Old March 30, 2003, 11:18   #31
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 15:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Winston
I'm always amazed at how many people actually believe "aliens" exist. Not that there's any evidence or even indications to support their belief.
It is far more rational to believe that, given the fact there are 100-400 billion stars in our galaxy alone, and over 150 billion galaxies, that there are sentient life forms on other worlds throughout the universe. It is rather silly to believe that we're alone in the universe, considering its scope. The odds of Earth being the only planet with life on it are so low as to make such a notion laughable.
Old March 30, 2003, 11:47   #32
Sandman
King

Local Time: 23:45
Quote:
Look at all the varieties of cars in the world right now. Look at all the varieties of cars in the world over the past several decades. How can you claim that because the details of sightings have changed that the sightings are immediately false?
Firstly, I never claimed that the sightings were immediately false, I just said that the changes in alien spacecraft suggested that it was cultural factors at work. It's also misleading to claim that it's 'the details' of the sightings that have changed, when what is being 'seen' is markedly different.

Even if we accept that the aliens have been altering their spacecraft to coincide with wider fashion trends, how do you explain the changes in the types of alien seen? We've gone from humanoids claiming to be from Venus to 'Grays', fresh from the X-files. Are they altering their appearance as well?
Old March 30, 2003, 11:49   #33
Nevs23
Chieftain

Fermi Paradox: “Why are they not here yet?”

Obviously our planet has not been substantially colonized by any extraterrestrial life form, and we do not understand why this is so.
Old March 30, 2003, 12:06   #34
Winston
Emperor

Local Time: 00:45
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov

It is far more rational to believe [... ]
Bringing rationality into the debate in support of the existance of "aliens" seems like a bit of a stretch.

Old March 30, 2003, 13:10   #35
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:

Bringing rationality into the debate in support of the existance of "aliens" seems like a bit of a stretch.

You're dodging the point. Why is it remotely rational to assume that, out of over 150 billion galaxies, each with billions upon billions of solar systems, that we're the only planet with life on it? That is simply foolish.
Old March 30, 2003, 13:18   #36
Winston
Emperor

If there were any indication of alien life, it might be foolish to believe otherwise. As it stands, no such indications are before us, so I wonder who's more foolish, the believer or the non-believer.
Old March 30, 2003, 13:20   #37
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 18:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Sandman

Firstly, I never claimed that the sightings were immediately false, I just said that the changes in alien spacecraft suggested that it was cultural factors at work. It's also misleading to claim that it's 'the details' of the sightings that have changed, when what is being 'seen' is markedly different.

Even if we accept that the aliens have been altering their spacecraft to coincide with wider fashion trends, how do you explain the changes in the types of alien seen? We've gone from humanoids claiming to be from Venus to 'Grays', fresh from the X-files. Are they altering their appearance as well?
A great wide universe; it is conceivable to believe that there is more than one type of alien on Earth. It's more reasonable to suggest, however, that the vast majority of UFO or alien encounters are hoaxes or psychological episodes of some sort. I am far more inclined to believe that UFOs are alien sightings than are encounters with alien life forms.

But, given the huge number of sightings and the great improbability of there being no life in the universe besides our own, I don't think it is entirely unreasonable to think that at some point in our history, we were visited by alien life of some sort.
Old March 30, 2003, 13:25   #38
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
If there were any indication of alien life, it might be foolish to believe otherwise. As it stands, no such indications are before us, so I wonder who's more foolish, the believer or the non-believer.
This is nonsense, as our means of detecting anything of the kind are extremely limited to our dinkly little sliver of the galaxy. Until we have the means of making detailed surveys of the galaxy, it is indeed foolish to assume we're alone in the universe, considering its sheer vastness. There's no reason to think there aren't lifeforms on other planets, and the laws of probability make it a practical certainty.
Old March 30, 2003, 13:38   #39
Winston
Emperor

Quote:
There's no reason to think there aren't lifeforms on other planets
Is that so?

Truely amazing.
Old March 30, 2003, 13:40   #40
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 01:45
Oh, and I'll answer the 'God' question in advance. questioning does God exist is vastly different, because:
a) God doesn't uphold the laws of physics, the developement of life does.
b) One may say to himself that "god exists it can't be otherwise, since someone had to create all the universe" is similar to "life exists on other planets, because it has to, statistically". But this is a wrong assumption. since the probabitity of life existing on a certain planet is derived from the laws of physics, and the assumption that some has to create all the universe is derived from the laws of human logic. We already established that god doesn't exist inside the universe, since he doens't uphold the laws of physics, so if he can exist, it must be outside the universe ( to us, a purely theoretical concept). So if his "base of operations" is outside the universe, the entire demand for god to exist, " 'cause someone had to make all of this" , that relies on the laws of human logic, is not applicable as well.

Old March 30, 2003, 13:52   #41
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:

Is that so?

Truely amazing.
Absolutely. Name me one good reason why we should assume so.
Old March 30, 2003, 14:02   #42
Ozz
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:45
We wouldn't know an alien if it slapped us in the face with it's tentacle. Hell, we're still trying to figure out
and understand whats living on earth. (like huge fungus's miles long under forests, sulphur breathing
critters living in volanic vents on the bottom of the
pacific, fish caught off madagasgar that died and have
been extinct for 40 million years.

