Old April 1, 2003, 02:40   #91
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Local Time: 17:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
"
He punched someone once. I am willing to bet that you have punched someone before.

The two forum members who previously had "Dragon" in their names disagree for the first time that I know of! "

Ah, my apolyton memory has gone, who had Dragon in his name?

Ya, I've hit people before back when I was in school. The key thing is however that UberKrux is an adult, at which point violence becomes alot more serious matter. I have never attacked someone as an adult. He comitted a violent act against someone, he did not have justification for it, he deserves jail time.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old April 1, 2003, 02:44   #92
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 16:52
I don't think Uber deserves jailtime.

This was clearly a crime of passion.

Seriously though, it's not like Uber thought "I'm going to hit this guy" and decked him, it was more or less a "natural" defense mechanism that many people have when they feel threatened.

I'm not going to go into why Uber felt threatened, because that could get nasty.

I think Uber could open his mind and not be offensive as possible as often as possible (I seem to recall previous threads where he talked about his friends and how they all behave together).

It's no fun living life with a narrow mind and protesting those who are different.
Old April 1, 2003, 03:07   #93
Loif
Settler

Local Time: 15:52
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

Come on, dear. You can do better than that.
By the looks of things NYE, I don't think he can.
Old April 1, 2003, 03:55   #94
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

jesus ****, this thread sure did explode while i was out.

well, let's try to address as many things as i can at 3am.
[list=1][*]I talked to my uncle who talked to some of hos lawyer friends, they basically told me everyhting you told me, common sense, keep quiet and apologize. I'm sure i'll do that.[*]I am not totally a homophobe. infact, i have several gay friends, i've worked with gay people, my calc TA was gay last semester. I have no problem with who you choose to show affection to. It's when it's shoved in my face when I freak out. Not even sexual advances such as this (but believe me, this took me completely by suprise) but even public displays of affection. I'm not too fond of ANYONE (straight / gay) going at it in public, but gays just make my gut wrench when i see it. I have no problem with whatever you do in your life, I'd just like it better if you didn't present it to me. I understand you have a right to be proud of who you are, i understand you might want to screm it from the rooftops. i understand. but i'm being honest here.[*]This school is big on tolerance programs. I'm damn sure i'm going to end up in one, and i'm damn sure it's not going to do anything to help me at all, no matter how open minded i am walking in.[*]I did sock him good ozz .01/10[*]re the irony of me exiting methods of reasoning. yea, kinda funny, but i didnt exactly sit there and go "he has grasped my hand, how do i respond? i should coldly take my hand away and walk away the bigger man here". no. it was more like "i'm not gay, WHAT THE **** ARE YOU DOING? POW!".[*]was it right? no. is assault ever justified? no. do i regret what i did? no. I know i'm wrong, I know i'm not the victim, but i feel NO remorse for this. he can go to hell for all i care.[*]i did not know he was gay beforehand, but i did have assumptions.[*]He isn't the head honcho of the "Pride Alliance", infact he's not really in the "government" of it, he's just a lead organizer. He orginized the "Homo Hop" last semester (i sh*t you not, thats what they called it), which was a Dance to raise money for AIDS education.[*]ugh. this isn't going to make the 4 tests this week any easier.[/list=1]
Old April 1, 2003, 04:10   #95
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

"no. I know i'm wrong, I know i'm not the victim, but i feel NO remorse for this. he can go to hell for all i care."

But why not? You hurt another person without the justification to do so.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old April 1, 2003, 04:19   #96
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 16:52
Quote:
He orginized the "Homo Hop" last semester (i sh*t you not, thats what they called it)
They call it the "Gender Bender" here.
Old April 1, 2003, 04:57   #97
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 09:52
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

They call it the "Gender Bender" here.
They call my friend's mother that too.
But thats another story.
Old April 1, 2003, 07:51   #98
red_jon
NationStates
King

Local Time: 22:52
OK, I've lost all sympathy for Uber after that post.

