Old April 15, 2003, 23:28   #61
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 23:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1

Please no events. Anyway we have one, global warming.
I hate events that you have no control over them, they just happen.
How about optional events? I mean, there's been a few Civs that have suffered, if not perished, due to volcanoes, earthquakes, famines, floods etc. Plus, of course, they happen to your opponents too... And volcanoes give some very fertile soil (food from mountains - yippee!)

As for global warming - PLANT MORE TREES!!!
Old April 15, 2003, 23:45   #62
pedrojedi
Prince

Local Time: 19:57
That's my solution to world's warming problem... the modded floresting tank, a destroying machine that pillage and then plant forest, preserving the nature and getting the terrain cleaned of those enemy civ's corruptious touch.
Old April 16, 2003, 04:10   #63
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 00:57
Local Date: November 2, 2010
1. Fascism, Fundamentalism and Theocracy should be added.
2. WoW videos as Wittlich said.
3. More advanced espionage.
Old April 16, 2003, 08:43   #64
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

...and one more thing:

I'd like more different happiness... there should be at least 5 different: Happy, moderate happy, content, moderate unhappy, unhappy (is moderate the right word here?)...
Old April 16, 2003, 10:39   #65
pedrojedi
Prince

Maybe a better naming would be:

- Enthusiastic
- Happy
- Content
- Unhappy
- Sad or depressed
- Raging furious constipated citizen

edit: "or depressed"
Old April 16, 2003, 10:46   #66
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Sounds better
Old April 16, 2003, 17:02   #67
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 17:57
aren't three threads by the same person for the list overkill? (read: spam)

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=82420
Old April 16, 2003, 18:58   #68
pedrojedi
Prince

You should notice, however, that it was not the same guy who started the thread, there are some very different opinions and even the population does not seem to be "the same".
Old April 16, 2003, 22:52   #69
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 16:57
YES!!! We really should have a way to reverse Global Warming by planting Forest/Jungle! Say, every 4 Forest can turn back 1 Pollution (Hey, this stuff takes time) and 2 Jungle can turn back 1 Pollution.

Or as another way to prevent the massive Junglechopping, tiles can lose thier future resources once they are chopped away and hauled off to the lumber factory.
Old April 16, 2003, 23:29   #70
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

If I had a dime for every suggestion thread...

1) Combat system of Panzer General

2) 3-D hex spherical world, kinda like a giant soccer ball

3) irrigation and farmland

4) unit-creation workshop like in SMAC

5) resources are more abundant but more are required to maitain units (i.e. may tiles have oil, but one oil only maitains say 10 units)

6) Real transprotation network, where connecting cities nets more $$, transportation also doesn't increase tile production so you don't have to add roads and railroads to every tile, just to connect cities.

7) Public works system like CtP

8) Penalty for hacking jungles and chopping forests

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old April 17, 2003, 00:09   #71
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 18:57
Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen
If I had a dime for every suggestion thread...

Th best combat system for a turn based game I have ever seen, but doutful it could be implemented with the huge disparity between units of CIV 3.

Quote:
Hex spherical world, kinda like a giant soccer ball
Oh, the resources! Will the next generation of computers be able to handle this? Might have to wait for CIV 5, perhaps CIV 6!

Quote:
3) irrigation and farmland
Yes, a much needed implementation!

Quote:
4) unit-creation workshop like in SMAC
Will it still feel like a civ game with this? Firaxis probably already attempted this and felt it was not in keepng with the CIV tradition, not to mention the different names of units!

Quote:
5) resources are more abundant but more are required to maitain units (i.e. may tiles have oil, but one oil only maitains say 10 units)
agreed, also the size of the resource should be variable (you could have a very large oil deposit or a small oil deposit with several levels in between)

Quote:
6) Real transprotation network, where connecting cities nets more $$, transportation also doesn't increase tile production so you don't have to add roads and railroads to every tile, just to connect cities.
People will still RR everything, as their will be no reason not to! Just have them pay a maintenance cost (1g/10 tiles)

Quote:
Agreed

Quote:
Should be tied more closely to GW.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old April 17, 2003, 01:33   #72
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Do this and I won't buy it.

Quote:
This is a good idea. We should also be able to fight again pollution/desertification by planting forests and by signing pollution reduction treaties and/or embargos against big polluters.
--Woody Allen
Old April 17, 2003, 02:09   #73
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

9) Customizable governments (another SMAC idea)

I honestly think the PG combat system is so simple that it can work in a Civ style game. Or rather, imagine Panzer General with growing cities

IMO the combat system is the weakest link the Civ series. With a PG system, a simple yet respectable system could make the game just peeerfect.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old April 17, 2003, 02:34   #74
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 17:57
Quote:
Originally posted by pedrojedi
You should notice, however, that it was not the same guy who started the thread,
/me thinks you should check the name of the thread starter again

because it was just one person
Old April 17, 2003, 03:13   #75
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:

In that case we have to include all units too.

