Old March 28, 2003, 01:55   #61
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 16:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
...Its just the way i am, i admit i hold women in higher regard...

*puts on Flame suit*

I am prepared to be judged

EDIT: refering to my post at the end of the last page:

Quote:
MtG, great posts

I share yours and Dan's veiw on this issue

EDIT: tho, i might be a bit biased... i think more highly of women, than i do of men, typically, do to my life experiences and such. Rationally, under the same circumstances i agree that a mans death adn a womans death are equally tragic... but in the back of my mind i would feel a little bit more tragedy from the woman's death.
Old March 28, 2003, 01:58   #62
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 14:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
Yeah, well considering others posted flippant remarks before me, and mine wasn't directed at the victim, but those who would seek to demean her, I can only say tough noogies.
Since the thread concerns the fate of one individual soldier who has apparently been purposefully separated from her fellow soldiers and is not in the video of live/dead soldiers that accounts for all the others, who was attempting to demean her?

Certainly not Starchild, who you previously said was the party to whom you directed your post.
Old March 28, 2003, 02:23   #63
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 14:38
Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
Which ones are you referring to Mikey? If you are referring to, say, fanatical Sadaam supporters, for example, I must strongly disagree. It is unfortunate that they have been misled as to support an evil despot, but there are many in this war who have been misled, and I do not wish death upon any of them.
Sorry, monkspider, but you have a bit of a naive view of these people, at least the ones I'm referring to. "Misled" individuals I don't have a problem with. For example, the professional officers who lead troops in the conscript divisions. Many of them fight out of a sense of patriotism and professional pride. They "support" the regime, but they see it as professional duty and a matter of patriotism.

The alphabet soup of Iraqi "security" and "intelligence" agencies, and many of the Baath party leadership, as well as the regime leadership, are brutal, sadistic SOB's who are accountable to noone. These are the people who execute families to intimidate others into line, thinking of what may happen to their own family. These are people who torture and murder, willingly, and without restraint. These are people who enforce "military discipline" among underfed and hopeless conscripts by means of summary executions, and the aforesaid retaliation against family members. It's tragic that they've become what they've become. I'm sure as a six month old baby, or a two year old toddler, even Saddam Hussein was cute, but somewhere along the way, things went wrong.

We all die some time, and some of us don't do much more than eat, sleep, poop and reproduce. Some of us contribute something positive to the world and leave a positive legacy. Some contribute little or nothing positive, and leave a legacy of pain and misery. Removing this latter type from the planet isn't tragic, the tragedy is that they ever became that type of excuse for a human being.

Quote:
This I agree with wholeheartedly Mikey, and I would say that you will be pleasently surprised one day.
I'm far too much of a cynic to believe in any country of significance having a humanitarian and enlightened foreign policy, but I applaud your optimistic and idealistic nature.

Kramerman - thanks.
Old March 28, 2003, 06:05   #64
Sikander
King

Local Time: 15:38
Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
Ahhh, you silly conservatives, always so ready to return an eye for an eye.
Conservatives with no ambition may feel that way, but I feel that we should take both eyes, all the fingers, toes, lips, ears, tongue and of course balls. Mom always said I was a go-getter!
Old April 1, 2003, 20:52   #65
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 18:38
She was rescued! Not too many details yet.

http://www.9news.com/storyfull-newsroom.asp?id=12757
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old April 1, 2003, 20:57   #66
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 17:38
Excellent news!
Old April 1, 2003, 21:02   #67
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Sikander

Conservatives with no ambition may feel that way, but I feel that we should take both eyes, all the fingers, toes, lips, ears, tongue and of course balls. Mom always said I was a go-getter!

Quote:
She was rescued! Not too many details yet.

wonderful! I hope there are more with her.
Old April 1, 2003, 21:07   #68
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 01:38
Local Date: November 2, 2010
This is good news

I hope she didn't have to take too much crap and was treated in the limits of Geneva Convention.
Now, she is going to home of course, she might have been traumatized too much.. maybe this was the limit where Rumsfeld needs to check out the situation 'hmm we need more soldiers,. hmm hmm.. foreigners.. maybe maybe, I will look into that soon'..

Yeah!
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old April 1, 2003, 21:14   #69
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 01:38
I found some more news about this one:

http://www.borderlandnews.com/war/st...31-94562.shtml

"U.S. Marines were sent to rescue wounded members of the 507th Maintenance Company on March 23, the day the Fort Bliss unit was attacked in Iraq, but nine of the Marines who took part in the rescue effort were killed and eight others are missing, Pentagon officials said Sunday."

Story continues so read the rest of it from the link I provided.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old April 3, 2003, 03:49   #70
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Pfc. Jessica Lynch, rescued Tuesday from an Iraqi hospital, fought fiercely and shot several enemy soldiers after Iraqi forces ambushed the Army's 507th Ordnance Maintenance Company, firing her weapon until she ran out of ammunition, U.S. officials said yesterday.

Lynch, a 19-year-old supply clerk, continued firing at the Iraqis even after she sustained multiple gunshot wounds and watched several other soldiers in her unit die around her in fighting March 23, one official said. The ambush took place after a 507th convoy, supporting the advancing 3rd Infantry Division, took a wrong turn near the southern city of Nasiriyah.

"She was fighting to the death," the official said. "She did not want to be taken alive."

