Old March 29, 2003, 17:34   #1
Malleus
NationStates
Warlord

Local Time: 14:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Report from the Front!
This is Rydell Markos reporting live from the Tri-Gem Sector with an update on the recent zoo releases.

Recall that six months ago an accident in the United Planets Intergalactic Zoo resulted in the accidental release of three so-called "Space Sharks" and the deaths of sixteen zoo employees. These "Sharks" have since gone on a rampage, causing the deaths of thousands. As we have followed this story, the Terran Alliance has amassed a large fleet under Admiral Kirk Hammond to combat this menace. Though the fleet is about to go into battle, Admiral Hammond has graciously granted us a quick question and answer.

"Good Evening Terra, this is Admiral Hammond."

Admiral Hammond, can you give us some details about the foe you are about to defeat?

"Certainly Rydell. The targets in question, "Space Sharks," are a known threat to shipping. Approximately six hundred meters in length, they employ a variety of means to hunt their silicon-based prey. Capable of moving at 14.4c for up to six days at a time, coupled with their unusual "quantum blink" technique, they can appear to move vast distances literally in the wink of an eye. After the horrific destruction of the Tri-Gem Starbase and it's support fleets, we knew this enemy was going to require all the resources of Terra to face it."

Yes, the Freedom Fleet. Admiral, can you tell us what this fleet consists of?

"From my perspective on the bridge of the Terran Harbinger I can see most of the fleet from right here. Allow your viewers to link to my eye-feed and we'll take a look.

On our left and upper flanks you can see the 11 Battle Cruisers from the Sol and Frontier Sectors, bolstered by the Beryl Sector fleet. On the fore and lower flank you can see the 8 Corvettes of the Home Guards from Sol, Alexander, Frontier, Beryl, Illum, and Hematite.

As you know, the first encounter with the escaped animals resulted in the loss of the Corvettes and Frigates of the Tri-Gem Sector. We have reviewed the eye-links from that battle and have devised a plan."

Excuse me Admiral, but you have left out those ships on the right.

"Ah yes, always tooting your own horn I see. Those six vessels represent the six major news and entertainment networks in Terran Space. Terra News, GNN, Wolf Entertainment, Yellow Journal, Harbinger News and Nebula Links. These vessels have been given unprecedented access to the battle scene. You folks at home will get a front row seat to the show, as it were."

>Admiral, three marks at North 16-23

"I will speak with you after the battle Rydell, enjoy the show!"

>Admiral, one mark has disappeared off the sensor grid.

Stay with us live as we remain eye-linked with our GNN feed ship.

Uh, the feed-ship is apparently suffering problems with it's transmitter. We go now live with the Wolf Entertainment feed.

'We are venting atmosphere right now. As you can see the incredible sight before us, all three of the sharks are gathered around. They took out GNN right away, and the one...pan right... further... there, uh, appears to be consuming the Yellow Journal, uh, wait a moment, wait...'

We're trying to get a live feed folks, and, oh my, uh, Jane, can we get that feed to our viewers...

We seem to be over the right shoulder of Admiral Hammond...

>Admiral, we seem to have lost the Crystal Shield and the Swiftflight.

"Group 6 envelopment left, LEFT! Damn it, pay attention, it's RIGHT THERE!"

>...Left side, left side, fire torps, go go....

"Weapons, fire to sector 37-12 south, firewall spread, coordinate with anyone left in Group 2."

>Group 1 signal lost, we caught that one with two 220s and a 640 along with a photon spread.

"Comms, status? Who's left? And... damn it tactical give me an update on their positions...I can see one with my eyes right there!"

Uh, viewers, the camera movement is unintentional, apparently something is attacking the Harbinger. We go now to the Alexander with a eye-link view.

>Captain Simon, the Admiral has gone offline.

'Weapons, coordinate burst, phasers to 640, I repeat max burst in web pattern. Torpedoes to ventral burst. Make it bleed.'

>It disappeared! It disappeared!

'Belay fire order! Give me a new solution! Where the hell is the Orion?'

>220 fire coming our way! 220s incoming!

'What the...they don't have ranged capability! They...'

Jane, get me a feed! Uh, we seem to be having some technical difficulties with our eye-link feed, and, and, uh, oh good Lord, my...what is this?

Mayday, mayday, this is Sargeant Green from the Eighty Star, I seem to have been blown clear...I can see no ships, uh, if anyone is eye-linked you may see the beasts, uh, one is wounded, I think, there is some scoring on the side. I, well, uh, Mayday, mayday, is there any ships left? Anyone?

Jane? Jane? Any feeds? Uh, not this one, it's got too much motion, and, oh Lord, it seems that the uh, well, the fleet seems to be gone. I can confirm now that the famed Survey Vessel Terran Harbinger is gone, and that wreckage over there seems to be one of the corvette squadrons that uh, well, there is from this link you can see all three sharks remain.

Can we bring up that Green fellow? Any links? Nothing's left? That's impossible! That's 21 ships...the entire Terran fleet! All we have left is our, oh Lord, we have a live message from President Alexander Tannis of the Terran Alliance.

"My fellow Terrans. Today is the darkest day in our spacefaring history. I, like yourselves and the rest of the galaxy, just watched the horrific destruction of our entire navy by escaped animals from the United Planets Zoo located at our system of Emerald. While pundits are flooding the net already with predictions of dire things, I would like to remind you all that the Terran people are strong. I have two minutes ago signed the Emergency Military Act converting all starship production to combat this menace. Engineers at Frontier and Alexander are already assembling a new class of vessel, the "Battleship," to combat this menace. I remind all citizens to remain calm and allow our government to work to eliminate this threat. Thank you and good day."

