Old March 28, 2003, 13:43   #1
ajbera
Prince

Local Time: 22:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Tech sliders won't budge
I was trying to play the Nommo as a research-oriented society. I would focus my research on physical and energy sciences (40% research in each) with the remaining disciplines receiving ~ 5% of my research pool. I figured I would make great gains in those 2 disciplines, and give gifts of tech in exchange for the military services of other races.

A few turns later, my tech sliders were all set at 16%/17%, and though they were unlocked, I couldn't budge them. Could this be because of the research trade agreements I had made? Is it another reason? I can avoid research TAs in the future if that's it, but I need to identify the cause of the problem...

Thanks!
ajbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2003, 15:10   #2
SINISTER1974
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:41
try to lock and then unlock them --then try to move sliders.
SINISTER1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2003, 15:25   #3
ajbera
Prince

Tried that - didn't work.
Old March 28, 2003, 20:35   #4
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 17:41
That happened to me too occassionally (and locking/unlocking didn't work for me eiher). Usually some or all come back under my control during the next turn or two.

Also, try doing what you want the opposite way - EG, if you can't move the Bio Science percentage up, lock all but Bio Science and another type and lower the percentage of the other type. You can usually get things the way you want that way if the sliders are only half-working.
Old March 31, 2003, 17:49   #5
ajbera
Prince

I've found that if I check the tech sliders every turn I can keep them at the levels I've established. I'll set them and lock the sliders, do my other business, and hit End Turn. Then I'll check the sliders again - the locks have been undone, but they haven't moved yet. So, I'll re-lock them, do my business, hit End Turn, and repeat. Annoying, but effective.
Old April 21, 2003, 14:12   #6
Raion
Prince

The techs will lock on the first turn (until you hit the turn button), then if they do not adjust, then restart the game by quiting the game -- as that is the fix needed by and given by QS. This probably will be addressed in the patch.

If moving then, you development plans, are giving the Viceroys, conflicting orders, and they are moving them, according to your development plans.

There are other threads at Infogrames forums, explaining in detail those development plans, or else one can turn off each Planetary AI Econ advisor by unchecking it.

If you have Food listed, then they probably will go more for Biological research.

That is why I mention other threads to explain all of it, as they do it better, and once you get to understanding of all of that, the game will work much better.

Actually I have not had much of a problem, since I set up the DEA's on the Planet when first formed by the colony, and the all of that.

But if sticking, then clear out the computer, (probably restarting the computer would also help), as I found out, that doing other work on the computer first, the game takes some time, to get things going (I really think because of Windows and all the Virtual Management of that OS), that it needs to clear out the memory, and all of that.

Usually, it has been known, that it takes Windows up to a couple of minutes to do that sometimes (Virtual Memory Manager), so to play a memory-intensive game, it is usually easier, to restart the computer first, then come up with a refreshed computer, to start the game.

I get some odd-ball stuff sometimes, because I been working on the graphics to change them in the game, and after starting the game several times, it is just better to restart the computer first to refresh it, as I seem to be faster than the OS system.

Clearing out the computer and all that is swapped from hard disk and all of that!

Anyway, that is what I have found out. Games usually work better on a refreshed computer!
Raion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2003, 05:34   #7
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 00:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
DP
statusperfect is offline   Reply With Quote