Old March 27, 2003, 00:11   #24
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
The trend is for fewer not more living languages.
If it's one thing history has shown, it is that trends come and go.
-

New languages are still created too, in 500 years (to take your example) english and american and australian could turn into something completely different.
Old March 27, 2003, 00:19   #25
Frogman
Chieftain

Alva, I doubt it. Geography means nothing now. Unless we get nuked back to the stone age, the world is too closely tied for languages to develop in isolation. TV, the internet, movies, ease of travel will do more to blend the languages than fracture them.

What new language gets created? None. The list of dead and dieing languages on the other hand is quite long.
Old March 27, 2003, 00:24   #26
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Quote:
I don't think that the US conciously chose to abandon the "melting pot", but massive levels of immigration have made it hard to maintain. The "salad bowl" is definitely developing, but it's hard to think of it as a good thing...
What massive levels of immigration? The immigration rate was much higher in the early 20th century.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old March 27, 2003, 00:27   #27
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
What massive levels of immigration? The immigration rate was much higher in the early 20th century.
Levels are higher today than they have ever been.

http://www.fairus.org/html/04129611.htm
Old March 27, 2003, 00:31   #28
Kontiki
King

The numbers are higher, but the rates are lower. According to your link, in 2001 there were about 1 million immigrant, or about 1/280th of the population. The rates were much higher in the early 20th century. Look at the years 1901-1914 - almost the same in pure numbers as 1989 - present, but with a much lower overall population.
Old March 27, 2003, 00:32   #29
KrazyHorse
Deity

That's in absolute numbers. The population of the US was much lower before, therefore the immigration rate was higher.

Absolute numbers have very little significance.

Is it more important to the people affected when 50 new people move into a town of 100 or when 5000 move into a metropolis of 10 million?
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old March 27, 2003, 00:35   #30
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
That's in absolute numbers. The population of the US was much lower before, therefore the immigration rate was higher.
What's your point? You said that today's immigrations levels aren't "massive". I gave you a link showing that in absolute terms they are the highest in history. Even if you go by immigrants as a percentage of population, they are still huge. You are wrong...