Old March 31, 2003, 05:43   #31
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 22:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

You wouldn't want me to be more thoughtful when I'm in a bad mood and somebody is pissing me off. It's for the better of everyone...
No. If your thoughtful when your angry, its very good for everyone.

Quote:
Look: You were acting like a tw4t, I treated you like one, and you got angry. Deal with it.
You are proving my point Asher. You cannot accept friendly advice because you always think that the sender is always trying to say "Har har, I'm smarter than U! har har har".

If you can't take advice, then how will you ever grow?

Quote:
Then to further dig yourself a hole, you drag it out in public.

I'm not the one not accepting PMs, now am I?
Old March 31, 2003, 05:44   #32
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 16:49
Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
Asher: Have you actually seen the 15 minutes of film you're talking about?

No? Didn't think so....

I haven't seen it either, and I guess that your version of events is probably closer to the truth than Daz's, but nevertheless it seems odd that you would attack his interpretation of the footage without even having seen it yourself.

Like I said, I'm inclined to believe Daz is just trolling, but I'm certainly not going to argue about it if I haven't had the chance to forge my own opinion of the footage in question. To do so seems silly.
I'm arguing with him based on his description of what he claims shows that the footage was faked. There's nothing wrong with that.
Old March 31, 2003, 05:45   #33
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 00:49
Local Date: November 2, 2010
We all know how independant these "embedded" journalists are...

Luckily there are serveral journalists left who don't want to be "embedded" into a military unit...

Unfonrtunately the US says they won't protect them at all, like that Journalist who got killed just recently by the Americans.. Well we all know how top quality CNN is
Old March 31, 2003, 05:45   #34
Daz
Prince

Asher: I give up. You win. Hooray.

You can go back watching CNN now...
Old March 31, 2003, 05:45   #35
HershOstropoler
Settler

Local Time: 23:49
NYE:

"Why do you think the same thing could not happen now?"

It could, but it's quite unlikely. The media are pampering the politicians instead of controlling them, even the Washington Post and the NY Times. If you compare it with what the british or german press have to say about politicians, it's incredibly lame.

"I don't see anyone's journalists, grouped on nationality, to have any higher credibility than the Yanks, with very few exceptions. Most have far less."

Pretty fat call. Well, how much do you know about german or french journalism, hmm?
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old March 31, 2003, 05:46   #36
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000
No. If your thoughtful when your angry, its very good for everyone.
No, I just think of more creative places for you to go to when I'm thoughtful and angry...

Quote:
You are proving my point Asher. You cannot accept friendly advice because you always think that the sender is always trying to say "Har har, I'm smarter than U! har har har".

If you can't take advice, then how will you ever grow?
I can take advice, just not from certain people. You happen to be one of those people...

Quote:

I'm not the one not accepting PMs, now am I?
That's because I, once again, overestimated your intelligence. I'd assumed you'd be smart enough/mature enough to let it die. C'est la vie.
Old March 31, 2003, 05:49   #37
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
That's because I, once again, overestimated your intelligence. I'd assumed you'd be smart enough/mature enough to let it die. C'est la vie.

You are hardly one to be talking about maturity when some people are on your "list" of "I can accept advice from" and "I can't for whatever reason."

You could easily open the PM box and we could duke it out in private....If thats what you actually want, of course
Old March 31, 2003, 05:52   #38
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:

You are hardly one to be talking about maturity when some people are on your "list" of "I can accept advice from" and "I can't for whatever reason."
There's nothing wrong with not taking advice from people you have zero respect for.

I wouldn't take advice from Albert Speer, nor Giancarlo either.

That's not immature, it's practical.

Quote:
You could easily open the PM box and we could duke it out in private....If thats what you actually want, of course
I don't want to duke it out, I wanted it to die, which is why I locked the damn box to begin with. But you wouldn't have that, would you.
Old March 31, 2003, 05:54   #39
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

HershOstropoler:

But there are literally millions of them. Do you think that every single person in American media is out to cover for Bush and co? I refer you to Michael Moore's recent outburst. He is fairly close to the mind set of many in American media. Do you think Mr. Moore is pampering Mr. Bush?