There ain't no aliens, just life as we don't know it.
Old March 30, 2003, 14:54   #43
Jeltz
Settler

Has any of you ever seen Juhan af Grann and/or his documents on aliens? I bet he is an alien and a living proof that total a-hole alien lifeforms do exist.
Old March 30, 2003, 14:55   #44
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Yes, aliens do exist and yes, they have visited Earth. The Tunguska blast of 1909 was the first (and only) visit to Earth by aliens. Those poor ET's had the misfortune of picking Russia, the armpit of Eurasia, as their point of initial contact. After observing Russian citizens for a few days, the aliens concluded that humans were not an intelligent species and left, never to return.

So, if the aliens were hostile, thank you Russia.
If the aliens were friendly, screw you Russia.
Either way, you're still a bunch of retards.
But remember Belgium?! I mean, they were obviously warning the Belgiun government about how opposition to the US is completly wrong (You have to remember the aliens can travel in time.) and that they should support any US-lead war on anyone.

And of course you can't forget how aliens once disabled this Silo that the US had full of nukes. Of course this was just saying "Look what we shall do to your enemies in case they turn evil".

Cause when they visited Russia, they determined that not only were they stupid but evil!!!!. So they did all this. I mean, duh

Old March 30, 2003, 15:26   #45
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
But remember Belgium?! I mean, they were obviously warning the Belgiun government about how opposition to the US is completly wrong (You have to remember the aliens can travel in time.) and that they should support any US-lead war on anyone.

And of course you can't forget how aliens once disabled this Silo that the US had full of nukes. Of course this was just saying "Look what we shall do to your enemies in case they turn evil".
Lies! All lies!

The aliens didn't flee because Russians were evil, but because they were stupid (and smelly). The aliens view Russians (and all humans by unfortunate association) in much the same way we view cattle...
Old March 30, 2003, 16:14   #46
Flandrien
Civilization III PBEMIron Civers
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000
I can assure you that Belgium IS supporting the US in their war against Irak. Just look at the amount of US military material passing through the port of Antwerp.

But , back on topic :

Aliens exist.
They visited earth 65 million years ago and killed all dinosaurs, so mammals could prosper and become sentient.
Old March 30, 2003, 18:45   #47
JCG
Prince

Local Time: 17:45
We would be screwed if they did, so no and no.

EDIT: Checked the poll numbers.... Just wonderful.

Last edited by JCG; March 30, 2003 at 18:53.
Old March 30, 2003, 19:23   #48
Japher
Emperor

I already got banned for saying that Jesus was an alien, but given the facts, or lack there of, I am not going to say either way, and won't be surprise when the second coming of christ is over shadowed by his UFO and technologically advanced devices.

As a scientist:
Do I believe, no... I don't believe in anything.

Do I know, no... Thus, my opinion is just as assinine as anyone else who lacks proof of the contrary.
Old March 30, 2003, 20:10   #49
VJ
King

Quote:
Given the incredible amont of stars in space, it'd seem nearly impossible for their not to be aliens, there could even be sentient aliens out there. Certainly however they have never visited Earth.
Shi, to keep this short, I agree with you
Old March 30, 2003, 21:27   #50
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
The aliens didn't flee because Russians were evil, but because they were stupid (and smelly). The aliens view Russians (and all humans by unfortunate association) in much the same way we view cattle...
You wouldn't know!!! I've talked to them, I KNOW!!!!

Old March 30, 2003, 21:30   #51
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
I've talked to them, I KNOW!!!
I know you've talked to them; that's precisely the problem. The aliens talked to a few Russians and just assumed that the rest of humanity was equally as worthless...
Old March 30, 2003, 21:37   #52
Nubclear

Quote:
Quote:
I've talked to them, I KNOW!!!
I know you've talked to them; that's precisely the problem. The aliens talked to a few Russians and just assumed that the rest of humanity was equally as worthless...
Unfortunately, the assumption was correct
Old March 30, 2003, 22:32   #53
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

If the Aliens landed in Russia, and are really advanced, how could we tell them from the Russians? Could they not disguise themselves to such an extent that one could marry a Russian and never notice the difference?
Old March 30, 2003, 22:39   #54
Drake Tungsten
Deity

If the aliens are so intelligent, why the hell would they want to marry a Russian woman? I assume they have some taste...
Old March 30, 2003, 22:47   #55
Boris Godunov
Emperor

She's Russian.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	rusas4.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	41172  
Old March 30, 2003, 22:50   #56
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Well, you have to give them credit, Boris.
Old March 30, 2003, 23:00   #57
Nubclear

Quote:
She's Russian.
She represents another thing we shall always triumph over America in
Old March 30, 2003, 23:03   #58
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
She's Russian.
Do you mean the cat ?
Old March 30, 2003, 23:55   #59
Joseph
King

Ask the people who work at the little site that is about 15 miles away from Dream Land that is part of area 51 that is north of Las Vegas.
If you don't know there are two places at Area 51. One is the base that flies secret Air Force planes and then there is the other some 15 miles away the the Air Force Base.
Old March 30, 2003, 23:58   #60
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

You do realize there could be more than one true answer in your poll, as I do happen to have bananas in my kitchen. Yes aliens exist, no, they never visted Earth.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...