Lynch was also stabbed when Iraqi forces closed in on her position, the official said, noting that initial intelligence reports indicated that she had been stabbed to death. No official gave any indication yesterday, however, that Lynch's wounds had been life-threatening.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2003Apr2.html

Thanks to Drudge for the link.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old April 3, 2003, 04:10   #71
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 06:38
Quote:
Pfc. Jessica Lynch, rescued Tuesday from an Iraqi hospital, fought fiercely and shot several enemy soldiers after Iraqi forces ambushed the Army's 507th Ordnance Maintenance Company, firing her weapon until she ran out of ammunition, U.S. officials said yesterday.

Lynch, a 19-year-old supply clerk, continued firing at the Iraqis even after she sustained multiple gunshot wounds and watched several other soldiers in her unit die around her in fighting March 23, one official said. The ambush took place after a 507th convoy, supporting the advancing 3rd Infantry Division, took a wrong turn near the southern city of Nasiriyah.

"She was fighting to the death," the official said. "She did not want to be taken alive."

Lynch was also stabbed when Iraqi forces closed in on her position, the official said, noting that initial intelligence reports indicated that she had been stabbed to death. No official gave any indication yesterday, however, that Lynch's wounds had been life-threatening.

Attractive female supply clerk goes rambo on Iraqi soldiers?
If thats even a 10th true Hollywood's gonna have a field day.
Old April 3, 2003, 07:32   #72
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:38
Glad she is safe and alive.
I wonder if Hollywood has approached her for movie rights yet?
Old April 3, 2003, 07:59   #73
Sikander
King

Re: Glad she is safe and alive.
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Crunch
I wonder if Hollywood has approached her for movie rights yet?
Speaking of which, who is the girl in your avatar?
Old April 3, 2003, 10:35   #74
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Her wounds are still unconfirmed except for broken bones (which are consistently reported).

"Randy Coleman, a military spokesman in West Virginia, said Lynch had fractures in both legs, and her family said she also injured her arm. U.S. officials in Kuwait said earlier she had two broken legs, a broken arm and at least one gunshot wound.

According to the Post account, she was also stabbed when Iraqi forces closed in on her."

the toronto star

If her actions can be confirmed by witnesses then I would suggest she is in line for at least a silver star.

"The Washington Post reported today that the 19-year-old Army supply clerk shot several Iraqi soldiers during the March 23 ambush that resulted in her capture. She kept firing even after she had several gunshot wounds, finally running out of ammunition, the newspaper said, citing unidentified U.S. officials."

IMO her reported actions go far beyond what is normally expected of a truck driver from a maintenance company. That comment is not to belittle such soldiers, but in my experience there is a big pyschological difference between soldiers of the line and those behind the lines.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old April 3, 2003, 11:24   #75
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

glad she is alive. What an ordeal...
Old April 3, 2003, 11:50   #76
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Tough little hag.
Old April 3, 2003, 11:53   #77
Tolls
King

Local Time: 22:38
Good on yer, Ms Lynch...

But I do have a question:
"...and watched several other soldiers in her unit die around her in fighting March 23..."

Does that mean those bodies on the video were in all likelihood not executed? Seems to me there was quite a bit of a firefight...
Old April 3, 2003, 12:05   #78
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Tolls
Does that mean those bodies on the video were in all likelihood not executed?
Why would you take dead bodies with you to make a tape of when videotaping them at the scene is easier?
Old April 3, 2003, 12:10   #79
Tolls
King

Local Time: 22:38
Cleaning up the battlefield...very tidy people them Iraqis.

I don't know. As proof? Did they have a camera crew with them? If not then getting the bodies out of there before backup for the US troops turns up would be a good idea. They are very big on propoganda, and this (they thought) was something of a coup.
Old April 3, 2003, 12:28   #80
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Glad to hear she was alive.

Bush should send his daughters in to harm's way. Although, they'd have to get off the wagon first.
Old April 3, 2003, 12:59   #81
SpencerH
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava

Bush should send his daughters in to harm's way. Although, they'd have to get off the wagon first.

Old April 3, 2003, 13:13   #82
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Old April 3, 2003, 13:18   #83
AnnC
Chieftain

I think you mean "on the wagon". Presently they are definitely off the wagon, having inherited their father's drunken tendencies.
Old April 3, 2003, 13:20   #84
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

I thought "off the wagon" was being sober and "on the wagon" was an alcoholic?
Old April 3, 2003, 13:22   #85
AnnC
Chieftain

It's the other way round, I think. source
Old April 3, 2003, 13:26   #86
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

I stand corrected!

Regardless, I still think that this war wouldn't be happening if those two lushes were in harm's way. It's funny what a corrupt politician does with other people's money and the lives of other people's children.
Old April 3, 2003, 13:29   #87
AnnC
Chieftain

I agree with you entirely. In fact, this war probably wouldn't have happened the way it did if Bush himself had done military service.
Old April 3, 2003, 13:39   #88
SpencerH
Emperor

Do you two want to get another room for your love-fest. Your trolling has nothing to do with the topic.
Old April 3, 2003, 13:59   #89
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Annie.
Mind sharing how long it took you to become so caustic and waspish?
Old April 3, 2003, 14:12   #90
AnnC
Chieftain

I was a straight-arrow teenager who grew up to be a straight-arrow (and opinionated) adult. If that makes me "caustic and waspish", so be it.