Old April 3, 2003, 00:10   #1
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 19:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Democracy, Whiskey, and Sexy!
That's what the 101st has brought to Najaf!

Quote:
Exuberant, Shiite Crowd Calls Vainly for Water
By JIM DWYER

NAJAF, Iraq, April 2 — In the giddy spirit of the day, nothing could quite top the wish list bellowed out by one man in the throng of people greeting American troops from the 101st Airborne Division who marched into town today.

What, the man was asked, did he hope to see now that the Baath Party had been driven from power in his town? What would the Americans bring?

"Democracy," the man said, his voice rising to lift each word to greater prominence. "Whiskey. And sexy!"

Around him, the crowd roared its approval. Yet when the first round of welcomes to American soldiers and journalists were exuberantly, even affectionately completed, the people in the crowd had a more urgent request than liquor. They wanted water.

There has been none in this town for four days. Again and again, people pointed to the sky, tilted their heads back and pointed to their open mouths. A boy, age about 6 or 7, approached an American reporter and said the two words that were uttered over and over: "America. Good." Then he kissed the reporter on the cheek, shook his hand and pointed to the sky, pleading for water.

Neither soldiers nor reporters had water for the town. The infrastructure has been brought down by nearly a week of battles in and around the town. For now, there is no short-term prospect for any relief, although military officials note that the town's landing strip could easily accommodate C-130 cargo planes.

This is the first town of any major size that the Americans have fought for and taken control of, but Najaf itself is of little importance to the military mission here. The troops need it to secure supply lines for the invasion of Baghdad. The paramilitary fighters of Saddam Hussein's Baath Party have been driven out, and arms caches have been destroyed.

The Shiite Muslim population of the town, long oppressed by the Baath, poured out of their homes on Tuesday with tips about weapons hiding places and training grounds. The Shiites seemed mildly to wildly grateful for the presence of the Americans, but were curious about what it will amount to. So, too, was one American military official, who said he wondered how he would know when he was done in Najaf.

Kase, an Iraqi civil engineer who would not give his last name, was part of a crowd that gathered outside a former ammunition center for the Baath Party. "Will you stay?" he asked.

Most of the troops from the 101st will not be staying, at least after the last of the paramilitary fighters has been routed or driven into hiding. The American soldiers will be moving north to assist in seizing territory around Baghdad, and perhaps going into the capital. A contingent of Special Forces troops will remain here, but to support some other civil authority, not to run the town.

The military has sought meetings with a major Shiite leader here, Ayatollah Ali Alsestani, who has so far declined to speak with American officials. The cleric is said to have been kept under house arrest for a decade or more, but was freed within the last day after his guards fled as the American cordon around the city drew tighter.

Lt. Col. Chris Hughes said he had been talking with an emissary of the imam about governing arrangements for the city now that the Baath Party had been routed. The cleric sent a message to Colonel Hughes, saying he would give his response on Thursday.

In the view of Kadhim al-Waeli, an expatriate who returned to the city today with the American troops, the ayatollah's unwillingness to publicly embrace the invading force reflects a broader uncertainty about American steadfastness.

After the first Persian Gulf war in 1991, the United States government encouraged Shiites in the south of Iraq to rebel against President Hussein but provided little tangible support. When the Iraqi government harshly repressed the uprisings, Mr. Waeli, who had been part of the insurgency, fled to Saudi Arabia.

Mr. Waeli returned today as a member of the Free Iraqi Forces, a group of Iraqi natives attached to a civil affairs unit of the Army. He said the local Shiites were concerned that the Americans would not secure the peace and wanted to know, "Are you going to be here or are you going to leave us?"

For now, the American troops are here: they will continue to hunt down paramilitary fighters in and around the town. Eight Iraqis were killed on Tuesday by American and British troops.

The roads leading out of the city had been freshly seeded with land mines, apparently by paramilitary fighters anticipating the American arrival, and a team of engineers — known as sappers in the Army — moved methodically through the mines.

Just before the sun went down, the engineers cleared the third of such fields, detonating them with C-4 explosive. The troops had discovered a factory where such land mines were made, but the ones exploded at the end of the day on Tuesday had been made in Italy, said Lt. Col. Duke Deluca.

