Old April 2, 2003, 22:15   #1
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 16:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Someone please tell him to shut up...
This is the third time now, I think he's made his point:

Cellucci scolds Canada again over Iraq stance

MONTREAL (CP) - United States Ambassador Paul Cellucci scolded Canada again today for refusing to support the war in Iraq while U.S. soldiers are killed or taken prisoner.
"It is an odd situation, when two countries are close as we are, that we would be fighting a war and losing men and having prisoners of war taken, not to have Canada with us," Cellucci said at a news conference.

The ambassador also said it was "odd" that Canadian military ships and crews are in the Persian Gulf on anti-terrorist manoeuvres, even though the Canadian government officially opposes the war.

His statements follow a well-publicized speech in Toronto last month in which he said Canada's refusal to participate in the war without United Nations approval has caused a "bump in relations."

He added Wednesday that the two countries would have to work to maintain "business as usual" amid the divisions over how best to deal with Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein.

Cellucci earlier told a meeting of the Quebec Electrical Industry Association that Canada is America's "most important" neighbour.

The ambassador said the $1.4 billion in daily cross-border trade between the two countries must continue without interruption.

The federal Liberals have faced a barrage of criticism from opposition parties and business leaders over their refusal to endorse the Iraqi invasion.

Former U.S. secretary of state James Baker also criticized Canada's stance but his rebuke in the speech in Toronto today was relatively muted.

While Baker accused France, Germany and Russia of playing a destructive role leading up to the war, he said he detected a lesser degree of disappointment in Washington over Canada's non-entry.

Cellucci also weighed in today on recent expressions of anti-Americanism in Canada sparked by the U.S. decision to wage war in Iraq.

The U.S. ambassador to Canada said the anti-American incidents were "unfortunate" but isolated.

A peewee hockey team from Massachusetts recently faced insults on the ice at a Montreal hockey tournament.

"I think it's unfortunate when things like that happen," said Cellucci.

"I think it's the exception, not the rule. I know that emotions are running high relative to this war in Iraq, so I would hope that kind of behaviour would not continue."

According to a published report, Canadian players at the hockey tournament told their U.S. counterparts "the U.S. sucks" during a game on March 20.

The 11- and 12-year-old Massachusetts players said they earlier witnessed a U.S. flag being burned during an antiwar protest in Montreal and faced obscene gestures when their bus drove through city streets.

Cellucci cautioned the anti-American incidents might not go over well south of the border.

"Unfortunately, it's the kind of thing that gets reported back in the United States and kind of gives a somewhat false image."

Several dozen protesters waved antiwar placards outside the downtown hotel where Cellucci delivered his speech.

A protest organizer said Cellucci should not be interfering in Canada's decision to stay out of the American-led invasion.
Old April 2, 2003, 22:21   #2
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 17:01
Do Canadians really count Greenland as a neighbor? otherwise, isn't the US Canada's ONLY neighbor?

Sorry Canada, that you get some pinhead political nominee who happens to be a buddy of the Prez and not some professional diplomat.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old April 2, 2003, 22:32   #3
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 18:01
:yawn:

Chretien is only opposing the war publicly to score points with his anti-american constituents. He's said it before, after all... Canadians like it when their PM stands up to the usa.

Bottom line is, he's having it both ways: Canadians are doing more in the war on Iraq than most of the 'coalition' members are (troops on exchange program, warships on patrol). I wonder if Celluci is shilling for Chretien, and if so, if Bush is smart enough to figure out what Chretien's doing?

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old April 2, 2003, 22:36   #4
Kontiki
King

Local Time: 19:01
Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
Do Canadians really count Greenland as a neighbor? otherwise, isn't the US Canada's ONLY neighbor?

Sorry Canada, that you get some pinhead political nominee who happens to be a buddy of the Prez and not some professional diplomat.
The article actually points to the US's neighbours, in which case they have a whopping two - Canada and Mexico.

