Old March 28, 2003, 00:06   #1
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 18:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Day of Reckoning
Well Civ'ers. I think I've reached about the end of the line.

I would still like to finish and release Kyokujitsu, but that will undoubtedly be the end of the line.

Why will I be leaving the scenario community once I am finished you ask? My input vs. the audience.

I can work for months and put out a great scenario, but to be played by how many people? Maybe 100 if I'm lucky. Even fewer will give me some feedback. Frankly, my talents go to waste scenario-making for civ2. There is so much more creative efforts I can do, and frankly the game is getting old (seriously I used to play this on my Win 3.1 machine).

While I have literally a dozen ideas for scenarios scralled down on pieces of paper around my room, I simply cannot rationalize my time input for such a small audience.

So I will bow out once Kyokujitsu is finished. I might still play civ2 and be around here for advice, but I will not work on scenarios anymore.

I embark now on my last effort, perhaps my greatest, wish me luck. I don't know when I will be done, but I know it will be finished. Some sence of completion needs to be brought to my civ2 scenario creation career and I feel that Kyokujitsu would bring the closure for which I'm looking.
Old March 28, 2003, 00:19   #2
Boco
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 17:39
Sigh! A sad post.

Ultimately, if the designing is no longer a reward in itself, then it's time to move on.

Do you have your sights on another game?
Old March 28, 2003, 00:33   #3
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 18:39
I have a number of games that have extendability like Battlefield 1942, Warcraft3, etc. that are all more modern and I have some interest in. But I'm also a capable, creative, and talented programmer so I might just be tempted to join some of those fan projects you hear about so much on this site.
Old March 28, 2003, 02:30   #4
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 14:39
Its sad... but at least Kyokujitsu is for ToT!

BTW, Battlefield 1942 wtf are the thinking? That game's engine is beyond horrible! I can't count the amount of times I've spontaneously combusted. I much prefer Wolfenstein... but in any case good luck. If you design a patch for EA to fix that abomination I'll play you online.
Old March 28, 2003, 06:19   #5
curtsibling
staff

Local Time: 23:39
A sad day for CIV2.

Oh well, I wish you the best of British with this new scenario!

I don't actually mind if a scenario has a tiny following, as long as you affect a few people's lives with it...

It's all about community...no matter how small.

But I will eagerly await news of this new masterpiece.
Old March 28, 2003, 12:53   #6
Leonidas
King

Local Time: 22:39
Re: Day of Reckoning
Quote:
Originally posted by DarthVeda
Well Civ'ers. I think I've reached about the end of the line.

I would still like to finish and release Kyokujitsu, but that will undoubtedly be the end of the line.

Why will I be leaving the scenario community once I am finished you ask? My input vs. the audience.

I can work for months and put out a great scenario, but to be played by how many people? Maybe 100 if I'm lucky. Even fewer will give me some feedback. Frankly, my talents go to waste scenario-making for civ2. There is so much more creative efforts I can do, and frankly the game is getting old (seriously I used to play this on my Win 3.1 machine).

While I have literally a dozen ideas for scenarios scralled down on pieces of paper around my room, I simply cannot rationalize my time input for such a small audience.

So I will bow out once Kyokujitsu is finished. I might still play civ2 and be around here for advice, but I will not work on scenarios anymore.

I embark now on my last effort, perhaps my greatest, wish me luck. I don't know when I will be done, but I know it will be finished. Some sence of completion needs to be brought to my civ2 scenario creation career and I feel that Kyokujitsu would bring the closure for which I'm looking.
Too bad. I am enjoying your "Bulge" scenario

I once felt the way you do right now. Two years ago I put away Civ2 and moved on to other games, etc.

Some of these newer games were fun for a while, but in the end they ultimately lacked that something.

So two weeks ago I re-installed Civ2 and thought I would have another go at the game. Now I know why I loved the game so much. Talk about addiction. Only HoMM3 gave me this "one more turn" feeling.

I had forgotten what Civ2 has given the gaming community: the ability to play a scenario during any time period in history and beyond.

In fact, right now I am desiging and/or improving on several dozen NEW knight graphics. I will soon be doing NEW chariot graphics.

Civ2 may be "old" by today's graphics standards. But for sheer depth of play and diversity, Civ2 cannot be beat

Too bad to hear you're leaving. I was looking forward to an "Afrika Korps" scenario. . .

Cheers!
Old March 29, 2003, 08:36   #7
Shaka Naldur
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Emperor

sad post
we'll have to move to civ3 once they put events in the game
Old April 2, 2003, 10:15   #8
Mercator
Emperor

Local Time: 00:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
No we don't.

