Old March 30, 2003, 14:56   #1
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 16:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Fiend
So, I was looking around the net for simple open-source 2D games to see how they could be implemented in OpenGL, and found this one game called Fiend. So, I figured I'd share with you all.

The game isn't anything special at a first glance - the 2D overhead view is rather outdated nowadays, and some of the typos and grammatical errors in the story detract a little bit. (Though since the programmers are from Sweden, you gotta hand it to them - the story is pretty cool.)

But... Despite its simplicity the game is creepy. The sound effects, though obviously homebrewed, are good, and some of the textures are cool.

All in all, a great game to waste an hour of your life on, especially since it is free. (Or you could waste even more time on it if you like playing around with code, although the Allegro libraries used are a bit dated.)

Post here what you think about the game, and maybe some additional levels if you want to create some - the map editor is fairly comprehensive.
Spore page
Old March 30, 2003, 17:42   #2
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

It crashed on my system...
Old March 30, 2003, 17:59   #3
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Sorry, Static.

What kind of system do you have? Since the game was written with fairly old libraries, if you have very something ultra-new it might not work, I suppose. Then again, there is the idea of backwards-compatibility (that is, newer hardware being supposedly able to support older software) and the fact that I was able to run it on my WinXP machine. 'Course, I didn't run the executables they already had up on the site, but compiled the game on my own, so that might be a part of the problem... (or rather, my success, and your inability to play.)
Spore page
Old March 30, 2003, 18:25   #4
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Windows 98SE on a three year old AMD machine. The monitor flickered a few times as the program apparently tried to switch video modes, and then a dialogue popped up informing me of an illegal operation.

My graphics card isn't the best, but I would assume that would help and not hurt here.

Oh, well, I probably don't want to start into a new game anyway.
Old March 30, 2003, 21:12   #5
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 15:47
Quote:
Originally posted by Static Universe
then a dialogue popped up informing me of an illegal operation.
That message always scares the he|| out of me. I immediately start listing for the sound of jackbooted computer cops breaking down my door as they come to arrest me and to haul me off to prison.