And no, we don't consider Greenland a neighbour.
Old April 2, 2003, 22:37   #5
Willem
Emperor

The ironic thing is that it wouldn't make any difference anyway. Any support we could provide would be purely symbolic; most of the troops and resources we can spare are already in the region. Here we are covering their back, and they still complain?
Old April 2, 2003, 22:42   #6
GePap
Emperor

Americans need to be loved, specially when they get into their righteous phase. Come on, all you need to know about the mentality of Americans like this guy can be learned from Rambo III
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old April 2, 2003, 22:46   #7
Ned
King

Local Time: 15:01
I understand the Canadians gave a standing O when God Bless American was played during one of the two Canadian teams' home opener. I have also heard that there is a tremendous upswell of pro-US feelings since the war began.

Is this true?
Old April 2, 2003, 22:52   #8
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
I understand the Canadians gave a standing O when God Bless American was played during one of the two Canadian teams' home opener. I have also heard that there is a tremendous upswell of pro-US feelings since the war began.

Is this true?
I heard there was an ovation at Skydome. I also read an news article (no, I have no link - it was an actual paper article ) wondering why they were playing 'God Bless America' in the 7th inning stretch. Apparently that was a diktat from Selig.

As for whether Canadians are more pro-US since the war started, I haven't been paying attention enough to notice.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old April 2, 2003, 22:53   #9
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

Is this true?
I think this situation is bringing out both extremes actually. I'd say the emphasis is on anti-US emotions however; at least that's the general mood in my area. Around here though it's more like a sullen disapproval, rather than an outright resentment.
Old April 2, 2003, 22:54   #10
cinch
Warlord

Quote:
understand the Canadians gave a standing O when God Bless American was played during one of the two Canadian teams' home opener. I have also heard that there is a tremendous upswell of pro-US feelings since the war began.
Well, they did play God Bless America to a standing ovation during the 7th inning stretch of the Jays' opener, yes... As for a "tremendous upswell of pro-US feelings", I would say no, because there was never a downswell before. It has been relatively constant, I'd say.
Old April 2, 2003, 22:59   #11
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Canadians are good people. Not everyone can agree with us, that's acceptable and a guy like Cellucci should know that.

On the other hand, of course, he's well within his rights to chastise an ally for not giving more support.

What's the problem?
Old April 2, 2003, 23:03   #12
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Actually, there is a fairly even split for and against the war in most of the country. When Quebec is included, the majority is against.

A lot of Canadians feel the way a lot of Americans do. Unsure or against it before it started, but now that it's on, most want the US to get it done.
Old April 2, 2003, 23:05   #13
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by cyclotron7
Canadians are good people. Not everyone can agree with us, that's acceptable and a guy like Cellucci should know that.

On the other hand, of course, he's well within his rights to chastise an ally for not giving more support.

What's the problem?
The problem is that he won't stop. Like I said, this is now his third rant, and he just keeps repeating himself each time. Especially the part about how we're providing more indirect support than most of the other members of the coalition. He made his position clear the first time, he doesn't need to keep harping on about it.
Old April 2, 2003, 23:05   #14
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 07:01
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

Is this true?
It's a Toronto-Montreal thing. The Montreal fans do something and the Toronto fans naturally do the opposite.

For example, Montreal supports a loser hockey team, Toronto supports a winning team.
Old April 2, 2003, 23:10   #15
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tingkai
For example, Montreal supports a loser hockey team, Toronto supports a winning team.

Old April 2, 2003, 23:12   #16
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem
He made his position clear the first time, he doesn't need to keep harping on about it.
Then neither do you, you postcount-monger.
Old April 2, 2003, 23:13   #17
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

By the way, I am starting to see British flags pop up around here.

Mis Novias
Old April 2, 2003, 23:15   #18
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I don't see any rant in his comments from the opening post.
Old April 2, 2003, 23:15   #19
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

( I mean in real life in America, not here at Apolyton ).

