Old April 1, 2003, 07:24   #1
connorkimbro
Emperor

Local Time: 16:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
the way media reports the news
Only a fool would say that ANY media organization is unbiased.

This is not an iraq thread. it just happens that my example of differences in the way media reports is an iraq news item.

recently, there was a bombing at one of the us military "checkpoints". some news agencies call it a "suicide bombing" which is what that act is USUALLY called. a person wearing bombs blows himself up, along with whatever is around him. however, since this happened, Fox News is calling it a "homicide bombing" . . . it's the first time i've ever heard it termed that.

what do you think their point is, in calling it something different? i've my own ideas, i just wanted to submit my observations for discussion.

-theonion.com
Old April 1, 2003, 07:35   #2
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 23:53
Homicide bombing makes it more obvious that it was intended to kill others, whereas suicide bombing places the emphasis on the fact that the perpetrator takes their own life at the same time.

It sounds like a case of Fox playing to the audience, which is hardly suprising.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old April 1, 2003, 07:39   #3
connorkimbro
Emperor

has there ever been a suicide bomber that hasn't tried to kill others?

i think that fox uses the word "homicide" to make it sound more terrible, more illegal, more like terrorism, to give it a much more negative spin.

-theonion.com
Old April 1, 2003, 08:00   #4
red_jon
NationStates
King

Local Time: 22:53
I get Fox news and it really is bull. CNN and BBC are more middle-of the road, but I prefer ITN (to me it seems to be the most unbiased).
Old April 1, 2003, 08:03   #5
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 00:53
Local Date: November 2, 2010
this isnt new. "homicide bombing" has started being used by some media the last 1-2 years, usually in relation to incidents in Israel.

it's supposed to be a "more accurate" term.....
Old April 1, 2003, 08:32   #6
Lincoln
King

We are essentially in a propaganda war. Each news source is trying to influence public perception. I guess that many fall for the subtle inferrences or they wouldn't do it. NPR (national public radio) for example after giving a so called ballanced view of an event ends almost every story with a negative comment about Bush or the current war effort. For example: "The American forces obtained a stunning victory today with very few casualities. Now the administration has to figure out what to do with the prisoners. This has been a continuing problem that apparently was not forseen bla bla bla..."
Old April 1, 2003, 08:36   #7
Plan Austral
Spanish Civers
King

Location: Poster Formerly known as Kublai-Khan. Buenos Aires - Argentina.
Something funny and pathetic about cnn is what cnn en español (cnn in Spanish) is doing.
When Saddam or Bush give a speech they translate it, What is funny is that the voice of the man who makes the dubbing for Bush sounds like a (good guy) but the voice of the man who makes the dubbing for Saddam sounds like an arab Satan...
Periodista : A proposito del escudo de la fe, Elisa, a mí me sorprendía Reutemann diciendo que estaba dispuesto a enfrentarse con el mismísimo demonio (Menem) y después terminó bajándose de la candidatura. Ahí parece que fuera ganando el demonio.

Elisa Carrio: No, porque si usted lee bien el Génesis dice que la mujer pisará la serpiente.
Old April 1, 2003, 08:56   #8
Lincoln
King

That is funny. I never thought of that but I guess it could be quite effective.
Old April 1, 2003, 09:52   #9
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

The guy who used to do the dubbing over Gerry Adams' voice on the BBC (when that stupid policy was still in force) sounded rather evil IIRC.

I always thought they should get a jolly Jamaican woman to do the dubbing or something, that would have been hilarious.
Old April 1, 2003, 09:58   #10
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 00:53
Most of the tv news coverage looks like an attempt to bore people to death (maybe it is intendet - psy ops )

Ok, to be fair, it is difficult to cover a war when there are not much info available, and when most of those available from official side are probably propaganda.

However, I still don´t understand why most tv stations concentrate so much on the Iraq war that they rather repeat the same stuff over and over again than bringing more other news. In extreme cases you see the very same report two or three times within only 20-30 minutes! I may be wrong, but I can´t imagine that this brings higher ratings.

It seems to have changed a little bit during the last days, esp. on CNN, where they had a complete 24h coverage of the war at the beginning. Meanwhile they also have other news more often....

The funnier things are those info from the Iraqi side. The rhetorics coming out of their Ministry of Information is always amusing
Old April 1, 2003, 10:02   #11
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 15:53
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
this isnt new. "homicide bombing" has started being used by some media the last 1-2 years, usually in relation to incidents in Israel.

it's supposed to be a "more accurate" term.....
Yes. I too remember this term being applied to bombings in Israel.

Fox is the most biased of the U.S. networks, a self-appointed ex-officio press office for the White House. But I tend to watch a lot of it because they have more stories and more in depth stories than the other networks.
Old April 1, 2003, 10:02   #12
red_jon
NationStates
King

[QUOTE] Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
I always thought they should get a jolly Jamaican woman to do the dubbing or something, that would have been hilarious. [/QUOTE

Old April 1, 2003, 11:21   #13
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:53
The "homicide bomber" term is remarkably stupid since its completely redundant and removed an important qualifier that lets us know if its a bomber like the Unabomber or some idiot with a bomb strapped to his chest.
Old April 1, 2003, 11:29   #14
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 18:53
Fox is shite. CNN is slightly better smelling shite. BBC is ok. I do like ITN, when I can find it.

Print media, IMO, is far superior in quality. The whole "24 hr news - all Iraq, all the time" style the TV news outfits have gone to is out of control.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 1, 2003, 11:32   #15
GePap
Emperor

Every type of bomb is a "homicide bomb". That's what bombs are for.

Places like Fox have started to use that term because they think saying "suicide bombing" places too much emphasis on the subject (the bomber) and not the objects (the victims) of the act, and thus somehow distorts the morlity of the event. The problem is that what makes a suicide bombing notable is not that people are killed but that someone was willing to kill themselves; it is that feature of suicide atatcks that makes them more frightening in the first place.

As for why make a change in general..well, that is obvious: to shift the frame of reference and thus change the perception of an act. Coolateral damage sounds so nice and antiseptic: how could we doubt that in war, such techinical mistakes are bound to happen? The very name Terrorist is one of the most efefctive weapons any government has: name your opponetsn terrorists. Invariably that not only brings harsh condemnation of their tactics but is also designed to undermine support for whatever political cause the groups aims to achieve. After all, terrorist only exist to bring terror: they have no other aims.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old April 1, 2003, 11:33   #16
spiritof1202
Settler

A suicide bombing is one which a terrorist stands in the desert away from anyone else and blows himself up.

A homicide bombing is one in which he seeks 'enemy company' in the same basic enterprise.