Old April 2, 2003, 20:36   #31
Jarvin
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I think everyone agrees that Bismark should be the main leader of Germany, he's one of the best choices of main leaders in the game.

I was arguing that Rommel should have been included as great leader.
Old April 2, 2003, 20:54   #32
nationalist
Warlord

Local Time: 17:53
I agree with you also, Jarvin.
"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796
Old April 2, 2003, 21:04   #33
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:53
come on people, just open the editor, add Rommel, Guderian, Manstein, etc etc etc. it's really that easy

Funny but the Aztecs are the civ with the most leaders even though most people have no clue who they were (and to tell you the truth, even my Mexican self didn't know who some of them were...)

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old April 2, 2003, 21:10   #34
nationalist
Warlord

I know that you can edit them, I just wanted to point it out, and I wanted to see if anyone else noticed other odd tidbits (such as your Aztec example. Very interesting I have only ever heard of Monteczuma)
"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796
Old April 3, 2003, 00:56   #35
molly bloom
King

Local Time: 08:53
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by nationalist
I think that Cleopatra and Joan were horrible choices. Joan never actually led France. Cleopatra was a Greek descendent who ruled thousands of years after Egypt had reached the peek of its power.
Kleopatra was born in Egypt- saying that she was descended from the Greek Ptolemaic line is like pointing out George Washington's family came from England.

She was the first of the Ptolemies to learn the language of the Egyptians, she was exceptionally learned and well read, she managed to defeat her half sister, her brother and identified herself closely with the cult of Isis.

Frankly, if you wanted a better female leader of Egypt, the only choice you'd make would be Hatshepsut- and not many people are aware of her reign.

For the choices of leaders to be 'p.c.' it would mean that the game makers envisaged a large market for female leaders and were anxious to either placate or not offend people with those expectations . I doubt that this was the case at all.

As for Catherine the Great- there is a reason she's called the Great. Comparing her reign to Peter's would reveal the extent to which Russia modernized under Catherine and grew- Peter opened a window on the West, Catherine enlarged it to landscape size.

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03
Old April 3, 2003, 02:34   #36
Merc
Settler

Local Time: 15:53
Well, wouldn't you agree making Cleopatra black was pretty pc atleast?
Old April 3, 2003, 04:25   #37
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Merc
Well, wouldn't you agree making Cleopatra black was pretty pc atleast?
Yep. At this rate in about 200 years the catholic church might put jesus a little browner too...

Joan of Arc I think was a poor choice since she never ruled over France and I think that's the distinction between having a ruler and a great leader (who were usually military or lesser political heroes). Considering that France has produced leaders with the stature of Louis XIV and Napoleon.

Catherine the Great was a good choice, plus she looks like my grandmother I still miss Civ1's Stalin with his despotism henchmen in the background though...

I would have also switched Elizabeth for Victoria.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old April 3, 2003, 06:06   #38
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 23:53
There were many better german generals in WW2 than Rommell. He was overated. Manstein would be a better choice.
Old April 3, 2003, 11:13   #39
optimus2861
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Jarvin
I believe Rommel was more loyal to Germany than he was to the nazis, thats why he tried to kill Hitler when the war turned bad.
Rommel wasn't an active participant in the 7/20/44 assissination attempt. He'd been approached by the conspirators, decided not to join, but didn't inform Hitler of it. That's why Hitler told him to kill himself or watch his family die.

I've been reading a novel called Fox at the Front recently, which takes an alternate history track: Hitler is in fact killed on 7/20/44, Himmler takes over Germany, concludes an armisitice with the Soviet Union, and Rommel is returned to active command of the western front after recovering from his wounds suffered in an Allied air raid on 7/17/44. I'm not finished it yet, but I think I'd still recommend it. Kind of scary to see how formidable Nazi Germany could have been with competent leadership.
"If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown
Old April 3, 2003, 11:19   #40
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Himmler would have been a worse leader than Hitler.
Old April 4, 2003, 00:48   #41
pedrojedi
Prince

Local Time: 19:53
Quote:
I'm undecided about Isabella, but I feel about the same way towards her as I do towards Cat.
Well, Isabella was the Queen who patronized the travels of Columbus to America, wasn't she? That's a fundamental reason of her being a leader. Well, her reign also endured for a pretty long time, since she got to the throne with what? 7-8 years old, perhaps a little more or less. She did a decent job.
Old April 4, 2003, 06:30   #42
Wazell
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:53
Quote:
Well, Isabella was the Queen who patronized the travels of Columbus to America, wasn't she? That's a fundamental reason of her being a leader. Well, her reign also endured for a pretty long time, since she got to the throne with what? 7-8 years old, perhaps a little more or less. She did a decent job.
And not to mention that Isabella is very probably the first one that comes to mind when naming Spanish leaders. Generally Firaxis did quite good job when choosing personalities to represent civilizations.