You should make scenarios firstly because you like to make and play them yourself, not to please others (although that's a welcome bonus).
Old April 2, 2003, 10:23   #9
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Quote:
Maybe 100 if I'm lucky.
Lucky devil. I wish I could expect that many people to even know my scenarios!
But if that's the point you want to make, I don't think anyone will have a problem with that.
All I can say about it is, that as long as there are at least some people playing my scenarios, that is what I'm aiming for. I don't mind if there are 2 or 20 people out there playing them; as long as they play them and they're having fun with them, I'm satisfiyed.
As for the feedback; for my latest couple of scenarios, I've gotten virtually no feedback apart from the playtesters, and the >10 direct comments on the scenario in it's release thread (at least I know for sure there are 5 people playing it).
But I'm not complaining, basically because there is no reason to complain.

Last edited by Stefan Härtel; April 2, 2003 at 10:28.
Old April 2, 2003, 16:52   #10
WarVoid
King

I tried to comment on your Pacific scenario, Stefan, but for some reason CivFanatics' forums are giving me many problems.

I love the scenario. I love the setting. But many, many, many problems with it.... Still, that didn't stop me from spending like 12 hours playing it.

As for DV - He's just an attention wh0re.
Old April 4, 2003, 05:24   #11
curtsibling
staff

Re: Re: Day of Reckoning
Quote:
Originally posted by Leonidas
Civ2 may be "old" by today's graphics standards. But for sheer depth of play and diversity, Civ2 cannot be beat
Well said that man!

I agree completely!
Old April 4, 2003, 12:45   #12
Leonidas
King

Re: Re: Re: Day of Reckoning
Quote:
Originally posted by curtsibling
Well said that man!

I agree completely!
Currently, I am having a blast playing Civ2. I have re-designed and/or added new graphics for the default units and terrain, and it looks like a new game now.

For sheer playability, fun, and additive gameplay, there are still few equals.

Civ2 managed to implement so many elements that few games today can equal, except perhaps Alpha Centauri. And all of these elements work together quite seamlessly.

Even Civ3, MoO3, etc, etc still cannot touch this game. The amount, diversity, and sheer playability of scenarios is unlimited.

I'm currently playing the "bulge" scenario as well as a default game. In my default game it is now 1950, and the world has erupted into a nuclear World War. I have been the first to fling a few nukes at my evil rivals. . .

I have also been re-designing new units including mounted knights, chariots (a Roman chariot with 4 horses abreast) as well as new Roman legion units (with standard).

I still have not found a game that can equal Civ2 MGE for what it contains within its game engine.

As for the number of people playing Civ2. The number is far higher than 100. The Civ fanatics forum has 28,000 members, and this forum has almost an equal number.

With so many disappointments with new games, many people are returning to the tried and true

The unrivaled classics: Civ2 MGE, Alpha Centauri (Planetary Pack), Panzer General 2, Silent Hunter Commander's Edition, Heroes of Might and Magic 3. . .

Last edited by Leonidas; April 4, 2003 at 13:01.
Old April 4, 2003, 13:45   #13
kobayashi
Prince

Local Time: 06:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I must say I kinda agree with the analysis that there are fewer and fewer people playing and even fewer giving feedback. I don't have any drive left to make any more new scenarios myself. That is so sad since I agree with everyone else about how well Civ2 has stood the test of time.
Old April 5, 2003, 03:02   #14
Leonidas
King

Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi
That is so sad since I agree with everyone else about how well Civ2 has stood the test of time.
This is even more prominent when you consider how many new games have been poorly done.

I'm still waiting for the successor to Civ2 MGE. But I won't hold my breath. . .
Old July 3, 2003, 02:59   #15
sirsnuggles
Civilization II Succession Games
Warlord

Local Time: 14:39
Hey guys, don't give up on civ2 just yet...please! I just got out of prison(), and am just now playing all of your scenarios. I've browsed all of the new PC games, but they look like they suck compared to civ2.

I'd like to start making my own scenarios. A scenario dealing with south/southeast Asia (pre-colonial or colonial days) really interests me. I'd need a map of the area, however, to get started. I haven't seen any decent ones out there.

Besides just China, Japan, and Korea, I'd like to include Siam and Vietnam, perhaps even the Khmer. Indonesia, the Philippines, Burma and Malaysia would be interesting to include as a conglomerated state. To top it all of, it'd be interesting to include a period of Mongol invasion into these regions (Vietnam actually defeated the Mongols).

PS. The scenario's by Favored Flight and Bernd Brosing have really impressed me.