Old March 31, 2003, 12:11   #1
vee4473
King

Local Time: 17:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Biggest galaxy size won
I have won 2 games on a tiny map.

I started up a game with the largest galaxy size possible just out of curiosity.

Wow, i was fairly stunned.

So many stars (with "loose clusters" setting) and a huge map, i can only imagine the length of time needed to win on such a map.

I'm thinking however that my 700mhz comp won't be able to last in such a galaxy..
Old March 31, 2003, 12:12   #2
vee4473
King

oh, and i meant to ask what was the biggest galaxy size you guys have won so far.
Old March 31, 2003, 12:20   #3
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 18:50
Medium.

The next sizes up absolutely scare me! (But, Lord, I can't wait to sit down and play one that takes 2 weeks to finish!)

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
yin26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2003, 12:37   #4
Nirvana_CN
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:50
Medium.

I fired up a Huge map on my 1st game, but when it came apparent it would take months to win or lose, i decided to learn to play on small and tiny maps, i moved to medium once i got a grip on things.
Old March 31, 2003, 12:43   #5
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Hmmm. I bet you're right. The largest map (Humongus?) would probably take a month or more...! It will be a good long time before I want to take on that type of game, but I know eventually I'll want to!

Old March 31, 2003, 13:35   #6
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 15:50
I played my first game on a medium map, and it took me 4 days to beat it...probably played for a total of 20 hours, though. I can't even imagine what playing on the huge setting would be like. A game of epic proportions, no doubt! However, I think I will wait to try such a game until a few more updates are out. I'd like to get a greater variety of events, UP resolutions and the other little things before tackling something that prodigious.
Old March 31, 2003, 13:58   #7
BlueDEvil
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:50
Only bad thing about playing large or huge maps is the mini map doesn't show your starbases or free resource properly unless you zoom in. They just show up as dots. Knowing how slow your ships are and their limited range, it going take a long time just to reach over the other side. I really don't like the cluster type of galaxy which make expansion very difficult. Building starbase seem logical, but at one square movement, it would take years to send a contructor there. Another bad thing about the map is players can start the game in the corner, many squares away from the closes cluster. You get one less competitor in the game.
BlueDEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2003, 14:01   #8
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Some good points. First, do you know about the ctrl+N button that will generate a new map?

I think on a huge map, you'd need to take over your neighbor first and use him as a beach head instead of trying to stuff so far away. To add to you point, though, I think huge maps should give you some extra bonus movement points or something...

Old March 31, 2003, 17:59   #9
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 00:50
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Medium map on Beginner difficulty level.
I won this one in half a day with cultural victory...i didn't even mean to win so fast, it just happened.

Medium is about as big as i'll go for now, haven't looked at the other sizes yet, but medium could take a while on higher difficulty levels. My current game on a Small map with Sub-Normal is already taking longer then the one on the medium map.
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Lemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2003, 19:38   #10
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Small only so far, but I am thinking of taking a run at the biggest, just to see how it looks. I would probably bail out after a few days.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2003, 20:36   #11
CiverDan
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Lux InvictaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Roleplay
Prince

I have played and won up to medium by cultural means, all set on fool. Didn't have to do much other than go with high mil production until all available systems were taken, then split all production. With the Medium map, I didn't even use the influence bonus. All I had to do was win the planet grabbing contest. I then started with a Large map, fool, with +15% planet Quality bonus. Started in large cluster. Grabbed everything intially class 14 or higher (14 becomes 16 ). I got to 95% culture victory within 5 years. It has since dropped to 85%. I few cultural starbases in the right locations/targeted miltary attacks should secured this victory fairly quickly.

IMHO cultural controll expanded too much into unclaimed territory. One should be forced to at least build a starbase or colonize a planet adacent to a sector to claim. This would stop "do nothing" victories on the easiest levels where all that mattters is the initial planet grabs. Unless you do something dumb, you will win. In all 3 games i didn't attack any ships/planets at all.
Old March 31, 2003, 21:53   #12
vmxa1
Deity

Wait a minute, it seems to me that if one wants to play on fool level, they are welcome to do so, but not to expect any sort of challenge.
IOW a "do noting victory" seems fine to me on the lowest possible level. Now if you move up to bright and see the same thing, now we have a problem.
I dislike games that have the lowest level be hard to beat, that is not in the best interest of the game.
I have seen too many games cater to hard core players and make it so a casual player can not beat the lowest level. What is the point of that. Just make the highest level as hard as the hard core player want it.
I work my way up to diety or impossible on most games, but was shocked at AoW II lowest level on the first map.
I mean players (me) that had played AoW were struggling on the first map. I suspect many just tossed it in. BTW the they had to come out with an even lower level in a patch.
So Brad, leave the lower levels alone and make the higher ones harder instead.
Old March 31, 2003, 22:15   #13
vee4473
King

i agree, AOW2 left me crippled on the easiest setting. Cool game, but hard.

I have beaten a tiny map in galciv with all races set to "fool". It wasn't a hard win either.

I kicked their asses...But, when i upped the races to merely "beginner", I won again, but by the skin of my teeth.

It could be because of my inexperience with the game, but the game seems to use the difficulty settings in a true sense so far.
Old March 31, 2003, 22:16   #14
vee4473
King

vmx, what is your avatar? just curious
Old April 1, 2003, 01:25   #15
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by vee4473
vmx, what is your avatar? just curious
Ah, never played Moo1 I take it? It is a Klackon page 39 of the manual.
Old April 1, 2003, 07:30   #16
vee4473
King

no, moo2 was my first experience with the series.