Old March 31, 2003, 18:12   #1
Trifna
King

Local Time: 06:52
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Starbases: how to use them?
I wondered how you guys were using starbases. Personally, I jump on ressources and I add stuff to boost trade. I add military when I need to defend them and further in the game I boost my production with starbases.

You? What would be the best?
Old March 31, 2003, 19:35   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 18:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I don't know either, I am still testng. I do like increase ship speed, to get those fleets from one place to another. If you want to take over planets with culture adding that to SB is very good.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2003, 20:04   #3
PriestOfDiscord
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:52
The Social/Military bonuses are quite nice in the early game at your home system. On the borders though, it is all about culture. Worry about defending them though, because it seems the 2 evil races are fond of targeting them with heavy force.
Old March 31, 2003, 21:55   #4
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 18:52
I tend to drop a few ships one the ones in danger. 138 HP is not going to be busted by just any old ship though.
I had many attacks stopped by the SB by itself.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2003, 04:18   #5
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 00:52
Drop 'm on all resources, get the +5 defense first in case the civs get any bright ideas. Then increase resources mining.
I only do trade and production if it makes a difference or if i have too much constructors (ie. never ).
I always do culture, and if i'm going to war, i first save up some constructor ship, about 6 of them. Then upgrade the military modules and attack.
The Culture Maximizing tech rocks btw...+300% culture in your starbase
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Lemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2003, 09:06   #6
BlueDEvil
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:52
Build a starbase in your sector with lots of planets. This will benefit all the planets in that sector with big production bonus. From what I see, production bonus affects both building structures and ships. Resources are garbage because most of them appear in isolated places, so their production bonus is really not applicable. I build my starbase in a sector with most planets with or without resource.

Another good thing about starbase is they attract enemies into a trap. Just build one between you and the enemy. Beef up all the attack only, so all your ships in that sector gain that amount of attack. Your ships can kill enemy ships like flies, and getting level up pretty fast. Repair bay is also necessary. Starbase have good HP, so it keep your weaken ships from getting killed when your ships are stack with it.
BlueDEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2003, 09:54   #7
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

I use them mostly for culture. Definitely get some defense on them as early as possible. When in war, the AI always target starbases first and it is devastating to watch five or six bases go down in flames along with all their bonuses. The +5 defensive bonus is usually good enough to get by with until the battleship comes along so that will give you some time to beef up your fleet.
Harry Seldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2003, 10:25   #8
PDifolco
Civilization II Succession Games
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:52
Same as BlueDevil, I've found they are VERY useful at boosting everything in your "core" sectors, resources or not. A big defense base boosting friendly ships attack and defense is way better than just more starships, and the SB economic/morale bonuses are better and cheaper than Social projects, plus they cost NO maintenance
In fact by mid-game I think you should crank up constructors by the dozen to establish a powerful base for late galactic domination !
PDifolco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2003, 10:27   #9
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

, i just read on galciv.com that with multiple starbases in a sector, the bonusses stack!
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Lemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2003, 11:20   #10
Malleus
NationStates
Warlord

Local Time: 14:52
In my just completed game my core sectors had 3 starbases with full production, culture and trade improvements.

Any sector outside the core which had planets had a culture palace and all the fixin's with ample defense.

I only possessed one resource.

M

President of the nation of Riis in W3's SimCountry.
Malleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2003, 14:58   #11
Didymus
lifer
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueDEvil
... Resources are garbage because most of them appear in isolated places, so their production bonus is really not applicable...
Resource bonuses are GLOBAL to your civ. That's what makes them strategic.
By midgame, a resource can add +50% to one attribute. That ain't chump change!
John 6:68
Didymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2003, 16:51   #12
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Of course, you have to hold onto the resource until midgame. I've had civs with warm relations smile politely as they destroyed my starbase right before three constructors show up.
Harry Seldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2003, 18:33   #13
PriestOfDiscord
Chieftain

The Yor trashed my two starbases both sitting on economic bonuses with missiles right at the beginning of a war, this in the last game I just played. In essentially one strike they destroyed my ability to make decent money.

