Old June 8, 2004, 14:25   #91
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 18:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Whoa you can demand stuff on day 1. If you have contacts. It does not really require strength. I am quite sure you cannot take any tech or cash from them on turn 0, but you can demand it.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2004, 16:22   #92
Whoha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
Emperor

Local Time: 17:46
I mean strong enough to actually get it :P
Whoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2004, 16:22   #93
vmxa1
Deity

Oh and what I used to do was to take systems by force and demand it. The nice thing about demanding it is it comes with all defenses left in place and no revolts.

So if I get a planet with a star bases and maybe missles, I do not have to defend it or even pacify it. So I am taking palnets at one end and get free ones at the other.
Old June 8, 2004, 16:27   #94
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Whoha
I mean strong enough to actually get it :P
Yes, but that will not be for a while and even then you can only be in so many places at once.

I can land on race A, demand a system from B and C and D. While I am doing this I have already make all the non repulsive race give me 5 or 10% tribute.

This is just too strong for regular play.
Old June 9, 2004, 06:33   #95
Dry
Prince

Local Time: 00:46
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Ok, let me stop talking about my friend's play style and let me now talk only for myself.

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
I tried playing without being repulsive and not demanding stuff, but it is hard to hold the line. Kind of line a priest going to a strip club and not looking at the naked woman, just not going to happen.
It seems I'm that kind of priest.
I don't play repulsive and I don't demand stuff. Just because I haven't search in that direction. Usually, as soon as I demand something I get war.
Today, I never demand anything, except if ... I want war. And I'm always a little bit disappointed when I get the stuff and ... no war.

Quote:
Then you also get these insanely good leaders. As a repulsive, you learn to get by without any leaders for a time an then only lame ones show. You don't get trade, you have to earn everything you get.
I agree here on the facts, I do not on the consequences.
To be 100% honest, I would add that, repulsive allows you to spy/be framed with far much less fear of war. I have noticed that when I'm repulsive, I stay at peace much more longer. A very good pick indeed for me, peacefull builder.
The only drawback for me as repulsive is the trade problem. A drawback that is not THAT big.
As a builder player, I still ask myself is it an 'easy' pick or a 'difficult' pick? With -6, it's certainly a very cheap negative pick. Far too cheap.

Quote:
I like said, I think it was a good job to recoqnize this ploy, I just don't allow myself to use it.
That I can understand.
I do not play his style, because I think it is more gambling than playing, and I prefer the builder type, going to battle only if I'm 100% sure to win.
In almost all games, there are small bugs/features that some allow themself others not.
You can't help demanding stuff, so you play repulsive; I s*ck at diplomacy/spy/counterspy, so I don't play repulsive.
Have fun is the word.
Old June 9, 2004, 11:21   #96
vmxa1
Deity

Seems fair to me and I prefer to build everything as well and play the game out to adv tech 4, while I grab all the planets.

Once in a while, a blitz is a fun change of pace.
Old June 9, 2004, 12:07   #97
Whoha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
Emperor

Local Time: 17:46
yea that sucks dry, I demand something hoping for war, and then get it, then I have to declare war
Whoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2004, 21:35   #98
Scorpi40000
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesACDG3 MorganC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Warlord

Local Time: 23:46
One of my favorite races must be this one:

Democratic
+1 BC
Fantastic Traders
Maximum minuses in spying and ship combat

This race brings in a huge amount of money that allow you to rush buy just about EVERYTHING!
The penalties in combat are offset by an enormous amount of ships...
"Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outwards, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendent, and to embrace them is to achieve enlightenment."

-- Sheng-ji Yang, "Essays on Mind and Matter"
Scorpi40000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2004, 18:25   #99
logic_error
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:46
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Scorpi40000
One of my favorite races must be this one:

Democratic
+1 BC
Fantastic Traders
Maximum minuses in spying and ship combat

This race brings in a huge amount of money that allow you to rush buy just about EVERYTHING!
The penalties in combat are offset by an enormous amount of ships...
If you are in democracy and have -10 spying penalty, your defensive spies will be -20. If the Darloks are in game, they will steal/sabotage the crap out of you (not so fun).
logic_error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2004, 18:36   #100
vmxa1
Deity

You will be wanting a large map with fewer races to avoid contacts until you have gotten the 900 and maybe 1500 spy techs with this race.

