Old March 31, 2003, 13:11   #61
HershOstropoler
Settler

Local Time: 23:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
3Sat vs CNN, and you have to ask about CREDIBILITY !?
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old March 31, 2003, 13:27   #62
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 16:49
I guess people want to see what they want to see.

If CNN had a report saying: US troops demolioshed abandoned equipment, then everything is fine. The problem (the one many of you seem to want to ignore) is that CNN is passing footage of abandoned equipment in the rear being demolished for equipment destroyed in the heat of battle. They are not the same thing. Would US success be any less if they stated the truth?

NYE: the US media is hardly "liberal" anymore. Just look at the three 24 hour news channels: CNN is moderate, MSNBC is tyring to be somehting, and FoxNews might as well be called "Conservative TV".
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old March 31, 2003, 13:27   #63
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 18:49
Oh
my
God. . .

There's propaganda on TV during a war? Stop the presses everyone, this is front page news!

Get a ****ing life. Americans pay a lot of money so we can see things blowing up. That's why we like wars. We don't want people to die or get hurt, not really anyways. We just like to see anti-tank missles fired at empty armored vehicles. It looks cool. And it makes us feel good.

If Europe is populated by a bunch of people who don't get their kicks by blowing things up, that's fine. But just try to show some cultural sensetivity and recognize that we aren't as boring and lame as you all.
Old March 31, 2003, 13:29   #64
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 00:49
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Felch X
Oh
my
God. . .

There's propaganda on TV during a war? Stop the presses everyone, this is front page news!

Get a ****ing life. Americans pay a lot of money so we can see things blowing up. That's why we like wars. We don't want people to die or get hurt, not really anyways. We just like to see anti-tank missles fired at empty armored vehicles. It looks cool. And it makes us feel good.

If Europe is populated by a bunch of people who don't get their kicks by blowing things up, that's fine. But just try to show some cultural sensetivity and recognize that we aren't as boring and lame as you all.

The more I read your posts, the more I love them
Old March 31, 2003, 13:31   #65
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

The media being used for propoganda during a war??

The shock and horror of it

IN a war, all media are used, either as unwitting pawns that repeat propoganda or disinformation fed to them by the military establishment or as active participants.

I did not see the German or CNN pieces reference so can't comment on them specifically. I have seen pieces where CNN showed the destruction of captured tanks or APCs using a rocket though.

When I first read the stuff at the beginning of the thread I figured that a reporter had missed out on filming an actual firefight and then wanted to get some explosions to make it "look" better.
Old March 31, 2003, 13:36   #66
GePap
Emperor

Quote:

Yes, whent he press calls itself independent and objective. If CNN where US state television, I would have no problem.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old March 31, 2003, 14:00   #67
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
Quote:

Yes, whent he press calls itself independent and objective. If CNN where US state television, I would have no problem.
Well CNN is hardly as bad as state-TV. They seem to have no problem reporting on what could be portrayed as "negative " news. I doubt you will see anything on Iraqi Tv questioning the regime, mentioning any troop surrenders or predicting anything but glorious victory.

I do dislike the fact that CNN almost seem to be cheerleaders but I am not suprised given that embedded reporters will definitely begin to identify with the troops they are with for days on end. That said, I have little doubt that CNN and all the rest of the US media will be quick to jump all over the Bush administration if the war goes badly. I see them as biased in favor of the US against the Iraqis, but quite willing to embarrass Bush or Runsfeld et al if given the chance
Old March 31, 2003, 14:21   #68
Victor Galis
Emperor

TV5 is a much more reliable news source than any American channel. The US networks are almost completely ignoring civilian casualties and other such things.
Old March 31, 2003, 16:48   #69
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Spectator
You did ?!?! When and where? In a movie?
Why do people have trouble with this?
I've detailed it no less than TWO times in this thread.

Try reading...

Quote:
Now THIS is trolling. And second, America is the only country where dead american corpses aren't shown.
I've seen American corpses on CNN...what the hell are you talking about?

Quote:
You just didn't get what he ment. It was supposed to be all action and stuff for the camera when the gun jammed. It was all made up. Read again, slowly, and you'll understand.
No, I got it -- the thing is, it doesn't prove a damn thing that it's staged.

It sounds like standard military crap, but the report painted it in a way to make it look like it was staged ("look george, they blew up an empty tank! Clearly they staged that to make it look like they were in a battle!")
Old March 31, 2003, 17:55   #70
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 17:49
well whether they staged it or not, if CNN is showing an empty tank blowing up and showing that as footage as some lame ass reporter is talking about stuff... then the implication that you show to the viewers is that they are wtaching a tank that blew up in battle. Which is incorect

Anyways, really... does it matter? Sure they are reporting thigns wrong, but media has always been a reatard. I;ve seen the Ny times post a pic of F-16 and caption it as a F-22. And Im sure showing an empty tank burning is alot safer to film than an actual tank that is burning from a battle.

Anyways. Asher. You discredit Daz' statement by saying that you can never be sure.... But you sound So sure yourself that its a "standard military" crap.

I got it, the thing is, it doesnt prove a damn thing its stage OR it hasnt been staged. So end of discussion. Beleive what you like. Pick a choice out of a hat if you'd like.
Old March 31, 2003, 19:03   #71
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
Just look at the three 24 hour news channels: CNN is moderate, MSNBC is tyring to be somehting, and FoxNews might as well be called "Conservative TV".
CNN is moderate? Well that sure is news (no pun intended) to me! Seeing as I watch it everyday, I can assure you it leans left. MSNBC also leans a little to the left. Though, I can see why you might say they were moderate... because Fox News can make Ted Kennedy look moderate by comparison .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old April 1, 2003, 01:54   #72
HershOstropoler
Settler

Local Time: 23:49
"I can assure you it leans left"

“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old April 1, 2003, 01:58   #73
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

They showed stuff blowing up so they could pretend that their reporters are in the heat of battle. They also showed it because the soldier's gun jamming or the bicycle guy isn't cool looking. However, the throwing grenades inside tanks and the blowing up APCs would happen whether or not reporters were there. Think about it. Would you leave enemy military equipment lying around behind your line?

Basically, the reporters found a way to show stuff blowing up without risking their lives. I'm sure stuff blows up in battle too. CNN just can't afford to send troops into battle.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old April 1, 2003, 02:36   #74
Daz
Prince

Local Time: 22:49
You folks missunderstood what this is about. Of course its "normal" to use propaganda in times of war. All sides use it and all we can do is try to hear all sides and combine some kind of truth.

This is a cute case of getting caught in a lie. The most funny part is that its CNN, "the professionals", the global news network whose reporters we respect so much.

No wonder Peter Arnett ran away...