Mis Novias
Old April 2, 2003, 23:18   #20
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by cyclotron7

Then neither do you, you postcount-monger.
I'm not. I'm asking politely to the powers that be: "Please Mr. Celluci, you've had your say. Now leave us alone."
Old April 3, 2003, 00:18   #21
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Support for the war goes up in Alberta with each passing day...
Old April 3, 2003, 00:22   #22
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
Support for the war goes up in Alberta with each passing day...
As David Floyd would say... volunteer, then.

Old April 3, 2003, 00:24   #23
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Huh?
Old April 3, 2003, 00:28   #24
King

Quote:
Huh?
If you support the war, go fight it. Be a latter-day Flying Tiger, or one of the US volunteers for the RAF in WWII Or a Hemingway character in Spain if you prefer

Or... at least send the US govt some cash to show your support I gather it (the war) is quite costly.

Old April 3, 2003, 00:30   #25
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

It's a certain leap in logic to say people who support the war should go fight it.

Today's forces are volunteers, they chose to join the services. If we were drafting people and I supported the war, THEN it would make sense I should have to go and fight.

But since the people fighting are strictly volunteers, I can't say it has the same effect.

And why would I send the US gov't some cash? The Canadian government is the one that should be helping.
Old April 3, 2003, 00:31   #26
Ozz
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:01
Quote:
Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
As David Floyd would say... volunteer, then.
LMAO :goodjob:
Old April 3, 2003, 00:36   #27
King

Quote:
But since the people fighting are strictly volunteers, I can't say it has the same effect.

And why would I send the US gov't some cash? The Canadian government is the one that should be helping.
Hmm. The Canadian government IS helping, as I pointed out earlier in this thread. The refusing-to-support-the-war act is a smokescreen so Chretien can say to the Americans that we're doing something (ships in the gulf, soldiers in exchange program) and then turn around and tell Canadians that we're not in the war, because we're not in the 'coalition of the coerc-' er, willing.

I don't see why you can't send the US some cash if you support their cause. I give to various charities and causes I support. Don't you?

Just because the government isn't doing what you want it to, doesn't mean you can't do anything. Including volunteer for the U.S. army (aren't you a dual citizen) if you really feel strongly.

Old April 3, 2003, 00:42   #28
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Hmm. The Canadian government IS helping, as I pointed out earlier in this thread. The refusing-to-support-the-war act is a smokescreen so Chretien can say to the Americans that we're doing something (ships in the gulf, soldiers in exchange program) and then turn around and tell Canadians that we're not in the war, because we're not in the 'coalition of the coerc-' er, willing.
Patrolling the gulf isn't supporting the war, it's almost related but it's not.
Troops in Afghanistan isn't supporting the war, it's almost related but it's not.

Canada did send several hundred million in humanitarian aid to Iraq, which is good, though...

Quote:
I don't see why you can't send the US some cash if you support their cause. I give to various charities and causes I support. Don't you?
Do you realize that I'm a college student?

I'll be paying US taxes soon enough, they'll get their due.

Quote:
Just because the government isn't doing what you want it to, doesn't mean you can't do anything. Including volunteer for the U.S. army (aren't you a dual citizen) if you really feel strongly.
It's not as simple as volunteering and you go to fight the war, and you know it. By the time I'd be done boot camp, the war would be over.

And since I'm a college student, they'd keep me going to university and then send me to officer school...way too much work, the thing will be long done by then.
Old April 3, 2003, 00:47   #29
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 07:01
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
If you support the war, go fight it. Be a latter-day Flying Tiger, or one of the US volunteers for the RAF in WWII Or a Hemingway character in Spain if you prefer

Or... at least send the US govt some cash to show your support I gather it (the war) is quite costly.
Asher is American so he should be willing to serve his country.

But apparently he strongly support the war as long as someone else does the dirty work, and as long as someone else pays for it.

With countrymen like these...
Old April 3, 2003, 00:49   #30
notyoueither
Deity

So, I guess you'll be looking for the nearest American tank to block with your body then, right Tingkai?