I hope the university throws the book at you, and if you ask me they probably will

And it may be oversaid, but I have actually found a large number of homophobes to be gay themselves. Maybe you have some cupboard cleaning to do...
Old April 1, 2003, 08:33   #99
Richard Bruns
King

Local Time: 23:52
Hey UberKruX, I have one more piece of advice:

Never hit anybody in the face. Skull and jaw bones are quite hard, and can easily damage your hand. Also, human teeeth are incredubly septic, and you could have gotten an infection if one had broken your skin.

You should have aimed for the neck. That way you get a lot more stopping power and less risk of collateral damage.

This is a joke. Obviously I do not condone hitting people. If you were about to respond angrily, consider yourself an APRIL FOOL. :-p :-)
Old April 1, 2003, 08:51   #100
Messer Niccolò
Prince

LOL this makes me laugh!!!
C'mon go to him and say "I'm sorry". Shake his hand (please avoid sexual harassment ) and everything should be forgot.
naaaah, I can believe a charge has been opened on you and you have to contact a lawyer just for a little punch...
Ohhh my!

Now I understand why in US lawyers rule!!!
Old April 1, 2003, 08:51   #101
C0ckney
King

i would disagree, the nose is nearly always the best target, fairly easy to break and very few guys can get up straight away after having their nose broken

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old April 1, 2003, 08:52   #102
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 01:52
And also risking serious injury to the other guy? Man, why not go straight to the eyes while we're at it? Push them hard in with your both thumbs? Jeesh..
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old April 1, 2003, 08:56   #103
C0ckney
King

a broken nose isn't a serious injury

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old April 1, 2003, 08:57   #104
C0ckney
King

and besides, i'd imagine you could do a lot more damage to someone's neck than their nose.

Last edited by C0ckney; April 1, 2003 at 09:03.
Old April 1, 2003, 08:59   #105
Pekka
Emperor

C0ckney, yeah, I was referring to the neck thing, not broken nose.
Old April 1, 2003, 09:04   #106
C0ckney
King

ah ok, my bad.

Old April 1, 2003, 09:11   #107
Pekka
Emperor

HMm,, it could be quite a defense to yell 'I have AIDS! Hit me! Hit me!'
Just came my mind as someone pointed out the possibility of infections if you hit someone.
Old April 1, 2003, 09:32   #108
Cookie Monster
King

Maybe we can all learn from this. Sometimes people can get carried away and act during a time of high emotion. We are all guilty of doing things during a period of heated emotion that we regret later. The trick is learning to act after having a chance to calm down. More often than not one will act quite differently when calm.

Good luck Uber, I hope things don't get ugly for you and I hope that you've learned from this. I know that I have. I've never hit anyone unless they hit me first. I've had gay men flirt with me before and even though I'm not gay I consider it as a compliment. If you feel comfortable with yourself you can look at anyone who is coming on to you as a compliment.

True this guy grabbed your hand and violated your space but I know I would have just pulled my hand away and reminded him politely that I wasn't interested. You can always just walk away and let it go......and play Grand Theft Auto Vice City and beat up make believe people and jack their cars and rob stores and, oh sorry got carried away there. The point is find another outlet to release your anger.
Old April 1, 2003, 10:04   #109
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 18:52
Someone grabbing your hand isn't necessarily wrong. He could have been trying to be an aggressive male *****. Straights don't have a monopoly on that. He could also have been acting sincerely, and asking Uber if he really was sure.

The dude was picking up on something in Uber's behavior that led him to believe that Uber might be gay. Since many homophobes are afraid of their own sexuality, it could be that Uber isn't sure yet.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old April 1, 2003, 10:18   #110
Az
Emperor

Uber. apologize. why should it concern you? I know that being hit on buy a guy is wierd, and the "are you sure?" was uncalled for, but punching him in the nose?
Old April 1, 2003, 10:50   #111
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 19:52
Something similar to this happened to me once. I was in a theater watching "Platoon" (no kidding!) and this guy came and sat beside me. Then he started to ask me things, but I did not notice that he was gay (ok, I was 16 then). Then he asked me if he could hold my hand. I finally noticed that he was gay (doh!) and politely told him: "don't get me wrong, but I'm really not into this gay thing". He just stood up and left. I don't know what I would've done if he asked me "are you sure?", but I'm almost certain that I would not punch him in the face, I'm not a violent person.
Old April 1, 2003, 10:58   #112
Spec
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Thoth
Have the guy you punched charged with sexual harrasment.