Not as good with great leaders, though. But, in the end they're so trivial in Civ3 that it doesn't really make a difference. After all, when you get a GL, it goes straight away in exchange for production. It's kind of pointless to argue their names and all that, because they currently don't have any individual attributes and are all used for the same purpose. And when you can get 30 or 40 GLs during a good all-out-war game, you're bound to see Barbarossa appear like at 500 BC, again at 200 AD, then 400AD and so on, no matter how many leaders are listed there. I wouldn't mind even if there was only one military leader, named Generic.
Old April 4, 2003, 10:39   #43
pedrojedi
Prince

Heh, Generic Great Leader would sound like a soldier that can be found in the local stores. What about Common?

All my leaders are Pedro Jedi. After all, he was a great figure at all times for all civilizations.

Yeah, I'm so modest!
Old April 4, 2003, 14:24   #44
Rommel2D
staff
Civilization III PBEMIron Civers

The point about Rommel is that he tried to be a good soldier until it became appearant that the Fu"hrer was a few fighters short of a squadron in the kopf, then he tried to be an assassin, but failed at that. His tragic fate was all but sealed when he agreed to support Hitler. Was he someone who could have gone to Berlin and rushed the Manhattan Project for Germany?
Old April 4, 2003, 14:31   #45
Rommel2D
staff
Civilization III PBEMIron Civers

How about Area Man and Area Woman? Their heroic efforts make the papers around here all the time. :-)
Old April 4, 2003, 14:40   #46
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Napoleon == Coolest French guy ever.

Glad they kept Bismarck. What were the alternatives though? There's no way they'd put Hitler in. Kaiser II is a stretch. I could see Frederick II though.

Yes, the lists could use some work. I think that may be more of a general lack of information than PC, though PC runs rampant among the national leaders...

Bring back Napoleon!!!
Old April 4, 2003, 15:46   #47
Master Zen
Deity

Bring back Stalin and his despotism goon-squad from Civ1!!!

whenever I think of the phrase MY WORDS ARE BACKED BY NUCLEAR WEAPONS I think of that image from times of yore....

Old April 4, 2003, 15:53   #48
Qilue
King

Local Time: 08:53
Comments.
German GL, what about Admiral Doernitz. (He commanded the u-boat fleet during ww2 for those unfamiliar with the name)

Boudicea would have been a far better choice for the Celt leader, or failing that, a celt GL.

English GLs,
John Churchill, Duke of Marlborough (perhaps England's greatest general)
Willian Slim, commanded the 14th Army from a humiliating defeat in Burma to deal Japan it's worst land defeat of ww2.

French GLs,
Henri de la d'Auvergne, Vicomte de Turenne
As far as De Gaulle is concerned, a quote from Winston churchill. "He has a head like a pineapple and hips like a woman."
Old April 4, 2003, 16:33   #49
Alex
Emperor

I agree with Wazell. Arguing about GLs is pointless, they just appear in the game for a brief moment before they are exchanged for some production. "Oh, but what about the historical flavor?". Hm... Cleopatra living 6000 years, anyone?
Old April 4, 2003, 18:04   #50
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexnm
I agree with Wazell. Arguing about GLs is pointless, they just appear in the game for a brief moment before they are exchanged for some production. "Oh, but what about the historical flavor?". Hm... Cleopatra living 6000 years, anyone?
Well it'd be even more of a laugh seeing Genghis Khan in 2003 with a suit and tie in the floor of the UN General Assembly ranting something barely legible like "me kill babies, rape women then eat your corn flakes!!"

Old April 6, 2003, 14:58   #51
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

I hate it when people say that Hitler should be the German leader, and anyone who says something else is trying to be politically correct. Hitler screwed things up big time. He got his country conquered. Some people have become so anti-PC that their judgement is obscured. It's really silly. However, the TR generals, Rommel in particular, were very strong. They should be included.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old April 6, 2003, 15:17   #52
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaguar Warrior
I hate it when people say that Hitler should be the German leader, and anyone who says something else is trying to be politically correct. Hitler screwed things up big time. He got his country conquered. Some people have become so anti-PC that their judgement is obscured. It's really silly. However, the TR generals, Rommel in particular, were very strong. They should be included.
No more than some PC extreme people have too. You cannot deny that no other man caused as much impact in the world during the last 100 years. Napoleon got his country conquered too so under that standard neither would be apt.

The only reason I believe Hitler should NOT be the German leader is because I think it is unfair to the German people and their history that such a racist bigot represent them. However, for his leadership abilities and his impact on German and world history, he is defenitely suitable though I still think Bismark or Fredrick are the better choices.

Old April 6, 2003, 15:52   #53
epics
Warlord

WOW Master Zen !!! When did you change the .jpg??
Old April 6, 2003, 16:02   #54
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by epics
WOW Master Zen !!! When did you change the .jpg??
5 minutes ago...

BTW, I would have loved to see Beowulf as a leader

Old April 6, 2003, 16:56   #55
pedrojedi
Prince

Master Zen uses his zen technics to change his appearance at will.

edit: I can't type that well