Last edited by PriestOfDiscord; April 1, 2003 at 18:41.
PriestOfDiscord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2003, 20:12   #14
The Templar
Prince

I've been using mine for culture mostly. At select systems with high production however, I build starbases with all of the production boosting modules. And I'm kicking ass (on beginner, in my first game. >>Sigh<<)
The Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2003, 09:25   #15
unic
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Chieftain

In my first game, I used mine for culture mostly... this time around, in my second game, I threw up three of them in a sector with high industry, and put all the manufacturing improvements on them, which really made a huge difference.

I've also started upgrading some of them to increase revenue from trade routes, in the hope of helping my economy (is there a bug with this? I reloaded my saved game, and my economy seemed to have dropped since I saved it - I'm suddenly losing about 100 bc / turn), but am so far unsure about how efficient it is.

Havn't done any of the military upgrades, as I'm not fighting yet.
unic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2003, 10:54   #16
Kinjiru
lifer
The Courts of Candle'BreCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueMacSpore
King

Hee Hee... Last night I loaded up a save game from a couple nights ago. Went along fine for a while, then got into a long war with the Yor. We went about pillaging each other and generally depleting each others resources. I was pretty sure this meant I was not going to to win the game since during this war the Arcs kept steadily progressing in all areas.

Then I noticed these two planets off in the far corner that I had settled long ago and forgotten about. And since I turned off notification for most everything (can't be distracted from the war you know!), I had no idea what was there.

So I click on over and what do I find? About 40 constructors all waiting for me. Well, clickety-click, there we go, six fleets of seven constuctors each. Put them on a course for the rear of the Yor empire. When they got there I instantly had three Yor sectors with three culture filled starbases (and a little defense of course). Rush some ships over to defend them and in a few turns (okay more like 15) those sectors have defected to me!

War... over....
Kinjiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2003, 16:42   #17
sacjim
Settler

I think a couple of the cultural bonuses for starbases should also give a small econ bonus to planets in the sector

off the top of my head, i think there's a shopping center, and a waterslide park that give big culture bonuses. Seems like those should affect your economy, since it's basically tourism.
sacjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2003, 03:35   #18
BlueDEvil
Chieftain

I much prefer to have morale bonus modules like holiday resort. It is quite difficult to handle large population with the morale dropping so rapidly.
BlueDEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2003, 21:50   #19
LDiCesare
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

I use star bases for offense/defense. I build them in clusters around the corners of sectors, farthest possible from the enemies, so it is easier to protect all of them with a single ship. In my territory, I boost whatever production and ship offense is available.
But the most useful usage of these beasts is offense: Stack 3 or four constructors, move them in opponent sector, build star base, add +6 to ship attack and smite them. That way you lose little or no ship, can recycle the starbase later into a production/culture base if you like to. These bases make it very easy to attack/defend a given sector.
LDiCesare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2003, 23:11   #20
Fried-Psitalon
Civilization IV: MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC4DG Sarantium
Official Civilization IV Strategy Guide Co-Author

In a day or two I'll be posting a few screenshots about why Starbases are completely broken in the overpowered direction right now...

Starbase productivity bonuses stack. I have a system that is doing....frightening...things.....per turn.

There are a LOT of starbases with everything up to Massive Scaled Factories there.....
Fried-Psitalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2003, 09:17   #21
LDiCesare
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Does the AI use star bases aggressively at high levels? By aggressively, I mean building clusters of starbases between their stars.
LDiCesare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2003, 16:47   #22
Brizey
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

unic:

two things:

1) Did you load an autosave? Might not have been the very last turn.

2) Don't forget that tribute can alter you instantenous economic balance by quite a bit. Did you have a tribute agreement run out?
Old April 9, 2003, 21:26   #23
eloquence
Settler

Local Time: 14:52
Starbases are broken...
I have been stacking 7-8 starbases in populated sectors and I have to agree with Fried that this can get very scary in terms of the production that you can get.

Once the late game hits I can crank out battleships about 1 every 2-3 turns on my populous planets.

I think that there really needs to be some balancing on that. I've only been playing on normal level but it seems like things can get very broken quickly.
eloquence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2003, 21:45   #24
unic
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Brizey
unic:

1) Did you load an autosave? Might not have been the very last turn.
No, and there was a bug... which is now fixed in one of the patches. (Nice to have developers online on IRC - I mentioned the bug, and less than 10 minutes later, got told that it had been fixed so values would be saved correctly now, and would be part of the next update/patch)

/unic
unic is offline   Reply With Quote