When I play with Demo races, I just hate the steals, so I crank out spies ASAP and make lots of them. And that is ithout the -spy.
I would never take that with a demo race.

Never used Traders trait.
Old June 27, 2004, 18:37   #101
Scorpi40000
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesACDG3 MorganC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Warlord

Yes i realized that in my last game... Then pick some other minus... Though the choice is between -spying and a combat minus, low G or -50% pop(And this race is good when having lotsa pop)...

But i DID rake in a couple thousand bcs/turn with this race...
"Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outwards, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendent, and to embrace them is to achieve enlightenment."

Old June 27, 2004, 18:39   #102
vmxa1
Deity

Try these picks, -gc -sd repulsive. This prevents trading and demands, which I feel are too exploitive anyway.
Old June 27, 2004, 18:42   #103
Scorpi40000
Warlord

Quote:
Never used Traders trait.
+100% bcs for trade goods is pretty good...

Old June 27, 2004, 18:45   #104
vmxa1
Deity

Maybe so, but it will not do a lot to help me expand, research or conquer.

Not to mention I can get 50% for free, just raise taxes.
Old June 27, 2004, 18:51   #105
Scorpi40000
Warlord

It can help you get money so that you can buy warships and colony ships precisely when and where you need them...

Old June 27, 2004, 19:00   #106
vmxa1
Deity

I know what it does, but 4 picks could be used to get say +1 R or P and LHW.

Getting to the point where you can build and buy ships is too late.
You will not have planets on trade very often in the early phase of the game, so it will not be yielding much.

I feel it is fine to play these races and traits for a change of pace.
The thing is that there is a reason why Traders is not a strong pick.

Now if you want a strong Demo race:

Dem Lith RHW LHW
Dem Aqua +BC
Dem Creative Aqua

With Dem Lith being a very strong race, if you can play LIths.
Old July 4, 2004, 00:50   #107
Dunnagan
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:46
depends on map size.
Lithovores rule on smaller maps, bottom line. For a small map, you don't even need to build a colony ship. I usually rush to the tech above Mass Driver, slap a single slot of 7 Hv, AF Mass Drivers on a Cruiser with a class III shield...usually you'll get one of the rush pilots in the beginning years too; one of these ships will own a star base ,even if it has a class 1 shield. what rules about the mass driver is that you can inflict good damage on missile bases etc from far off. I get lightning field asap and upgrade all my cruisers, get about 4 transports (But since you are advanced in Force Fields you will have superior ground troopage as well)

With this rush-race I use Lithovore,Creative,and repulsive

On a larger map, -20ship defense, -20 ship attack, go Subterranean-Creative-Repulsive-unification. You might think this race sucks because of the ship attributes, but trust me, tech will overwhelm the 20%. This is the race I beat my first impossible with, in a huge galaxy. the race is very good for an aggressive player,very good production with creative research backing your fleets.

oh yeah and the ant is the best ..nothing like seeing a massive ant in a scientist robe

-Dunnagan
Dunnagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2004, 00:53   #108
Dunnagan
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by logic_error

If you are in democracy and have -10 spying penalty, your defensive spies will be -20. If the Darloks are in game, they will steal/sabotage the crap out of you (not so fun).
-----------

that only applies to offensive spying, defensive spying takes half the hit.
Old July 4, 2004, 01:28   #109
vmxa1
Deity

True, but until you get some spies and some anti spy tech, they will still get steals/sab hits.
Old July 6, 2004, 10:07   #110
Dunnagan
Chieftain

Quote:
Here it is:

T0 - move all sci workers to industry. Design Cruiser as NO comp, 9 two shot nukes and extended fuel cells. This should take 19 turns to build. Note I make the missile array as 1, 2, 2, 2, 2.
Design Destroyer as the same, except two 2 shot nukes (4 missiles). Design Scout with 1 nuke.
Start CA on HW, send out colony ship to Abbith(?), not sure of name now, send out scouts.
T2(?) colonize planet and set to build DD (destroyer).