Panzer General
Old April 17, 2003, 05:22   #76
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius
Quote:

Do this and I won't buy it.
Agree... DO NOT... I repeat... DO NOT include the Peoples War, ehmm... I mean Public Works system in Civ4... This was the worst thing in ctp

...if it wasn't because of this, then ctp would have been a real decent game actually... even all the bugs in the game, are not as bad as the pw system... that means: all bugs counted together...
Old April 17, 2003, 17:04   #77
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Ok...you should put duct tape into the interface somehow (you figure it out ), and extensive bug-testing, documentation, and fixing, (patches , and...uh...carpenter ... WONDER MOVIES!!! ...

Events? Like whut? How predictable? How damaging? Yes, they are indeed realistic - but would they capsize the game?
Old April 17, 2003, 17:29   #78
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

About the Wonder Movies issue:

Yes, Wonder Movies are great, but I read somewhere, it took about a month for each Wonder Movie to be made... I'd prefer them to use those resources on making the game bug-free instead
Old April 17, 2003, 17:58   #79
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 15:57
Quote:
Yes, Wonder Movies are great, but I read somewhere, it took about a month for each Wonder Movie to be made... I'd prefer them to use those resources on making the game bug-free instead
CTP2 has wonder movies. I like them. But I find after a few games I quickly escape out of them to get on with business. I think the Wonder Panels, or whatever they are called (what are they called?), are good enough.
Old April 17, 2003, 18:11   #80
Master Zen
Deity

So you all prefer to move 50+ workers in one turn??

boooooooring....

Old April 18, 2003, 04:48   #81
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Re: PW

Managing workers in the early turns is fun for me.

By the time I have 50 workers, I automate them with Ctrl-A and keep only a few under my direct control. (for more sensitive jobs).

Anyway, it's a question of personal taste and preferences. In my case, a definitive and ferm: NO to PW.
--Woody Allen
Old April 18, 2003, 08:57   #82
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

The following is rather a suggestion for the next XP than for Civ4.

An idea that was not mine, but nato's regarding culture flip :
Rather than having the city directly go under another's control with your troops going *poof*, the revolt could emulate the fight between the present garrison and the population, who'd have as many [insert unit here] as citizens. No side profits from the city's defensive bonus.
The city would lose as many citizens as troops would be lost in the insurrection, under some limit.
Old April 18, 2003, 09:26   #83
Tiberius
Emperor

I don't agree with this. CF is not always a revolt. It is when you conquer a city and the locals revolt and join the original civ back, but not when you conquer a foreign city due to your higher culture.

For situations of revolt due to foreign occupation, the above solution could be a good one, I don't know, but I don\t want to lose the ability to "out-develope" others and gain cities peacefully.
--Woody Allen
Old April 18, 2003, 10:45   #84
Patroklos
Emperor

Local Time: 22:57
Resource use.
I always found it odd that my empire that spanned half the globe could opperate on a single resource. I also found it odd that a civ that had twenty oil resources under its control could be dirt poor because every other civ was lucky enough to have a random single source in their territory.

What I suggest is that each resource have a unit limit. A single oil resource can support 30 units requiring oil, after which if you want more you will need to secure another source. This means that if you want to build a multi resource unit, you need to make sure you have enough of both. This would greatly increase commerce in the game, as there are always so many resources but you usually can only trade a few. It would also give a civ some benefit to having a huge supply of a single commodity. It could also make the trade embarge devestating to a militaristic civ, might give the builders a chance.

I am not saying that if you have 100 tanks and your oil fields get taken they all evaporate, you would just have to wait until your oil source is out of the red before you can build more.
Old April 18, 2003, 20:22   #85
raghar
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius
The "new idea" that received the fewest votes (namely Tourism) was mine but I'm still proud of it
One of worse weapon are German tourists. Have your read Ranma? Her Shoolmates were infected by virus of German tourist. Really deadly
Old April 18, 2003, 21:01   #86
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 18:57
NO WAY they should add a unit workshop. It was wonderful in SMAC, but it can't be done for a game spanning 6000 years of human history and still maintain some semblance of realism.
Old April 18, 2003, 22:23   #87
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
NO WAY they should add a unit workshop. It was wonderful in SMAC, but it can't be done for a game spanning 6000 years of human history and still maintain some semblance of realism.
Absolutely. However, it would be wonderful if there were some graphical tweaks for the same kind of units between Civs or Civgroups. Like, if the Japanese only had access to Yari samurai rather than pikemen. (It is one of the reasons why I favor Civ3 to become 3D : such minor tweaks wouldn't eat up tons of memry, nor need tons of sprites that require much extra work)
Old April 19, 2003, 05:52   #88
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