Haha. I left myself an out. 'Very few exceptions'. Most of those would be found in Western Europe. But what do French people do about knowing that their President is a lying, theiving, hack? At least the Yanks require that theirs have never been caught before.
Old March 31, 2003, 05:56   #40
Nubclear

Quote:

There's nothing wrong with not taking advice from people you have zero respect for.

I wouldn't take advice from Albert Speer, nor Giancarlo either.

That's not immature, it's practical.
You deny yourself knowledge because it comes from a source you dont respect? Maybe I could route it through a source you respect?

Quote:
I don't want to duke it out, I wanted it to die, which is why I locked the damn box to begin with. But you wouldn't have
that, would you.
All one simply has to do is stop responding to the poster in order to kill a subject.....It becomes much easier if there are less people involved
Old March 31, 2003, 05:58   #41
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
You deny yourself knowledge because it comes from a source you dont respect?
If Albert Speer sent you a PM giving you "friendly advice", would you take it?

How about HARDMAN? Or CivNation?

Quote:
All one simply has to do is stop responding to the poster in order to kill a subject.....It becomes much easier if there are less people involved
It was dead a couple days ago, and I'd prefer it stay that way.

I realize that as a philosopher, you truly enjoy flamewars and have nothing better to do with your time, but I'd rather spend my time on Apolyton not virtually strangling someone.
Old March 31, 2003, 06:01   #42
Daz
Prince

FrustratedPoet: Funny that YOU mention the term TROLL. Attacking is the best defense, eh...?

The report was on a Swiss/Austrian TV station 3Sat, and was called "How the reporting becomes faking" and it featured what I explained above.

No clip was available at the web site just a text on what the schow was about

Quote:
Amerika im Krieg: Seit Tagen bringen die Medien ihre Bilder in Stellung. Die Front reicht bis an den Times Square. Die Schlacht gerät zum Videoclip. Moderatoren und Reporter inszenieren den Wüstenkrieg als Live-Spektakel. Dabei sein ist alles bei diesem schaurigen Event. Es gilt, die patriotische Schlacht medial zu verkaufen. (Bild: CNN)
I wont bother translating, because you'll say that that it just MY view of the translation...

Now YOU stop TROLLING.
Old March 31, 2003, 06:02   #43
Nubclear

Quote:

If Albert Speer sent you a PM giving you "friendly advice", would you take it?

How about HARDMAN? Or CivNation?
If it was good advice, then yes.

Quote:
I realize that as a philosopher, you truly enjoy flamewars and have nothing better to do with your time,

Regarding the philosopher bit....I thank you for your compliment

Quote:
but I'd rather spend my time on Apolyton not virtually strangling someone.
But thats all that happens here in the OT......
Old March 31, 2003, 06:03   #44
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
If it was good advice, then yes.
What if it was incredibly stupid, obvious, and for something you already addressed?

Quote:
Regarding the philosopher bit....I thank you for your compliment
You can take it as one, but you know that's not how it was intended.
Old March 31, 2003, 06:05   #45
Daz
Prince

Hey Tass, Asher. Please.... the on-topic posts are being lost in your spam....

Cut it out...
Old March 31, 2003, 06:07   #46
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz

Cut it out...
Yes, I apologize I'm Russian.....That means I can troll quite well, but I always fall victim to the victims of my troll

Meaning I've disappeared from the thread, of course
Old March 31, 2003, 06:08   #47
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz

Cut it out...

As you wish, sire.

Tass: And for the record, my PM box was only blocked for 15 minutes. I didn't need it blocked after you thought it was blocked for good.
Old March 31, 2003, 06:14   #48
HershOstropoler
Settler

NYE:

"I refer you to Michael Moore's recent outburst. He is fairly close to the mind set of many in American media."

Moore is a fringe figure in the american media.

"But what do French people do about knowing that their President is a lying, theiving, hack? At least the Yanks require that theirs have never been caught before."

