First Woman American Soldier Feared Dead

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2003132548,00.html
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	0,,2003131371,00.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	40853  
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old March 27, 2003, 14:13   #2
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 14:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
She may be "lucky," if you catch my drift, if she's dead.

I really hope in the occupation phase, we can identify the units and individuals who handled those troops, so they can be dealt with appropriately.
Old March 27, 2003, 14:15   #3
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 18:38
I catch your drift fully.

There will be a war crimes tribunal.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Last edited by DanS; March 27, 2003 at 14:20.
Old March 27, 2003, 14:33   #4
Gibsie
Civilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 22:38
Linking to an article from The Sun should be a bloody crime. That's the first thing I think when I see a story from the Sun, rather than the sympathy I should be feeling.
Old March 27, 2003, 14:33   #5
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 17:38
Ahhh, you silly conservatives, always so ready to return an eye for an eye.
Her death is without question a tragedy, just as all the deaths that this war have caused are.
Old March 27, 2003, 14:34   #6
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

If women join, they know there are risks.
There are certainly some places worse than others to take the risks.

Unemployment is surely a motivation to join.

There's a woman here in town that was in Reserves, seeing it as extra money.
She got called up, and freaked out.
Old March 27, 2003, 14:36   #7
DarthVeda
Emperor

How can there be a war crimes tribunal if all the guilty parties are dead?
Old March 27, 2003, 14:45   #8
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
Her death is without question a tragedy, just as all the deaths that this war have caused are.
it appears somebody didn't catch the drift...
Old March 27, 2003, 14:45   #9
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 23:38
Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
I'm vaguely sure this is going to turn me into Starchild Flambé (add a dash more brandy hun, I'll forgive as I cook), but how is this more tragic than if a 19 year old man died? I mean, yes, it's horrible and tragic, but why does it being a woman make it more tragic?
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old March 27, 2003, 14:47   #10
monkspider
King

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX

it appears somebody didn't catch the drift...
How so, comrade?
Old March 27, 2003, 14:48   #11
DarthVeda
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Starchild
I'm vaguely sure this is going to turn me into Starchild Flambé (add a dash more brandy hun, I'll forgive as I cook), but how is this more tragic than if a 19 year old man died? I mean, yes, it's horrible and tragic, but why does it being a woman make it more tragic?
Because women aren't allowed into front-line combat. It is an exception to the rule when one of them is killed in combat.
Old March 27, 2003, 14:48   #12
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
No, some deaths in this war will not be tragic. Maybe someday you can talk with people who've been on the receiving end of this regime, and get a sense of what their experiences have been.

The one thing I really hope, and it's not likely to happen with this administration or any future ones (or most other countries in this world) is that in the future, we do not support this type of brutal, dictatorial regime for reasons of geopolitical expediency.

That's a separate issue though from dealing with the removal of this regime and it's henchmen.
Old March 27, 2003, 14:50   #13
DarthVeda
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

The one thing I really hope, and it's not likely to happen with this administration or any future ones (or most other countries in this world) is that in the future, we do not support this type of brutal, dictatorial regime for reasons of geopolitical expediency.
Saudi Arabia, anyone?
Old March 27, 2003, 14:51   #14
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

but how is this more tragic than if a 19 year old man died

The circumstances of her death. This was with the supply train that was ambushed, and had executed soldiers (bullets through forehead) shown on Iraqi national TV.
Old March 27, 2003, 14:53   #15
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Most deaths in this war are tragic - not the regime *******s, but civilians, certainly, and ordinary soldiers on both sides as well.

A 19 year old male infantryman knows and is trained for the risks. It's still tragic, but it's a bit different than the 19 year old (male or female) who is a clerk, or joined to learn a trade as a mechanic or something.

This soldier wasn't a fighter, she was a young kid, a clerk, from an economically depressed part of the US, where the Army was a shot at a trade and money to go to college and get a better life for herself. It sucks when any of them die, but she was about as far removed as a threat as anyone in the military could be.
Old March 27, 2003, 14:53   #16
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 15:38
Quote:
Because, silly, women are weak and fragile and must be protected at all costs...

Starchild is asking if the death of a woman is more tragic than the death of man would be, under the same circumstances. My answer is no, of course not.
Old March 27, 2003, 14:54   #17
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by DarthVeda

Saudi Arabia, anyone?
I don't like those bastards, either.
Old March 27, 2003, 14:55   #18
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Fuels, Armory, all part of Supply.