How did that workshop work? I haven't played SMAC enough to build any unit Workshop...
Old April 19, 2003, 07:13   #89
altF18
Chieftain

New Concepts for Civ IV
My ideas for a new Civilization:

Acts & Bills - these appear in a new screen called the Senate where you could pass or repeal them, with the Senates consent (in Communisms and Despotisms, the Senate, under another name, always accepts your choice)
A few acts & bills i've come up with are
Emancipation Act - this would free all slaves from Your civ, and prevent you from having them, which would give a happiness bonus. Better as an Act than a National Wonder.
Constitution - makes the general populace happier, due to, er, i don't know what the costs would be. Somehow it'll prevent you from oppressing your citizens much.
I thought of more, but can't recall them now. Anyways, the possibility for many good Acts & Bills is numerous, and they would add a certain depth to the game.

Everyone agrees with the resource point idea, where say, Oil provides 25 points and 1 point supports 1 tank.
But how about we add a new concept into the game, that would actually have you advancing when you get into the post-Rennaisance ages?
This is Energy, a new bar that is created later in the game. Energy would be generated from resoucrces such as Refined Oil, or Petroleum, which is refined from Crude Oil in cities with Refineries.
While most of that oil goes towards Energy, surplus could be sold off or traded - or Manufactured into Petro Products. (which in turn are sold to the city for certain money based on the demand of the citizens - or traded off) All that process would require Micromanaging under Communisms and Socialist states, but Free Economy governments would choose what to build and how much of, (though i think you should master Foreign trade)
But back to Energy. Instead of making refined oil a whole new resoucre, like i suggested above, it wont be.
Instead with Crude Oil, you could make the petro products and trade/sell/buy, but if you want the Oil to support your Energy, you'll need an Oil Refinery.
Than you could dictate how much gets used and what surplus is left for manufacturing/trade.
So an oil resource of 10 units would be shared with 5 units going to Energy and the rest being traded of manufactured, or simply stockpiled.
(it'll be hard to stockpile in Free Enterprises because any leftovers are sure to be used up for Manufacturing and commerce)
Coal resoucres could support energy with a coal plant, Natural Gas could support it with a gas plant, Uranium with a Nuclear Plant, and water with a Hydro dam. (very little energy from water, like 2)
All this Energy would be used to support Factories, which would require a certain level of Energy to keep your civ Industrialized, Units, post-Renno units wouldn'y require Oil, but Energy - tanks take up 1, Battleships 3, fighters 1, and so forth. So Energy would be needed to support the Military. And finally, the city itself, the general population, with the dicsovery of Electricity, would guzzle up those precious Energy units.
1 per pop. unit, in order to keep them happy, plus, (i need another effect here)
make them more prodcutive? or something.
but they'll need it in the modern age, so if you wanna stay civilized, you'll have to get it and keep a good energy supply up.
This goes along with Real Life but also would add that certain new level of depth and strategy building to the game. Energy of course could be traded between cities, even foreign ones, after negotiations.
Though it'd be nice to need Lines to transfer energy, that would only clutter up the map, so that should be left on the unseen level.
Factories which would require energy would be the basis of the Modern nation, allowing cities to manufacture more goods than whatever squandry amount they did ere Industrialization.
Let's say before you could only produce up to 4 units per city, either 4 of one Good (four Textiles from Furs)
or 1 of 4 four goods (one textile, 1 wood products from Timber, 1 this from that, etc.)
This would be max, until Factories come in. Now you could Employ pop. units into Manufacturing, and each pop. unit added into this production zone would add another Four units able to be used.
Now you could expand your Trade Empire.
Sounds complex? Fear not, once you think about it and go over it, it's not. I think it;ll make the game more interesting and add to the Industrial and Commercial side of the game. New reasons to build a Colonial Empire rather than just rule the world for the Bloody sake of ruling it. Now you have Goods make your citizens happy, and you and your Civ Rich!!!
(under Capatilist govs, you only get a good percentage of profits from the sale of Goods, the imaginary Big Corporation selling it gets the rest - this is because that Big Corp would also be paying the costs of Manufacturing it, whereas in Nationalised systems, you'd have to pay for each factory worker unit, which would lessen the profit you make)
Which leaves me wondering why Communists are communists, besides the control, wheres the economic benefits?
All this would be represented with the new concepts i just laid out.
And Civ 4 would surely be about more than war.
what do you think? ideas for improvement on it?
ideas for Acts & Bills?
i'll look forward to it!!!!!!!!
Old April 19, 2003, 11:10   #90
Roggan
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:57
i think the only quastion ssold be wen were how and why

Last edited by MarkG; April 20, 2003 at 04:03.