Old April 1, 2003, 15:18   #1
muzzy
Settler

Local Time: 22:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
question about starbases
I've looked around some (maybe not in the right places) and was curious if you build 2 starbases in the same sector, whether or not both of their production/ship/yada yada bonus are combined. If so that might be something worth exploiting
muzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2003, 16:48   #2
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

I heard rumor that multiple bases stack. I've noticed a definite advantage placing more than one culturally dominant starbase in a sector, although I don't have the numbers to quantify it.
Harry Seldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2003, 19:24   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 18:55
You are allowed to make a SB any place. I would not put one near another as it is best to upgrade teh existing SB. Just send as many constructors as you can and upgrade the SB to get the benefits.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2003, 03:46   #4
BlueDEvil
Chieftain

If you have many planets in that sector, multiple starbases can turn those planets into very fast ship builders. It would be worth investing if there are many colonies in that sector.
BlueDEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2003, 11:36   #5
Malleus
NationStates
Warlord

Local Time: 14:55
It is good policy to build multiple starbases in one sector if there is a specific benefit you desire.

I built three starbases with culture palaces (and all other culture upgrades) in one sector and had the entire sector defect to me quickly.

Then I upgraded all of them with production upgrades and was producing constructors every 2 turns from each planet.

M

President of the nation of Riis in W3's SimCountry.
Malleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2003, 11:43   #6
Fried-Psitalon
Civilization IV: MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC4DG Sarantium
Official Civilization IV Strategy Guide Co-Author

Local Time: 17:55
Yep, they definitely stack. Had a manufacturing capital/Hyperion Thingumitz city with 3 starbases giving 80 percent bonuses. Zoom! I'm actually wondering if they shouldn't change that.... starbase stacking can get awfully powerful, to the point where you can push out a constructor every turn.
Fried-Psitalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2003, 13:22   #7
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 00:55
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Perhaps starbases are meant to counter the income problems in the late game, ie. 5 bases per sector or something.
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Lemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2003, 13:26   #8
Fried-Psitalon
Civilization IV: MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC4DG Sarantium

That's possible. If you can run all your trade through one or two sectors and get 5 star bases in each one, all with the "increase trade route bonus" modules in them....

Old April 11, 2003, 01:03   #9
Brizey
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

The draw back to lots of starbases is defending lots of starbases, especially later in the game when everyone moves fast. Once all the ships can move abotu a sector per month, you have to defend every starbase equally. If you grow to depend on them too much, a well executed starbase sweep attack will cripple you for good. All those bonuses will be gone, and you won't be able to support your bloated economy anymore. Your adversaries can just set back and watch you choke on your own expenses. Your production bonuses will be gone, and if you get to the -500 bc level, the game would basically be over.
Old April 11, 2003, 01:37   #10
Pyrkaige
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:55
I've found that 3 starbases in your primary building sectors are definitely a huge help overall; most bonuses do stack, apart from a few military ones. Ideally, your trade ships will be going through those sectors as well, so you'll be getting money from those trade bonuses.

If you have a lot of starbases near your planets, it's not hard to defend them, since that's where you're making the ships anyway. It's the starbases out in the middle of nowhere that are sitting on a resource that are hard to defend. In that case, though, sending out enough constructors to boost the defense tends to take care of most ships that would annoy you.

Starbases are definitely a must, especially at higher skill levels. Having them in every planet sector isn't really needed, though, and since most improved production ends up costing more, you rarely have enough cash to sustain that sort of development anyway.
Pyrkaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2003, 01:39   #11
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 08:55
starbases are excellent

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Alexander's Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2003, 08:40   #12
Fried-Psitalon

Erm....actually, half of your starbase production is sheer 'bonus' value, not costing you anything. That's the unfortunate problem with starbases right now- if you "Superstuff" a sector with starbases you can get ...heck, I've gotten five and six HUNDRED free, bonus production before. Yes, I'm paying for the other half of that, but I'm also popping dreadnoughts at 1-3 turns per, depending on the planet in that system.

Starbases need to be capped to max-3 per sector or something; the insane things you can do with too many starbases is just crazy. Right now, I have a significant tech lead in my "All Bright AI" game and I'm widening it effortlessly because anytime a new trade good comes up, 3 turns later I own it. I'm just really glad trade enhancements only work 1 starbase per sector.... can you imagine getting, say, a 300 percent increase on all trades coming through a sector, and having your freighters all departing from the same sector?

Old April 13, 2003, 13:38   #13
starfox
Settler

But if you have a starbase in an empty square with no planet inside, and one of your planet happens to be just in the next square. Even if they are very close, just separated but one line, can you get base bonus or not?

Because it happens a lot to me
starfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2003, 18:34   #14
Pyrkaige
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:55
Nothing on a starbase goes over the sector border except influence/culture. All other benefits only affect planets or ships within the sector where the starbase is built. Of cousre, if a trade route goes through that sector building trade bonuses will help increase the amount, as well.
Pyrkaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2003, 13:41   #15
LDiCesare
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 00:55
Did one of you see an ai interested in (diplomacy-wise or militarily) a starbase which was built not on a resource and not in one of their sectors? Like in a neighbouring sector you use to build up your culture?
LDiCesare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2003, 14:27   #16
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

As far as building one themselves or asking you for one? I'm pretty sure I've been asked to turn one over that I was stacking with culture before. I want to say I've seen an AI starbase built off-resource but I'm not sure that's correct. If I can find a save game with one I'll try to upload it.
Harry Seldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2003, 15:04   #17
Fried-Psitalon

I have definitely seen the AI use starbases withour resources tied to them- the Arceans tried to culture bomb me once- I saw a freight train of Constructors going by...never thought anything of it....

four turns later I found four HUGE, complete starbases culturally maxed out in a sectory directly adjacent to three of my own!

My dreadnoughts got some exercise.