"Europeans are antiwar, but they are pro-commerce," Colonel Deluca said.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old April 3, 2003, 00:13   #2
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 17:01
Hey, Italy is part of the coolition! That Colonel will get a talking to.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old April 3, 2003, 00:18   #3
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 18:01
Good ol' American values. I'm glad we can stand for something.
Old April 3, 2003, 00:21   #4
Kramerman
Prince

Im gald Americans are know for sexy!
Old April 3, 2003, 00:23   #5
GePap
Emperor

In a few years, They will know the correct way to say it! Its SEX, without the Y.

I wonder if the local Ayatollah will approve of the booze part?
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old April 3, 2003, 00:28   #6
DanS
Deity

I bet nobody's accused you of being a poet, GePap.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old April 3, 2003, 00:34   #7
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
I bet nobody's accused you of being a poet, GePap.

would that be considered consonance?
Old April 3, 2003, 00:46   #8
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 15:01
I wonder how long they'll last without water.
Old April 3, 2003, 01:24   #9
Koyaanisqatsi
King

Does the US have the ability form an air bridge to bring in water? Well, I know we have the ability, I was more asking about the time/supplies...

Talking to the Ayatollah about governance worries me.
Old April 3, 2003, 02:01   #10
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

So DanS did they get water?

Access to hot Iraqi women Ted Striker will show them firsthand what sexy is all about.

Mis Novias
Old April 3, 2003, 02:05   #11
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by dv8ed
Does the US have the ability form an air bridge to bring in water? Well, I know we have the ability, I was more asking about the time/supplies...
Getting water into distributable form (bladder canteens, trucks, whatever) and getting it airlifted in would be too little too late. It's a matter of getting the local infrastructure fixed, and/or people dying off, especially old people and small kids.

Quote:
Talking to the Ayatollah about governance worries me.
Their ayatollah, not the other one, but welcome to democracy in Iraq. Not talking to the ayatollah is about the only thing worse than talking to him.
Old April 3, 2003, 02:16   #12
Koyaanisqatsi
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
Their ayatollah, not the other one, but welcome to democracy in Iraq. Not talking to the ayatollah is about the only thing worse than talking to him.
Yeah, I know, but anytime something like that is mentioned, I start to worry that the final result of this war is going to be a much less secular state than Saddam's Iraq...which, while still an improvement, is not necessarily a Good Thing. And yes, I know about the split between Shi'ite and Sunni, but still...
Old April 3, 2003, 02:20   #13
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

bueno. i'm glad they understand the reasons we're waging this war. but whats this "democracy" they're yammering about?
Old April 3, 2003, 04:23   #14
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 13:01
so long as the UK, US, Aussieland, and the rest of the coalition is kicking Baath party a** and taking out those terrorists.

I still wish I could go one-on-one boxing with Bin Laden.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old April 3, 2003, 10:14   #15
DanS
Deity

Franky: You would beat up an old man like OBL?
Old April 5, 2003, 02:42   #16
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 09:01
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Osama's a trained terrorist and commando. It'd be a pretty fair fight.
Old April 5, 2003, 03:45   #17
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 23:01
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
Osama's a trained terrorist and commando. It'd be a pretty fair fight.
Though you have to remember: Frankychan probably lives in Shenyang and follows the teaching of Shen Yang.

He'd probably just make Bin Laden one with all the people
Old April 5, 2003, 06:05   #18
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Frankychan
so long as the UK, US, Aussieland, and the rest of the coalition is kicking Baath party a** and taking out those terrorists.
Yeah, so what if a few thousand civilians end up dying of thirst or kids and old people die from drinking contaminated water. It's a small price to pay for what we're doing for them.
Old April 5, 2003, 09:35   #19
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

This kind of arrogance is sickening. For those of you that saw my old sig:

General Myers, head of the Joint Chiefs, after displaying a video of Iraqis fighting over food from an aid truck:
"They have their first taste of freedom."

Old April 5, 2003, 15:20   #20
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
This kind of arrogance is sickening. For those of you that saw my old sig:

General Myers, head of the Joint Chiefs, after displaying a video of Iraqis fighting over food from an aid truck:
"They have their first taste of freedom."

whats so wrong about that? these people have been oppressed for how long now? and now they see more food then they've seen in 12 years? of course they're going to go a little crazy.