View Poll Results: Which Version of Civ3:Play the World shall we use?
v1.14f 12 34.29%
v1.21f 20 57.14%
Banana (abstain/don't care) 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 1, 2003, 21:24   #1
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 10:56
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Run-off poll: What version will we play with?
This is coming from the first version poll, to decide which version of Civ3 we will be playing with. In that poll, the options for PtW versions 1.14f and 1.21f polled very close, with 40+ % of the total vote going to each.

Thus we have decided to play with the Play the World add-on to Civ3. The only question is which version of PtW? It is preferred if you vote for which option you yourself can play with so we know how many don't have v1.21f yet.

You have 5 days to vote for v1.21f, v1.14f or abstain (you don't mind/don't have either!).

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old April 2, 2003, 05:43   #2
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 16:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The answer should depend on when the game starts, and when Infogrames decides to release 1.21f to the rest of the world; and how many current players don't have 1.21f.

I see where Italian and German patch versions are in the development stage, but how soon before they are actually available is unknown.
Old April 2, 2003, 11:59   #3
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 17:56
i said 1.21 because 1.14 was bugged to varying degrees.

if the euros really have a problem with it though, i'll change my vote.
Old April 2, 2003, 17:19   #4
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 18:56
1.21, because that is what I have, but no strong preference either way.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old April 3, 2003, 19:29   #5
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

I think we should let the Great Banana decide.
Old April 3, 2003, 21:20   #6
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

The problem is that the US 1.21f patch is the only 1.21f patch available currently for PtW; and it is not known how soon the non US patches will be out.

This is unfair to any non US players if we go with the 1.21f patch before it is available to the Rest of the World.
Old April 3, 2003, 21:36   #7
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Yes I know, that's why this poll was placed here. It was called into doubt whether people were voting for 1.14 because they didn't have 1.21, but instead they thought that OTHERS didn't have 1.21. This poll is intended for us to gauge what amount of the population actually can't open the save for the early goings.

Old April 4, 2003, 13:18   #8
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 00:56
1.14 at start, when 1.21 is worldwide we should go with it.
Old April 4, 2003, 13:59   #9
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos
1.14 at start, when 1.21 is worldwide we should go with it.
firaxis has stated multiple times that changing versions mid game causes issues.
Old April 4, 2003, 14:27   #10
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
firaxis has stated multiple times that changing versions mid game causes issues.
Yes... you are right about that... At least if the savefile structure changes a lot (i.e data/setting added) when all new values will either default to a default value (or worse: default to what ever is in the memory by the time.) However, by the readme for 1.21f it seems as most changes are issues related to Multiplayer, and an upgrade would probably not affect a single player game mush. However, I'm not sure if any rules are changed in 1.21f. If that's the case we could play with 1.21f rules (i.e recreate thm for 1.14f)
Old April 6, 2003, 20:24   #11
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

have a nice day
Old April 7, 2003, 23:38   #12
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Poll is done and the result is clear. Version 1.21f has been voted to be used. Can anyone not participate due to this?

Old April 9, 2003, 13:40   #13
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Since this poll directed voters to indicate availability rather than choice, it sure looks like 40% of the responders cannot get v1.21

Hence it is clear, v1.14 must be used to maximize player support
Old April 9, 2003, 16:09   #14
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

since the Q is going to be asked sooner or later anyway ; shall we upgrade to the new patch is one comes out , ......

have a nice day
Old April 10, 2003, 01:22   #15
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

I'd imagine not immediately, unless there is another big change/fix like the Scientific overhaul.
Old April 10, 2003, 17:18   #16
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kloreep
I'd imagine not immediately, unless there is another big change/fix like the Scientific overhaul.
hi ,

there is a rumour ( note rumour ) that a new patch is to come out within a couple weeks , ......

have a nice day
Old April 10, 2003, 18:08   #17
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

there is a rumour ( note rumour ) that a new patch is to come out within a couple weeks , ......

have a nice day
they're going to make a new US path before the euros are brought up to date? that makes no sense...

what rumors?
Old April 10, 2003, 18:15   #18
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

they're going to make a new US path before the euros are brought up to date? that makes no sense...

what rumors?

hi ,

it comes from the same source that revealed the other patch , ....

so , who knows , .....

agreed you bring up a valid point , but why not make then a higher patch at ones for those still missing ( versions )

who knows , gamespy is going to look in it , we shall see if its true or not in a while

have a nice day "my hero"
Old April 12, 2003, 01:02   #19
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by roadcage
Since this poll directed voters to indicate availability rather than choice, it sure looks like 40% of the responders cannot get v1.21

Hence it is clear, v1.14 must be used to maximize player support
I agree. Sorry to those who want to start with v1.21, but since it would exclude so many from participating, we start with something all of those who voted can do.

v1.14f it is.

Old April 14, 2003, 03:10   #20
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 23:56
I =still= have not heard from anyone not being able to play 1.21 because he's still running 1.14...
Old April 14, 2003, 03:15   #21
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:56
Quote:
Originally posted by BigFurryMonster
I =still= have not heard from anyone not being able to play 1.21 because he's still running 1.14...
BFM is exactly correct, we can play with 1.21 since we don't have to send the turn to anyone, the same people who play the turn should have the same version, but that would be the only restriction,unless have "official's" who don't have 1.21.....???

Official's in the future would also have to have 1.21 since it is only foward compatable.
Old April 14, 2003, 03:21   #22
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 23:56
I put up a separate thread asking for people who cannot play 1.21 to step forward.
Old April 14, 2003, 16:27   #23
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFurryMonster

hi ,

anyone who can post here can get the patch , .....

why on earth would people keep 1.14 , ....

have a nice day
Old April 14, 2003, 17:15   #24
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

anyone who can post here can get the patch , .....

why on earth would people keep 1.14 , ....

have a nice day
there is only an US version, dear panag. those people with non-US versions of PTW (including ENGLISH versions) cannot patch.

in theory, however, no one needs the sav. ministers (at leat caring ones like myself) post images of their major lpans / maps.

if the need be, i'd be willing to change my vote to 1.14 for the good of the people.
Old April 14, 2003, 19:03   #25
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

there is only an US version, dear panag. those people with non-US versions of PTW (including ENGLISH versions) cannot patch.

in theory, however, no one needs the sav. ministers (at leat caring ones like myself) post images of their major lpans / maps.

if the need be, i'd be willing to change my vote to 1.14 for the good of the people.

hi ,

for one or the other reason , since no-one commented on it , every one here must have the US english version , .....

well , if there shall be detailed reports with images others can enjoy this game also ( who dont have the US version ) , lets hope that does it

have a nice day