Old March 19, 2001, 03:42   #1
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 16:55
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Discovery! New Text Message in Game
Everyone:

I am currently playing a game at the emperor level as the Carthaginians on a large Earth map. The stuck-up Aztecs, safe and secure all by themselves in the Americas, are about to build the SETI Program. Naturally, I want to trade technology with them in order to obtain Computers and build the Wonder myself in a single turn (I have a big bank account).

This is what those snobs told me: "All our our great minds are too busy working on our glorious project, SETI Program. Perhaps we should speak again later."

Damn straight we'll speak again later! It will be one helluva one-sided converstation when I land 80 divisions of howitzers and armor on your nation and rain death and destruction from the skies and oceans via aircraft, missiles and seaborne forces.

Anyway, I'm put off by their attitude. Nonetheless, this is the first time I've ever seen this particular message since first playing Civ II in 1997. Has anyone else seen this message? Or any other *rare* messages? If so, post them here! Please!

CYBERAmazon
Old March 19, 2001, 05:01   #2
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 22:55
This is a very common message. You can receive it in the early stages of the game. (See what happens if you want to exchange science with a civ building Copernicus - when you don't have Astronomy) The AI is attempting to protect the wonder being built, which is quite reasonable. Just steal the tech.
-----------
SG(2)
Old March 19, 2001, 05:42   #3
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 16:55
SG(2):

Hmm ... I guess I'm not used to wanting a critical technology that the AI has gotten ahead of me. It seems like on lower levels the AI is all too willing to trade the player say, Computers, in exchange for some dead-end technology, even if it's building a Wonder based on having said technology.

I can't complain too much, though. I do have:

United Nations
Hoover Dam
Copernicus Observatory
Colossus
Michelangelo's Chapel
J.S. Bach's Cathedral
Adam Smith's Trading Co.
Marco Polo's Embassy

Those are certainly more than enough to win against the AI, IMHO. Still, it would've been nice to get SETI Program (just to hurt the AI) or Women's Suffrage (same reasoning).

CYBERAmazon
Old March 19, 2001, 06:46   #4
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Local Time: 18:55
I've seen that message alot, too. The worst is when I want to get engineering in order to speed my progress to invention, and everybody's too busy with King Richard. I find myself wanting to plead "but I won't build the Crusade! Honest!" But instead I just steal it.

------------------
Dig trenches, with our men being killed off like flies? There isn't time to dig trenches. We'll have to buy them ready made. Here, run out and get some trenches.
-- Rufus T. Firefly, the original rush-builder
Old March 19, 2001, 08:52   #5
Julius Brenzaida
King

Local Time: 22:55
Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
There is some .txt file, game.txt, I believe where you can read (it's in the middle of it and it's a very long one), where you can read all messages the AI civs might send you. Some are very funny and some almost never happen !