Old March 31, 2003, 12:07   #31
Nimitz
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG LegolandNever Ending StoriesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Local Time: 17:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hey an answer to point one a team can just ignore a resolution, hey they do it all the time in RL.
Old March 31, 2003, 14:57   #32
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 00:38
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by lmtoops
Why I am against the UN:

1. A team cannot do what's best (for the team) because the UN has voted against it.
You can always do it and ignore the UN, of course, if you feel strong enough or can find supporters for your action. If everybody strongly disagrees with a team's action, that action would be countered anyway, with or without the UN.

Quote:
2. Since there are so few teams, it is easy to influence a small few to push through favorable decisions.
That's the beauty of it (besides, there should be 2/3 majority rule).
--Woody Allen
Old March 31, 2003, 18:19   #33
mjmacy
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 16:38
why I'm for the UN:

1. gives a small team the ability to effect the game more

2. Increases importance of diplomacy

3. Increases importance of keeping deals and maintaining public opinion

4. Vox should have been allowed to settle
"Do not honour the worthy, And the people will not compete. Do not value rare treasures, And people will not steal. Do not display what people want, And the people will not have their hearts confused. A sage governs this way: He empties peoples minds and fills their bellies. He weakens their wills and strengthens their bone. Keep the people always without knowledge and without desires, For then the clever will not dare act. Engage in no action and order will prevail."-Loazi "The Classic of The Way and Its Powers"
Old March 31, 2003, 19:18   #34
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by mjmacy
4. Vox should have been allowed to settle
Veto!
Old March 31, 2003, 21:11   #35
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

* UN orders a combined multi-team Coalition to invade and destroy Vox for comments like those

damn, I love the UN!!

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old March 31, 2003, 21:17   #36
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Local Time: 18:38
Ok, I'm going to try and have a draft proposal for the creation of the UN up later tonight... be sure to give me some feedback!
Old March 31, 2003, 21:43   #37
mjmacy
Prince

UN appoints Master Zen as "funniest man alive"
"Do not honour the worthy, And the people will not compete. Do not value rare treasures, And people will not steal. Do not display what people want, And the people will not have their hearts confused. A sage governs this way: He empties peoples minds and fills their bellies. He weakens their wills and strengthens their bone. Keep the people always without knowledge and without desires, For then the clever will not dare act. Engage in no action and order will prevail."-Loazi "The Classic of The Way and Its Powers"
Old April 1, 2003, 00:54   #38
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
UN appoints Master Zen as "funniest man alive"
VETO!!!!

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old April 1, 2003, 01:22   #39
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Draft Resolution 001:
Formation of a United Nations of Apolyton

Whereas all nations of the world are equal in the eyes of the law, an internation body is needed to let all settle disputes in a diplomatic and just manner.

Whereas is a great danger to all peoples of the world, peaceful solutions should be sought after with the greatest dilligence.

Let it be that this resolution shall achieve the following

1. Approve the establishment of a United Nations

2. Grant the right to each civilization of the world to appoint one representative to the council.

3. Appoint a Secretary General from the representatives on a rotational basis (in order of turn play) for a term of 15 turns.

4. Grant represenatives the right to draft further powers for the council in a democratic and timely fashion.
Old April 1, 2003, 12:15   #40
mjmacy
Prince

I think we should have two members but one vote. In case some is out of town or something along those lines. I guess it doesn't really matter.

Is the Secretary General rotating in the way turns are? in that order?

Is there anyway to break a tie? ie. Sec. Gen. gets two votes, but only if it is a tie.
Old April 1, 2003, 13:11   #41
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:
I think we should have two members but one vote. In case some is out of town or something along those lines. I guess it doesn't really matter.

Is the Secretary General rotating in the way turns are? in that order?

Is there anyway to break a tie? ie. Sec. Gen. gets two votes, but only if it is a tie.

1) In real life, each nation has 1 permanent representative. However, they have like 2nd in commands just in case. I guess it would depend on each team to see how many it appoints.

2) I don't know, I guess so, it would be the least unfair way...

