Old April 2, 2003, 07:58   #1
kobayashi
Prince

Local Time: 06:58
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Fortress Koenigsberg Released.
There are two parts to the game. One is a generic two player game, Battle Field Chess, where both sides have the same map and units - from the mid to late 20th century. There aren't going to be any specific units or countries and the objective will be to overrun the enemy HQ. There won't be cities, research or building of units either. Instead, there is a control panel where you can trigger additional reinforcements.

There will be two sets of rules. The intial set is for setting up the game. Units will have very high movement and this will allow you to place them in their starting positions. After both sides have done this, the actual rules file can be substituted using a batch file.

BFC acts as a base pack for other people who wish to make single-player scenarios using the same concept. The units you start of with are roughly as below-

There is also an example of a single player scenario to show what can be done using BFC. It is called Fortress Koenigsburg and is based on the German evacuation of East Prussia in 1945.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/BFCv1.zip

Last edited by kobayashi; April 2, 2003 at 08:25.
Old April 2, 2003, 08:15   #2
kobayashi
Prince

here's a screen capture, as you can see, the units are neither Hi-Res nor Isometric.

Old April 2, 2003, 08:28   #3
curtsibling
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation

Local Time: 23:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Wow!

A war sceanrio with REAL battlefield icons!

Good work, sir!
Old April 2, 2003, 16:19   #4
WarVoid
King

Local Time: 22:58
That looks scarily like a screenshot from TOAW.
Old April 2, 2003, 21:49   #5
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 08:58
Quote:
Originally posted by WarVoid
That looks scarily like a screenshot from TOAW.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking

*drools*
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old April 3, 2003, 00:44   #6
kobayashi
Prince

What is this TOAW you guys are talking about, I deduce it means The Operational Art of War. I never tried it.

Computer games like East Front now use fancy pictures on the units. As I teen I used play play many Avalon Hill and SSI board games that were more or less using these icon type units (well actually they had the formation numbers on them as well). BFC plays the same way more or less. Only major difference is that those use hexagons. I tried unsuccessfully to shape the diamond tiles into hexes.
Old April 3, 2003, 01:29   #7
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 08:58
Quote:
What is this TOAW you guys are talking about, I deduce it means The Operational Art of War. I never tried it.
You should - it may be the best war game ever
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old April 3, 2003, 03:20   #8
kobayashi
Prince

OK I'll just sit back now and wait for someone to tell me they managed to save 50 000 civillians or that its just too hard.

(he he ...There is an auto spawning system which generates random AI unit at the forward most cities. Every AI unit killed generates two new ones. perversely, if human units get killed it spawns AI units too.)

Last edited by kobayashi; April 3, 2003 at 03:26.
Old April 5, 2003, 05:15   #9
kobayashi
Prince

Heres a screen from 8pm Day 1. In the Command Bunker you build the 'tick' slowly and when its done (rushing via favour points), you can use it to pick one of the reinforcement options which appear at random intervals on your control panel.

Old April 9, 2003, 02:35   #10
kobayashi
Prince

Anybody even downloaded it to give it a try?
Old April 9, 2003, 03:34   #11
EZRhino
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 15:58
Location: Sunset and the evening star And one clear call for me.
I have Ive played about 9 turns so far, and I love it! I too played TOAW, and this scenario brings back alot of good memories. I already have some ideas for a Fuldas Gap '85 scenario using this template. But alas, I am terrible at making scenarios, it takes an amount of dicipline that I sadly lack. I want to post a review tomorrow, its rather late here, and I have work in the morning

Edit: I do admit that playing against the AI can be kind of akward however.

Sors salutis/ et virtutis/ michi nunc contraria,/ est affectus/ et defectus/ semper in angaria./
Hac in hora/ sine mora/ corde pulsem tangite;/ quod per sortem/ sternit fortem,/ mecum omnes plangite!

Last edited by EZRhino; April 9, 2003 at 03:43.
Old April 13, 2003, 05:49   #12
kobayashi
Prince

To give a better idea of what the game is about, I've started an hour by hour log of my own game over here

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...threadid=49392

So far I'm up to midnight of day five.