Now once scouts have done all they can send back to refit.

T15(?) not sure when I did this, but around this time you can buy the CA (cruiser).
One thing that is variable is when to refit the scouts. I found that sooner is better as it is usually needed to allow other ships to retreat. You also can not take down SB (star base) with just a 9 shot cruiser.
Sent CA to Pund and capture it.
Txx (did not note exactly when but before T18)
Kill Silicoids frigates and retreated to Pund to await the DD and DE.
DE (scout or frigate) and DD and CA all to Cryslon. I started a frigate on pund as a place holder. You will need an OP (outpost soon). Capture CRY and srt OP. (Silicoids eliminated)
T18 buy DD and send to Pund to Cryslon. Now refit scout that was not already refit.
T22 OP done, start DD, send all to Trillar.
T24 OP on Caelueb (SP), send ships on to Trillar.
T25 DD done on Cry, sent to Trillar.
T30 Capture Trillar, switch Cry to OP, send fleet to Vagn.
---

First I would like to say I've only been playing about a month and a half.

I just tried this. I never realized how great of a pick telepathic is, too bad it's a whopping six points. Transports are about 15 turns worth of production (if not more) when we're talking about taking three or four races down with speed.

So around turn 26 I was almost finished with a destroyer, with a cruiser already out. T30 I hit Altair first, I needed that artifacts homeworld.

I refitted both scouts before the attack with single shot nukes. It wasn't until I screwed up once and had to reload that I realized the true capability of scouts with Trans Dimensional.

What I did was, have all ships launch at the starbase of course. But before you click done with the scouts, move one as far south as possible, and one as far north as possible. Next turn, all launch at starbase, get scouts far away from those missiles. After this, retreat your Destroyer and Cruiser.

The missiles will now follow the scouts. I guess combat speed +4 really makes a difference, because these ships haul ass. Move the ships accordingly to west or east, or just click done if they are at the edge of the map already.

In 2-3 turns, all the missiles will hit the starbase. on the 2nd turn, you will need to retreat the scout with the closest missiles.

Now retreat the final scout once the SB is destroyed.

I love this game!!
Old July 6, 2004, 10:10   #111
Dunnagan
Chieftain

--EDITED-- oops, clicked 'Quote' instead of 'edit' ;o

Quote:
Originally posted by Dunnagan

---

First I would like to say I've only been playing about a month and a half.

I just tried this. I never realized how great of a pick telepathic is, too bad it's a whopping six points. Transports are about 15 turns worth of production (if not more) when we're talking about taking three or four races down with speed. Not to mention I usually take negative Ground Combat which makes me have to pump out even MORE transports because I'm all about the early rush.

So around turn 26 I was almost finished with a destroyer, with a cruiser already out. T30 I hit Altair first, I needed that artifacts homeworld.

I refitted both scouts before the attack with single shot nukes. It wasn't until I screwed up once and had to reload that I realized the true capability of scouts with Trans Dimensional.

What I did was, have all ships launch at the starbase of course. But before you click done with the scouts, move one as far south as possible, and one as far north as possible. Next turn, all launch at starbase, get scouts far away from those missiles. After this, retreat your Destroyer and Cruiser.

The missiles will now follow the scouts. I guess combat speed +4 really makes a difference, because these ships haul ass. Move the ships accordingly to west or east, or just click done if they are at the edge of the map already.

In 2-3 turns, all the missiles will hit the starbase. on the 2nd turn, you will need to retreat the scout with the closest missiles.

Now retreat the final scout once the SB is destroyed. I took out like 4 races like this then started going into negative BC because of command points. I'll try again and do some things different.

