C. Archipelago 80% water 7 25.00%
C. Archipelago 70% water 2 7.14%
C. Archipelago 60% water 1 3.57%
D. Random 6 21.43%
Banana 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 28, 2003, 01:30   #1
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 16:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Land Mass/Water Coverage
Vote on land mass and water coverage.

Runoff will run if two choices are close.

Poll open 5 days

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old March 28, 2003, 10:25   #2
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 22:40
Isn't D. Random Banana and Banana really the same thing?

Oh, well.... Let the Banana choose! Random!
Old March 28, 2003, 10:27   #3
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 16:40
Banana is you don't care/abstain. Random is a choice, hence the letter.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old March 28, 2003, 10:53   #4
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 18:40
arch - 80%

Lots of little land - and we are the vikings!

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old March 28, 2003, 11:08   #5
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 19:40
Continents, 70% water.
But archipelago with 80% water would be great, too. Different, at least.
Old March 28, 2003, 11:22   #6
Aidun
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4BtSDG TemplarsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 00:40
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Continents 70% leaves a lot of water to make exploringexpeditions and alot of land to settle on.

Aidun
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG
Old March 29, 2003, 09:19   #7
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

I have said it elsewhere and I will say it again - as did joncnunn - let's pick something different and go with either archipelago or pangaea.

The former will make the naval side more prominent. The latter will make FA more important early on, as we will meet more of the other civs quicker. All demo and demoMP games so far have been continents. Let's give ourselves a different kind of challenge.

Maybe the poll should be : do we want continents - yes/no with the arguments for and against, and if no, then we can debate arch vs pangaea. I would veen suggest that if there is not a majority vote above for continents, that it be seen as a vote for something else. The arch and pang vote will be split. I voted for pangaea but change my vote to arch just to defeat continents.

I am starting the ABC party - Anything But Continents.

Last edited by Beta; March 30, 2003 at 19:17.
Old March 29, 2003, 14:27   #8
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 17:40
islands

remeber, boats fall under the juristiction of the SMC, and must be comissioned to the Expansion / Domestic ministers
Old April 1, 2003, 13:00   #9
Fishman
Civilization III Democracy Game
Settler

Local Time: 22:40
After the last victory with a poor starting place, I think anything other than archipelago would not be enough of a challange.

In the last game, Apolyton's mastery of land wars and foreign affairs were superior to the computer players. An archipelago landmass would serve to challenge the new governments by making naval warfare and the ability to carry our amphibious invasions military priorities. Both were lightly used in the previous game.

By using an archipelago, the foreign affairs would be slowed down by having fewer and later contacts with the computer players. The ability to trade technologies would be reduced in the early game, slowing the human player.

I fear if we had continents or pangea, the game would be a cakewalk for the humans. We won the last game pretty easily even with a poor starting location. Yes there were some tense moments mostly in the French-Persian wars, but since then was the game really in doubt...
Old April 1, 2003, 16:29   #10
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 23:40
Quote:
Originally posted by Fishman
After the last victory with a poor starting place, I think anything other than archipelago would not be enough of a challange.
And that coming from someone named 'Fishman' - it must be the truth!!
Old April 1, 2003, 19:08   #11
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Quote:
Originally posted by BetaHound
I am starting the ABC party - Anything But Continents.
Sign me up!

Let's see how impressive a naval armada we can build - in the ancient age.
Old April 1, 2003, 20:04   #12
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Well, with my experiences with the RMG over the last few days, I wouldn't worry too much about random or not. In 7 out of 10 starts at Continents, 60%, I had a tiny island all to myself. the 8th time I had a huge continent to myself, and the 9th and 10th times were both Pangaeas. So, even if it's not random, it's probably random...
Old April 2, 2003, 01:24   #13
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Everything has good and bad points, so lets leave it to banana (ahem) random to decide.
Old April 2, 2003, 23:21   #14
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 10:40
Well, I'm not sure what to do about this. Only 28 people voted, and the winner - 80% Archipelago, won by one vote over random. Run-off between these two choices then?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old April 3, 2003, 00:37   #15
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

I would go for a run-off between those two choices.
Old April 3, 2003, 03:08   #16
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 23:40
I would first decide whether to play on a man-made map or a game-generated map.
Old April 3, 2003, 13:08   #17
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 00:40
Run off!
Old April 3, 2003, 13:57   #18
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Arch won. Even if it was by one vote. Lets go with it. Vikings anybody?

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old April 3, 2003, 18:28   #19
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Well, I'm not sure what to do about this. Only 28 people voted, and the winner - 80% Archipelago, won by one vote over random. Run-off between these two choices then?
Actually archipelago in total garnered 10 votes. 11 if you included my vote whch I changed.

So that is 11 to 6 over random. A landslide!
Old April 3, 2003, 20:12   #20
Kuciwalker
Deity

I think archipelago would actually be easier than our previous start, or any pangea start for that matter. The AI is even worse at naval warfare and amphibious assaults than land warfare.
Old April 3, 2003, 22:06   #21
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Runoff. There are ten voters who didn't get to side with either major choice.
Old April 6, 2003, 08:53   #22
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 10:40
80% Archipelago it is.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!