Old March 26, 2003, 23:28   #1
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 18:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Help with ship list
OkI am not afraid to expose my ignorancein regard to this game.

Here is a picture of the ship list. what are the meanings of blue dots?
Why does the listed colony ship not move out?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	galciv.bmp
Views:	22
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	40806  
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2003, 02:47   #2
vmxa1
Deity

Let me see if it will fit as a jpeg.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	galciv.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	40820  
Old March 27, 2003, 02:52   #3
vmxa1
Deity

Ok now can someone tell me where is this colony ship 210?
I think scout 2 is on its way back to get refueled (I found it).
Hero I know about.
What do those numbers tell one? Lvl, I get, one set must be move points another HP ( likely 14/44/20/10)
Old March 27, 2003, 12:36   #4
Gateway103
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:37
Note, I am not a beta tester nor an owner of GalCiv, yet. So the followings are educated guesses made from reading GalCiv manual (on the website), as well as following the materials on GalCiv.

Anyway, the numbers...
"LvL: 0 0/ 1/ 10 s: 04,04"

* "LvL: 0" is evidently Level.
* "0/1/10" I believe is Attack/Defense/Movement in that order.
* "S: 04,04" I believe referring to sector 04,04.

The blue dots to the right, which forms an arrow is the move-to currently-looking-at-sector feature I believe.

I.e., say you are looking at sector 03,03, and you found a nice juicy planet which you want you colony ship 210 to go to. Rather than hunt down the ship and issue the move order, you can, while still looking at sector 03,03, press the arrow next to colonyship 210, and it'll move to that sector.

-Gateway103
Gateway103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2003, 14:17   #5
Eric S
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Gateway103
Note, I am not a beta tester nor an owner of GalCiv, yet. So the followings are educated guesses made from reading GalCiv manual (on the website), as well as following the materials on GalCiv.
The manual doesn't help much, as it's only a slightly fleshed out version of the online manual. It has one sentance on this panel, and that sentance just confirms what you said about the arrow.

Quote:
Anyway, the numbers...
"LvL: 0 0/ 1/ 10 s: 04,04"

* "LvL: 0" is evidently Level.
* "0/1/10" I believe is Attack/Defense/Movement in that order.
* "S: 04,04" I believe referring to sector 04,04.

The blue dots to the right, which forms an arrow is the move-to currently-looking-at-sector feature I believe.
I believe you're right. I wish it showed moves remaining on that list somewhere.
Eric S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2003, 15:11   #6
vmxa1
Deity

I do not understand what is going on (that is for sure), for several turns I selected the CS form the list and tried to send it somewhere. It never moved or showed up.
I started today and was able to see an icon in the HW that shows two ships in orbit. I selected the CS and clicked on a point nearby and the ship popped out of orbit.
I still have not figured out if I must take action to load colonist into the ship or not.
I still do not know how far a ship can travel and what tech will increase the range. I have had to send scouts back to the HW for resupply.
I have run into msg saying the location I want to send the ship is out of reach?
I read Yins report and wondered how long a time frame he was dealing with as it seems to me I am in no position to send out lots of CS as I have not found that many systems to colonize.
Old March 27, 2003, 15:49   #7
wilebill
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:37
I have spent my first three game nights trying to build and launch a colony ship without success. On another thread the advice was to use the slider to set the total number of colonists aboard and then click the small Launch button to the lower right of the ship list. It is something to try. The ##/##/##/## is not explicitly explained in the manual or I just missed it. I love this game, what I can see of it. I wish the release documentation had been better.
wilebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2003, 16:09   #8
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

I had problems with colonization, too. Try this: find the system you built the ship in and left-click it. Underneath the planet list for the system there is a stack ship list. One of the ships there is your colony ship; if you hover your mouse over each symbol it'll give you a ship description. Click the ship to highlight it then click the little ship-with-green-arrow icon in the upper right of the stack ship miniscreen. This will bring up the colonist screen. I always leave this as default. This will put your colony ship on the map. Right click the star you want to send it to. When the ship gets to the new system it will ask you to rename it. After it does this YOU HAVE TO PICK A PLANET FOR IT TO GO TO!!! It only took me about forty-five minutes to figure out why my colony ship wouldn't colonize the planet. The next turn your colony will be established.

I hope that helped or at least partially addressed your question.
Harry Seldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2003, 16:39   #9
vmxa1
Deity

So sending one to a system i not enough, I miss select a particular planet to colonize? Ok.
Do I have to manually load pop before I send it or will it fill on its own?
It looked like it was in the process of filling the ship andif so does it take any time or is it instantly done?
I have not spent much time as yet, so I will start over.
Old March 27, 2003, 17:26   #10
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

It will autofill an amount. You can go lower or higher depending on what you choose. Once you click ok on that screen the colony ship should immediately pop up next to your star. When you get to a system, it'll display a congrats and ask if you want to rename the system. After you choose, the box disappears, the star is highlighted, and the star map appears on the right-hand side of the screen. If you run your mouse over each planet, a tiny colony ship will appear next to it. Pick the one you want and click it. If you don't do it right, your ship will appear next to the star on the next turn. If you do it correctly, you'll get to choose production for your new planet.
Harry Seldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2003, 23:03   #11
vee4473
King

Local Time: 17:37
vmx,

did you take a look at the "survival guide"? You can launch it from the start menu where the game is.

I just browsed it , and it seems to repeat alot of what the manual says, but still adds a little more info here and there i think.

at least that 's what Brad says on the galciv forums.
Old March 27, 2003, 23:10   #12
vmxa1
Deity

Yeah I looked it over. Anyway I think I am finally getting the hang of it.
I just expected the ships list to display the movements, but it does not.
It is level/ att/def/ hp and sector location.
I got some trades going and tech swaps and slowly finding my way around.
I wish they had a PF key to scroll around the ships regardless of the movement left. The TAB is not much use as the ships have all moved.
SE had a nice scroll around the ships function. Even the Moo PF was useful.
Old March 28, 2003, 14:56   #13
Eric S
Warlord

My biggest gripe about the tab key (the find button does the same thing) is that if I hit it once and it takes me to a ship that I don't want to deal with yet, if I hit it again, it finds the same ship again.

I'm enjoying the game so far, and I'm not even close to playing on levels where the AI isn't handicapped. And to think that the only advantage the AI has over me is that it knows where the yellow stars are, it doesn't even know if there are good planets around them.
Eric S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2003, 16:16   #14
vmxa1
Deity

Yeah, I figure I may as well piddle around until I have an understand of how the game works. If I like it, I will have plenty of time to get up the difficulty levels.