Ah, this concludes our eye-link of the containment excercise of the escaped animals. This eye-link is available for repeat viewing for 7 credits in Arcean or Alexian space, 8 credits in Yor space, and 12 credits elsewhere.

This is Rydell Markos for GNN.

President of the nation of Riis in W3's SimCountry.

Last edited by Malleus; April 2, 2003 at 10:46.
Malleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2003, 17:54   #2
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 00:44
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Nice, AAR, Malleus. Great reading. I enjoyed it.

Asmodean
Old March 29, 2003, 18:45   #3
PriestOfDiscord
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:44
As we speak, Torian children are dancing in the streets burning Terran flags while chanting "Death to Terra!" The Torian security forces are doing nothing to stop this, even encouraging the activity by handing out Terran flags and lighters in one hand and recruitment slips to the Torian Armed Forces in another.

edited for better accuracy.

Last edited by PriestOfDiscord; March 30, 2003 at 00:44.
PriestOfDiscord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2003, 21:11   #4
Malleus
NationStates
Warlord

Priest of Discord:

Replace the word "Yor" with "Torian" and it will be appropriate to my game I am good, the Yor and Torians are neutral....I beat them both up in a war and now they both are friends, but the Torians really don't like me.

M

Edit: Thanks Priest of Discord!

Last edited by Malleus; March 30, 2003 at 10:50.
Old March 29, 2003, 21:19   #5
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 18:44
The space shark seems to want to stay right close to my starbase after taking it down.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2003, 00:49   #6
PriestOfDiscord
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:44
Quote:
Originally posted by Malleus
....I beat them both up in a war and now they both are friends, but the Torians really don't like me.
I'm glad the AI picks up animosity when it should. It's done the same to me today when I tried to smash around the Drengin and then make up. They wound up stabbing me in the back later when the chance was there.

Hopefully we will get a AAR subforum for this place pretty soon so we can relive our horrible failures over and over.
Old April 2, 2003, 11:25   #7
Malleus
NationStates
Warlord

Three years later...

Justice Fleet, tighten up wall formation. We get one shot at this bug.

> Admiral Thorne, we have a news-feed ship approaching from mark 15-31.

Fire a warning shot, then destroy it if it hangs around.

> Warning shot fired, sir, she's moving off.

Maintain wall formation. Battle fleet check in.

> Arbalest, Ballista, Cannon, Dagger, Epee, Fireship, Garotte and Hammer all report in on ventral and left.

> Incinerator, Javelin, Katana, Legion, Machete, Naginata all report in on dorsal and right.

> Support ships are standing by in assigned locations 1.7 light years coreward.

Very Well. Make sure the new sensors are tuned. We won't have a repeat of the last time. Open fleet frequency.

> Opened.

Soldiers of the Terran Alliance. We are currently prepared to engage the final escaped shark from the Emerald Zoo three years ago. In this time, the Terra Navy has been rebuilt. We have now the largest single military force in the galaxy and it is prepared to face this enemy. 15 Battleships of the finest quality are amassed here in Arcean space to avenge our brothers and sisters who died facing this shark.

The Drengin and Arceans destroyed the other 2 sharks after they chased our scouts into their space. But this one has remained.

In it's time near Illum sector we have discovered it has laid over eight hundred thousand eggs. We have destroyed them all. Many of you have served in ships that have preformed this work.

In the end, this is about mastery of the spaceways. If humanity and her allies cannot fly freely in the void, then humanity cannot be called free.

Prepare your weapons. This shark is the oldest, wisest and most powerful ever encountered.

Godspeed Justice Fleet.

>Admiral Thorne, orders?

Let Commander Green fire the first shot. From there, we go to attack plan beta.

> Commander Green of the Hammer, Admiral Thorne has given you the order to fire when ready.

"Acknowledged. Four cannons on 480, burst high and in. Photon banks spread burst. Fire."

Fire plasma nets ventral and dorsal. Let's keep this 2 dimensional.

> Admiral, she blinked.

Shields full, fleet order. Lock em in tight. All ships, sphere formation.

> Moving into sphere. She's being enveloped in our sphere, Admiral.

This is it! Plasma nets right inside the sphere. Coordinated burst, 480s and torpedoes. Fire!

Damage report?

> Admiral, venting atmosphere in decks 6 and 14. Shields holding at 42%. Casualty reports incoming.

Can we confirm elimination of the target?

> Admiral, we can ... confirm elimination.

Fleet status?

> All ships reporting in, sir, varying damage and

What in the hell was that?

> Core breach malfunction in the Hammer, she's gonna blow!

Fleet order, hyperdrive out now!

This is Jamal Rashid of GNN with continuing coverage of fleet actions of the Terra Navy. The final escaped space shark was eliminated today in a brief battle after three years at large. One battleship was destoyed, confirmed to be the Hammer. The Hammer, commanded by the sole survivor of the ill-fated Freedom Fleet of three years ago, was one of the new class of warships the increasingly oppressive Terran Government has commissioned to ostensibly protect the Terran Alliance from unspecified threats. As long as GNN has received amnesty and safety on the Vegan worlds we will continue to report the truth as we detect it.

President Tannis, we call on you to stand down your fleets and preserve the freedoms you claim to espouse when you were elected those many years ago. Until then, the people of your worlds are not your subjects, but your enemies.

This is Jamal Rashid of GNN, reporting the truth.

[OOC: Times, they sure do change in three short years, eh?]

Last edited by Malleus; April 2, 2003 at 12:06.
Old April 2, 2003, 12:34   #8
Dogar
Settler

Local Time: 22:44
Lol, desperate times call for desperate measures I guess. This is good stuff, keep it coming!
Dogar is offline   Reply With Quote