I love this game!!
Old July 6, 2004, 10:32   #112
Dunnagan
Chieftain

Quote:
Here it is:

T0 - move all sci workers to industry. Design Cruiser as NO comp, 9 two shot nukes and extended fuel cells. This should take 19 turns to build. Note I make the missile array as 1, 2, 2, 2, 2.

T30 Capture Trillar, switch Cry to OP, send fleet to Vagn..

First try I did pretty well, aside from going into negative BC like I said.

never done this before, but assuming savegame4 is the fourth one in my savegame slots, here's the file.

guess I should rename this, I got an error. renaming it to .gif
Attached Images:
File Type: gif save4.gif (57.6 KB, 93 views)
Old July 6, 2004, 10:33   #113
Dunnagan
Chieftain

Quote:

never done this before, but assuming savegame4 is the fourth one in my savegame slots, here's the file.

guess I should rename this, I got an error. renaming it to .gif
ok that was a bad idea. renaming it to a non image file.
Attached Files:
File Type: txt save4.txt (57.6 KB, 2 views)
Old July 6, 2004, 11:36   #114
Dunnagan
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Dry
Vmxa1,
as soon as there are missile bases, I'm dead.
Read my post on how to use the scouts, if you do it right you can take anything down short of a fighter garrison with 2 cruisers, 2 destroyers, and 2 scouts. (note: you may be in negative command points with the 2nd destroyer..) the missile bases go down easily, just take out the MB, retreat, come back for the starbase.
Old July 6, 2004, 11:40   #115
Dunnagan
Chieftain

Quote:

3-you need at least one >outpost< and probably more.
^^^^^
You productionis bad, so this will be a problem.
---

since I don't own the manual, I have absolutely no clue what those are for. could someone make it clear?

---
Old July 6, 2004, 13:46   #116
Brutalisk
Warlord

Quote:
"It wasn't until I screwed up once and had to reload"
You have to get that one out of your system -> learn to play with the knocks.. It's going to improve your game.

As for your last post, you were asking what outposts are?
Brutalisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2004, 13:56   #117
vmxa1
Deity

Outpost are starter colonies, I guess you could call them that.
It acts as a colony for purpose of range. They are cheaper to make than colony ships.

You can even build them on gas planets. Later you could send a colony ship and make a true colony. The outpost becomes a marine barracks. So this can be a way to jump start a new colony for races that get the morale boost from a barracks.

Most people post saves by changing the type from gam to sav. This site allow sav as a file type.
Old July 6, 2004, 14:01   #118
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:

I cannot recall this game, but just an FYI, you can raise taxes for a while if need be to stay solvent.
Old July 6, 2004, 14:59   #119
Dunnagan
Chieftain

Quote:
Outpost are starter colonies, I guess you could call them that.
It acts as a colony for purpose of range. They are cheaper to make than colony ships.

You can even build them on gas planets. Later you could send a colony ship and make a true colony. The outpost becomes a marine barracks. So this can be a way to jump start a new colony for races that get the morale boost from a barracks.

Most people post saves by changing the type from gam to sav. This site allow sav as a file type.
Thank you for clearing that up, vx. however I still don't see myself pumping this out instead of a spy, I think on impossible the computer gets 5 free spies. I always get spied on by at least 3 races before turn 30 on a small map if I'm creative. (the only reason I related this to a spy is because they both cost 100)
Old July 6, 2004, 15:20   #120
vmxa1
Deity

They do not get any free anything, they get what you get. The difference is that as you move up levels, the AI pays the same for research and you pay more more. So in effect they are getting a bonus,

You can look at the races and see that they have no spies as soon as you make contact.

Anyway in this type of a game (race picks), you care little about spies as you are not researching anyway. You are eliminating races.

You have to get the OP as it will be needed to get the next target in range. So it depends on the map layout, exactly when you need that OP, but you will need one fairly soon.

This race does not make anything except ships and OP's. I sometimes will relent in mid game on one planet to do some RL's.

This will be for a planet that is too far back to send ships anyway.