Good! Good answer!

Spec
Old April 1, 2003, 11:07   #113
Daz
Prince

Crap. Where is this world going to...?

The man is right. Sue him before he sues you!

He should know better than grabbing a mans hand
NO means NO.

Cant help it. its so damn funny........
Attached Images:

Old April 1, 2003, 11:21   #114
Az
Emperor

holy crap, that's an ugly smiley, Daz.
Old April 1, 2003, 11:38   #115
Ozz
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX [*]I did sock him good ozz .01/10
Go for a legal trial, don't let some university gay PC kangaroo court hang a resume smear on you. If you
get off in a court of law, (and with the right jury, you
will) the university can't smear you, if they do, you can sue their ass but good.

BTW as far as I'm concerned, you were assaulted. I
would have decked the F'ck er too.
Old April 1, 2003, 12:00   #116
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

All these people here saying what you did is wrong are thinking you hit him because he was gay.

Lets keep the premace the same, but change some of the "details".

Lets say Uber was a girl (come on, I know you want to say it)
And this guy was straight.

He goes up to the Ubergirl (hmmmm...) and says something like "Hey, you wanna go catch a drink in the lounge?"
Ubergirl says "No."
guy grabs Ubergirls hand and says "You sure?"
Ubergirl turns and smacks him.

Who's the victem? In Ubers version, alot of you say the guy. In the example I just gave, the majority of you would probably say the Ubergirl and also say that she was justified in doing this. What is the difference!?!?!?
Old April 1, 2003, 12:09   #117
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 00:52
I also think that both were wrong. Uber over reacted, but the gay guy was obviously stepping over the line.

While I don't approve of what uber has done, I think no means no.
Old April 1, 2003, 12:13   #118
nationalist
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by red_jon
And it may be oversaid, but I have actually found a large number of homophobes to be gay themselves. Maybe you have some cupboard cleaning to do...
Standard gay claim. I highly doubt that that is true. I bet that most straight men are "homophobes" (terrible term) to some extent. Just because you have a prejudice, it doesn't mean that you are fighting against that prejudice inside yourself.

That's the same as claiming that most white racists are actually black deep down inside.
"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796
Old April 1, 2003, 12:22   #119
Worthingtons
Prince

Ok, I'll be diplomatic with my language for Asher's sake.

Anyway, the reason why I, and probably so many other's are defending Uber is to do with the fact I know he will be charged for a crime far more serious than it actually was. I can sympathise with Uber because I can imagine the kind of group the other kid belonged to, because some homosexual’s are so conscious about themselves they will go to any length to pass off their behaviour as normal (Yes, I know the flames will come for this, and I'm not saying 'normality' is a goal we should strive for anyway, but homosexuality doesn’t really fit in the normal category) and these such people will go to any length to satisfy their aim. The kid will now seek to make an example out of uber, if they throw the book at uber then the kid will feel that HE is the normal one and that it's acceptable to make advances on other guy's. In a way this is simply enforcing one's ideology on others - something most contradictory lefties make a living out of.

I post on another forum which I run, and there's a guy there who has recently just 'come out' to being bisexual. Instead of desperately trying to pass this off as the norm and condemning non-acceptance he acknowledges the different levels of acceptance in society, and when approaching guys takes a different stance; instead of being direct and arrogantly assuming the other person accepts you're views, seeks to discover their orientation and perceptions towards homosexuality before making an approach, this kind of attitude will help him not only avoid violent rejections but offending other people like uber who need not be approached.
Old April 1, 2003, 12:23   #120
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

I think that if you apologise that there is an implicit admonision of guilt unless you phrase it 'just right'. You may be facing civil or criminal charges in the future so you have to decide the value of an apology that may allow you to avoid the repurcussions altogether but which may act against you in court at a later date.

If he grabbed your hand (and there are witnesses to that) you may have a hope of a defense but my advice is to seek real legal advice.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.