That's why they reelected Clinton and his impeachment failed? It's the same as with Chirac or Schröder, you have alternatives that suck even more to a majority of the electorate.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old March 31, 2003, 06:18   #49
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by HershOstropoler
Moore is a fringe figure in the american media.
He's a succesful television personality, bestselling author and Oscar winner. True, he isn't necessarily the voice of the people, and certainly isn't a spokesperson for the media, but clearly his opinions are of significant interest to a very large number of people.
Personally, I think he's a vulgar, pompous, self-righteous, opinionated *******, but it's still very interesting to hear what he has to say.
Dismissing him as a 'fringe figure' doesn't seem right to me.
Old March 31, 2003, 06:22   #50
HershOstropoler
Settler

His own books and movies, yes. But what role does he play on the networks and in the broadsheets?
Old March 31, 2003, 09:57   #51
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 06:49
Quote:
Yes, CNN didn't show the full 15 minute long uncut material used for the CNN report. Why?
Because the footage is staged.

If they were showing the truth, why did they have to film the same soldier "attacking" an Iraqi tank twice? What the hell is the point of showing an anti-tank missile blasting an abandoned APC?

That is plain and simple propaganda.
Old March 31, 2003, 10:03   #52
Daz
Prince

oooo, at last someone dares to use the P word.

Old March 31, 2003, 10:36   #53
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Of course CNN's coverage of the war has strong elements of propaganda. So does the BBC's coverage. And Al Jazeera's. Etc etc etc...

What's new?
Old March 31, 2003, 10:45   #54
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 06:49
I think both BBC and al-Jazeera are much better than CNN, though BBC's continuous display of gullibility (repeatedly reporting Umm Qsar and Basra captured by UK forces) doesn't help.
Old March 31, 2003, 10:49   #55
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

As long as the reports from journalists rely directly upon information given to them by the military on either side, or are directly monitored by the Iraqi regime (as is the case of the reporters 'on the ground' in Baghdad) then it will be impossible to avoid propaganda seeping into the news - even if the reporters have the best of intentions.
Old March 31, 2003, 10:55   #56
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I try and stay well away from the 24 hour news networks. The very rarely have anything interesting to report. The whole thing seems to be filled with aimless speculation since their air time is so empty (even during this time of war) of anything resembling facts that they feel compelled to report every vague rumour or unsubstantiated opinion as 'news'.

I really dislike the BBC service, but sadly it's still the best TV news I've ever seen.

Which reminds me, we haven't had a "Isn't the BBC license fee a huge rip-off?" thread for a while.
Old March 31, 2003, 11:12   #57
Spec
Emperor

Quote:

Yeah, okay, I've seen footage far worse than that on American TV stations.
You did ?!?! When and where? In a movie?

Quote:
BTW, I realize this wasn't a rant of yours, it was a troll.

A very typical one, where the lefty Euro shrugs and sighs, puts forth a really weird and incomprehensible argument and wags a finger saying "and you guys in America wouldn't know this since your stations don't ever show it!". When, in fact, they've shown far worse than that. Sometimes live, even.
Now THIS is trolling. And second, America is the only country where dead american corpses aren't shown.

Quote:
Get over it -- CNN didn't deem it newsworthy to show guns jamming every time it occurs. Oh the humanity of it all.
You just didn't get what he ment. It was supposed to be all action and stuff for the camera when the gun jammed. It was all made up. Read again, slowly, and you'll understand.

Spec.
Old March 31, 2003, 11:56   #58
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 17:49
Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
Dismissing him as a 'fringe figure' doesn't seem right to me.
He's the left's less successful version of Rush Limbaugh.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old March 31, 2003, 12:06   #59
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 17:49
Quote:
Originally posted by Spectator
And second, America is the only country where dead american corpses aren't shown.
Where did you get that idea from? They had no problem showing US soldiers being drug through the streets of Mogadishu.
Old March 31, 2003, 12:21   #60
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 18:49
So wait... you are saying CNN is forged because of a 'report' done by a German tv station? What makes them credible?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)