I think it's something like for every soldier in combat, there are 10 in support.
Old March 27, 2003, 14:56   #19
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Because, silly, women are weak and fragile and must be protected at all costs...

Starchild is asking if the death of a woman is more tragic than the death of man would be, under the same circumstances. My answer is no, of course not.

Moron, most likely she didn't get something as quick as a bullet in the forehead. Gangrape of female prisoners is far from unheard of - it really depends on who had custody of these soldiers at the time they were executed, and beyond.
Old March 27, 2003, 15:00   #20
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
but how is this more tragic than if a 19 year old man died

The circumstances of her death. This was with the supply train that was ambushed, and had executed soldiers (bullets through forehead) shown on Iraqi national TV.
What about the rest of the soldiers on that supply train (I assume those things aren't just manned/protected by one person). Is her death more tragic than their's? If no, why single out her as the "tragic" death? If no, what made her death more tragic than the others?

People die in war. It's up there with the sky is blue, things fall down, and I'm fabulous as one of the few universal truths. I'm hesitant to call one death more overwhelmingly tragic than another.

With exceptions of course. Saddam can bite my designer jean clad, tai-bo firmed ass. I won't shed much tears over him.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old March 27, 2003, 15:01   #21
monkspider
King

Quote:
No, some deaths in this war will not be tragic.
Which ones are you referring to Mikey? If you are referring to, say, fanatical Sadaam supporters, for example, I must strongly disagree. It is unfortunate that they have been misled as to support an evil despot, but there are many in this war who have been misled, and I do not wish death upon any of them. The deaths of these people will be tragedies, regardless of the circumstances, and killing them will never truly get us anywhere in the long term.
Quote:
This I agree with wholeheartedly Mikey, and I would say that you will be pleasently surprised one day.
Old March 27, 2003, 15:03   #22
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Ah, MTG's clarification as to the Iraqi, err....procedures for female soldiers is a valid reason why her death would be more tragic. She may have suffered more thus more tragedy.
-Richard Dawkins
Old March 27, 2003, 15:04   #23
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

I think people with no frame of reference, shouldn't speak.
Old March 27, 2003, 15:05   #24
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 00:38
Local Date: November 2, 2010

#a mad world....a mad world...#

Why do they always send soldiers into war that are so young?
Old March 27, 2003, 15:08   #25
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 15:38
Quote:

Moron, most likely she didn't get something as quick as a bullet in the forehead. Gangrape of female prisoners is far from unheard of - it really depends on who had custody of these soldiers at the time they were executed, and beyond.
First, I think calling me a moron is uncalled for, and under the current moderator policy of being stricter on personal attacks, entirely inappropriate coming from you.

Second, I was simply addressing the issue, which Starchild raised, of whether or not a woman's death is, in and of itself, more tragic than a man's. I was not addressing the specific manner of her death. If a man was gangraped and butchered (which also isn't unheard of), it would be just as terrible, IMO.

Her death is tragic no matter what, because a young life has been snuffed out by others before its time.
Old March 27, 2003, 15:18   #26
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
I think people with no frame of reference, shouldn't speak.
Sloww, moi petite prince, is this directed against me? I'll admit to having no experience of the military or war but I know tragedy and death. I'm just asking what makes one death more tragic than another.
-Richard Dawkins
Old March 27, 2003, 15:24   #27
monkspider
King

On the issue of men vs women's death, I am in total agreement with Boris and StarC. A woman's death is not any more tragic than a man's. But this is pretty self-evident I would think.
Old March 27, 2003, 15:24   #28
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Actually, no it wasn't directed to you.
It was to the "Mikey" speaker.

Darlin', you know I wouldn't speak that way to you.
Old March 27, 2003, 15:28   #29
monkspider
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
Actually, no it wasn't directed to you.
It was to the "Mikey" speaker.

Darlin', you know I wouldn't speak that way to you.
What frame of reference do you feel that I lack, Slowwy darlin?
Old March 27, 2003, 15:28   #30
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 16:38
Quote:
... most likely she didn't get something as quick as a bullet in the forehead. Gangrape of female prisoners is far from unheard of - it really depends on who had custody of these soldiers at the time they were executed, and beyond.
I was hoping it wouldn't be necessary for some folks to have it spelled out to them as to exactly what her fate might have been. In her case, a bullet would have been quicker ...

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius