Old April 27, 2003, 09:20   #61
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 00:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by nbarclay
The GA timing issue was broken out into a separate category, so it would be unfair to penalize Egypt a second time for the role its UU plays in untimely GAs. (GA already just got a one out of three in GA timing.)

But if you beeline for Monarchy (aided by Egypt's religious nature) and start a WC attack the moment you get it, Egypt's GA timing can be pretty good. You can either build massive numbers of WCs to romp all over your neighbors in whatever time is left before Feudalism or start building city improvements to leverage for a more productive civ after the GA is over - or some of each, perhaps massing WCs in the early part of the GA and switching to infrastructure later.

hi ,

it tends to be a bad GA , the time is breaks out egypt is way to small , ..... but its more the less okay if the GA's are made to last 40 turns (!)

have a nice day
Old April 27, 2003, 14:03   #62
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
A 40 turn GA would be EXTREMELY de-stabilizing. Imagine the power of the Ottomans who could have a 40 turn GA in the late middle ages / early industrial... they would have any game in their pockets by then.

I think the most a GA should be allowed if you are a modder is 25 turns.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old April 27, 2003, 20:33   #63
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen
A 40 turn GA would be EXTREMELY de-stabilizing. Imagine the power of the Ottomans who could have a 40 turn GA in the late middle ages / early industrial... they would have any game in their pockets by then.

I think the most a GA should be allowed if you are a modder is 25 turns.

hi ,

have you ever tried it , ..... probably not , then how can you say that its de-stabilizing , .....

if works great for the both civ III and PTW , ..... with some things that are never to be seen , .....

have a nice day
Old April 27, 2003, 21:40   #64
WhiteBandit
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 14:41
Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

have you ever tried it , ..... probably not , then how can you say that its de-stabilizing , .....

if works great for the both civ III and PTW , ..... with some things that are never to be seen , .....

have a nice day
Eh to be honest, I also think it wouldn't be that great... well, if you were the team during the 40 turn GA, it would be AWESOME!

But depending on a civ's production capability, we know that a civ benefits more if it has a GA later in the game when its infastructure is built. And 40 turns seems excessive enough that a certain civ can get a HUGE jump in the tech lead, where one having a GA at the beginning of the game wouldn't have as huge of an advantage. It just seems like 40 turns would put a sufficiently developed team too far ahead.

(04/29/2004) [Trip] we will see who is best in the next round ; [Trip] that is why I left this team ; [Trip] I don't need the rest of you to win |
The solution to 1984 is 1776! | Here's to hoping that GoW's military isn't being run by MasterZen: Hehe! | DaveRocks! or something. ;)
Old April 27, 2003, 21:53   #65
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteBandit

Eh to be honest, I also think it wouldn't be that great... well, if you were the team during the 40 turn GA, it would be AWESOME!

But depending on a civ's production capability, we know that a civ benefits more if it has a GA later in the game when its infastructure is built. And 40 turns seems excessive enough that a certain civ can get a HUGE jump in the tech lead, where one having a GA at the beginning of the game wouldn't have as huge of an advantage. It just seems like 40 turns would put a sufficiently developed team too far ahead.
hi ,

give it a try

to answer your point , yes and no , .... imagine you are the US of A and down to 5 cities , you have one F-15 and your GA starts , ...... this could be a huge come-back

if your civ has had plenty of wars and you have build almost nothing or you had to sell things , ....

have a nice day
Old April 27, 2003, 22:38   #66
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:

hi ,

give it a try

to answer your point , yes and no , .... imagine you are the US of A and down to 5 cities , you have one F-15 and your GA starts , ...... this could be a huge come-back

if your civ has had plenty of wars and you have build almost nothing or you had to sell things , ....

have a nice day
But that's precisely the point, it would be TOO easy with a 40 turn GA.

If you are the US of A, have 5 cities and one F-15 I doubt even a 40 turn GA would turn the game around on emperor or deity. At that stage and with so little you probably lost.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old April 27, 2003, 22:42   #67
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

But that's precisely the point, it would be TOO easy with a 40 turn GA.

If you are the US of A, have 5 cities and one F-15 I doubt even a 40 turn GA would turn the game around on emperor or deity. At that stage and with so little you probably lost.
hi ,

it works both ways , ..... just like the 20 turn GA for the AI , so does the 40 turn for the AI , ....

it makes the game more intresting , ..... it takes a skilled player , or one who pays attention , its a great method to learn not only from the AI but also for the human player , .......

and the above is a true example , ....

germany with three cities and 10 panzers , .... result > victory true space race , ......

in 2045

bye
Old April 27, 2003, 22:47   #68
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:

hi ,

it works both ways , ..... just like the 20 turn GA for the AI , so does the 40 turn for the AI , ....

it makes the game more intresting , ..... it takes a skilled player , or one who pays attention , its a great method to learn not only from the AI but also for the human player , .......

and the above is a true example , ....

germany with three cities and 10 panzers , .... result > victory true space race , ......

in 2045

bye
I would agree that it would be interesting in the ancient era... but a 40 turn GA in the industrial or modern age would be handing victory to the human player on a silver plate. By then only the Germans will most likely ever get a GA and the odds of having them as neighbors is slim because they are the most aggressive team and would either have been wiped out or have wiped you out from early on.

2045?? thats a long time... my games never get that far... right now I'm playing an emperor game with China, its 910 and I'm already in the Industrial age....

BTW: what happened, you forgot to wish me a nice day?

Old April 28, 2003, 06:04   #69
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

I would agree that it would be interesting in the ancient era... but a 40 turn GA in the industrial or modern age would be handing victory to the human player on a silver plate. By then only the Germans will most likely ever get a GA and the odds of having them as neighbors is slim because they are the most aggressive team and would either have been wiped out or have wiped you out from early on.

2045?? thats a long time... my games never get that far... right now I'm playing an emperor game with China, its 910 and I'm already in the Industrial age....

BTW: what happened, you forgot to wish me a nice day?
hi ,

with 23 civs against you , thats 23 GA's , 40 turns or not , ..... on deity , with barbs as rifleman , , not exactly a silver plate , .....

have a nice day
Old April 28, 2003, 12:30   #70
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 18:41
Quote:

hi ,

it tends to be a bad GA , the time is breaks out egypt is way to small , ..... but its more the less okay if the GA's are made to last 40 turns (!)

have a nice day
I've done what nathan described many times, with a lot of success. The WC flood workes... you can rip up several AI empires with sheer force of numbers, and all you need is 1 leader for the FP or Palace move to become a true superpower. Plus, since there is no need to save money for a chariot -> horseman upgrade, you can either research faster or use more money on warrior -> swordsman upgrades (which is what I often do... take a bite out of a neighbor with swords, get some tech, hopefully get some swords promoted to elite, etc. Then cut loose with the WC horde).

The other option is to use WCs for upgrade purposes only, banking on Leo's to lessen the cost.

Anyway, Egypt does quite well any way you play 'em. Peaceful builder or raging warmonger... or anywhere inbetween. Flexible, to be sure.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 28, 2003, 13:48   #71
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:

hi ,

with 23 civs against you , thats 23 GA's , 40 turns or not , ..... on deity , with barbs as rifleman , , not exactly a silver plate , .....

have a nice day
40 turn GA will not save you from defeat in the late industrial or modern age if you only have 3-5 cities in Deity games. By that time you need resouces to build units and it's very unlikely you'll have them with such a limited space and at war with your neighbors

As for riflemen barbs....

Old April 28, 2003, 18:05   #72
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

40 turn GA will not save you from defeat in the late industrial or modern age if you only have 3-5 cities in Deity games. By that time you need resouces to build units and it's very unlikely you'll have them with such a limited space and at war with your neighbors

As for riflemen barbs....

hi ,

then according to your statement neither will a 20 turn GA , .... maybe one could try to get rid of the GA all together , ......

riflemen for barbs , advanced barbs are infantry , .... or cavalry

not to mention about the privateer as barbarian naval unit , ....

have a nice day
Old April 28, 2003, 23:32   #73
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:

hi ,

then according to your statement neither will a 20 turn GA , .... maybe one could try to get rid of the GA all together , ......

riflemen for barbs , advanced barbs are infantry , .... or cavalry

not to mention about the privateer as barbarian naval unit , ....

have a nice day
Of course not, a 20 turn GA will help you less in the predicament as you described.

The GA IMO is not something you use to save yourself from defeat, the GA is a moment in which your empire developes extrordinary advantages for a while, but only for a while. It is not something to bring victory immediately to your civ, as a 40 GA would do but only something that can give your civ a temporary edge.

This is what a golden age in history is too, a moment in which your civ manages to be ahead of most others. Do not confuse that with being a savoir if you only have 3 cities or a game winner if you have 20 or more.