3) IMO that's the best idea, a 2 vote tiebreaker (but only when there's a tie). This would be eliminated should another team be wiped out since an even number would remain.

Old April 1, 2003, 13:38   #42
ZargonX
Emperor

Quote:
Yes, actually, I meant to put that in there. That's why we have drafts, I guess
Old April 3, 2003, 01:37   #43
ZargonX
Emperor

Ok, here's round two of the draft...

Draft Resolution 001:
Formation of a United Nations of Apolyton

Whereas all nations of the world are equal in the eyes of the law, an internation body is needed to let all settle disputes in a diplomatic and just manner.

Whereas is a great danger to all peoples of the world, peaceful solutions should be sought after with the greatest dilligence.

Let it be that this resolution shall achieve the following

1. Approve the establishment of a United Nations

2. Grant the right to each civilization of the world to appoint one representative to the council. In the event a representative cannot perform their duties, a substitute may be named by the concerned nation.

3. Appoint a Secretary General from the representatives on a rotational basis (in order of turn play) for a term of 15 turns. The SecGen shall have two(2) votes for the duration of their term.

4. Grant represenatives the right to draft further powers for the council in a democratic and timely fashion.
Old April 3, 2003, 03:46   #44
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 09:38
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Minor nitpick:

Quote:
Whereas [war] is a great danger to all peoples of the world, peaceful solutions should be sought after with the greatest dilligence.
I believe 'war' was left out of this sentence.
Old April 3, 2003, 04:07   #45
Master Zen
Deity

Minor suggestions

Quote:
Originally posted by ZargonX

2. Grant the right to each civilization of the world to appoint one representative to the council. In the event a representative cannot perform their duties, a substitute may be named by the concerned nation. Each civilization through their representative, has the right to one vote on any matter concerning the UN.

3. Appoint a Secretary General from the representatives on a rotational basis (in order of turn play) for a term of 15 turns. The SecGen shall have the same voting rights as any other representative, only in the case of a tie will his vote count twice.
other than that I think it's fine. We should start deciding who will be "preliminary" representatives to start drafting the charter with all the duties and rights which the UN will have.

Old April 3, 2003, 16:20   #46
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

sorry, I don't have time to read it, but does this resolution assume that all civs will become part of the UN? Because some might not want to be involved, and others might want to be.
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old April 3, 2003, 17:01   #47
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 14:38
I'm not sure that all civs should want to be involved. I assume it may be fun to argue and debate UN issues, and I'm positive that this will add another fun level to this game, however, the UN is a means to equality for all of the Civs ... each civ gets 1 vote ... and I don't know if all of the civs should want that.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old April 3, 2003, 17:39   #48
Master Zen
Deity

It would be fun though if ALL joined and if resolutions were approved against their interest they can "express their discontent" by slapping the SecGen with a large trout...

Old April 3, 2003, 18:43   #49
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Bah.

It should just be up to me to decide who's right and wrong...

Wait, in the long run that's how it is, I better shaddap...

Old April 3, 2003, 19:04   #50
Master Zen
Deity

Well, here's our second resolution:

Resolution 002
Removal of Trip as Writer of Chronicles

Gravely concerned at Trip's possible distortion of the truth in posterity

Convineced he will end up saying that Lux was victim of a worldwide conspiracy

Determined that the truth not be distorted

Appreciating the cooperation of all in this regard

1) Declares Trip unfit for his duties as Writer of Chronicles

2) Suggests Trip be banished to Tripsilvania where an official UN inspection team will drive a stake though his heart ridding us of his evil forever.

Old April 9, 2003, 18:23   #51
ZargonX
Emperor

Bump. Maybe people will want to take another look at this idea...
Old April 9, 2003, 18:40   #52
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I think this clause was intentionally written the way it was so you fill in whatever was appropriate.

Quote:
Originally posted by ZargonX
Ok, here's round two of the draft...

[b]Draft Resolution 001:

Whereas (the UN) is a great danger to all peoples of the world, peaceful solutions should be sought after with the greatest dilligence.