Old April 3, 2003, 04:17   #1
arsvendg
Settler

Local Time: 00:02
Local Date: November 2, 2010
has the 1.21 patch for uk version arrived yet?
Does anyone know when it will be out?

I saw that the german version was right around the corner, so maybe the uk version is here soon??
Old April 6, 2003, 12:08   #2
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 01:02
no (at least not as know)
Old April 12, 2003, 02:48   #3
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

This is getting beyond belief...
Old April 12, 2003, 08:23   #4
David Murray
Prince

Local Time: 23:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by alva
This is getting beyond belief...
If there are any other Europeans out there waiting for the patch, and indeed expecting any future patches to be localized for them, I thoroughly recommend finding 'alternative solutions'. Infogrames have dumped on us big-time, and Firaxis couldn't care less.
Old April 12, 2003, 08:43   #5
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

I asked Firaxian Barry Caudill in the Civfanatics chat yesterday. He told me the localizations should enter testing next week (he also told me the next patch for US version will enter testing in two weeks ).

I have taken my UK 1.14f at Civ3.de, as they had it uploaded more quickly than 'Poly and Firaxis themselves I trust them to upload the European version of the patch as soon as it's out.
Old April 12, 2003, 09:33   #6
David Murray
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
I asked Firaxian Barry Caudill in the Civfanatics chat yesterday. He told me the localizations should enter testing next week (he also told me the next patch for US version will enter testing in two weeks ).
Well, if that is the case then it strongly suggests that the next patch for The Motherland will not be available to lowly Europeans for quite some time, if ever. It would make no sense to release the previous patch for us two weeks before the next one comes out, if it was the case that they intended to localize the newer patch soon after it was released. We have been waiting since the 28th of February for this one, after all, why not wait a few more weeks and just get the newest patch?

Quote:
I have taken my UK 1.14f at Civ3.de, as they had it uploaded more quickly than 'Poly and Firaxis themselves I trust them to upload the European version of the patch as soon as it's out.
I'm taking steps to try and make sure I don't have to wait months for the next patch simply because I'm an inferior European. I reallly don't recommend anyone to hold their breath waiting for future patches for their filthy, inferior European products.
Old April 12, 2003, 12:05   #7
Alfonso
Spanish Civers
Emperor

Why they do not make the compatible patches for all the versions?
Old April 12, 2003, 12:14   #8
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Alfonso
Why they do not make the compatible patches for all the versions?
hi ,

infogreed , ..... they dont feel its needed to make them , yet , .....

just by the US english version , dont forget that the next time (!)

have a nice day
Old April 12, 2003, 12:46   #9
Spiffor

Panag :
I bought Civ3 from an American online store. 45 € for the game, 15 € to send it, 15 € tolls
That's why I bought PtW from Amazon.co.uk, to avoid paying so much for post, and to have no tolls. Had I bought it in the US, it would have costed me twice too much.

Last part edited by ming... you know, that anti "piracy" theme that we have here

Last edited by Ming; April 14, 2003 at 17:01.
Old April 12, 2003, 12:53   #10
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
Panag :
I bought Civ3 from an American online store. 45 € for the game, 15 € to send it, 15 € tolls
That's why I bought PtW from Amazon.co.uk, to avoid paying so much for post, and to have no tolls. Had I bought it in the US, it would have costed me twice too much.
hi ,

you should have follow the link's from apolyton , ......

it would have been 25 usd with free shipping and a bit of tax , .....

oh , if you are in europe and bought it from amazon uk then you cant pay taxes , .....

have a nice day

Last edited by Ming; April 14, 2003 at 17:02.
Old April 12, 2003, 16:28   #11
David Murray
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

you should have follow the link's from apolyton , ......

it would have been 25 usd with free shipping and a bit of tax , .....

oh , if you are in europe and bought it from amazon uk then you cant pay taxes , .....

have a nice day
That really isn't helpful. Europeans have had PTW for months and the first two patches came out without bother. This recent debacle comes a long time after we bought PTW from European outlets. This is also a problem I have never had for any other PC game--it is a unique situation for Sid Meier to be in, that is to say, to have his name attached to a game which the publishers are only prepared to support if yours is stamped with the Stars and Stripes.

Edit: Infogrames never originally intended Europeans to see the 1.21f patch. God only knows if they were planning to localize any more updates until they received a barrage of complaints.
Old April 12, 2003, 18:00   #12
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by David Murray

That really isn't helpful. Europeans have had PTW for months and the first two patches came out without bother. This recent debacle comes a long time after we bought PTW from European outlets. This is also a problem I have never had for any other PC game--it is a unique situation for Sid Meier to be in, that is to say, to have his name attached to a game which the publishers are only prepared to support if yours is stamped with the Stars and Stripes.

Edit: Infogrames never originally intended Europeans to see the 1.21f patch. God only knows if they were planning to localize any more updates until they received a barrage of complaints.
hi ,

ptw was out for months , before it came in its "local version , .....

the problem is not Sid or Firaxis , the main problem is infogrames , ...... and the smartface who kissed some-one behind in figuring out a way to stop illegal copies , ..... by making at least one version for each country , ...... and using a different software protection for PTW then CIV III , .....

well infogrames has stated that it would give the money back guarantee if one does not like the product , ......

since most europeans have to pay from 35 all the way up to 60 USD / EUR for a copy of PTW , they are still better of with a US english copy that cost 26 plus tax , .....

then again , there are a lot of europeans who are lucky , the first "batch" in most countries is US english , .....

so are the special versions

have a nice day
Old April 13, 2003, 12:29   #13
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Heh heh ... yes, hats off to the guy who invented the anti-piracy technique. Sure will stop pirates in their tracks. Not like it takes 20 seconds to find the 'solution' with a judicious search on Google.
hi ,

wanna bet he is going to get his desk cleaned out ones they have figured out that sales are dropping thanks to this , ...... they are bound to loose money this way , ..... more money then a couple guys who make some copies who have cost them , ......

have a nice day
Old April 14, 2003, 17:09   #14
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 18:02
Hmmm... I can see that some people have forgotten all about this sites position on piracy of software.

This site does not support or condone the illegal use of software. and this includes no disc hacks that are NOT approved by the publishers.

It's illegal... period. I had to delete a lot of posts in this thread... next time, I will just ban people and delete the whole thread.

Oh... and David Murray... the next time you promote illegal use of software on this site, you will get a very long vacation.
Old April 14, 2003, 17:33   #15
SirOsis
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Heh. I wondered when Ming would show up.

It really is a shame that PTW isn't patched up equally for the different versions. The no-cd patch apparently can fix this fiasco even if it is "illegal".

The copy protection is only harming the consumer.

All we really want is to be all at 1.21 version instead of needing multiple installs to play a game that isn't really finished yet.
Old April 14, 2003, 19:09   #16
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SirOsis
Heh. I wondered when Ming would show up.

It really is a shame that PTW isn't patched up equally for the different versions. The no-cd patch apparently can fix this fiasco even if it is "illegal".

The copy protection is only harming the consumer.

All we really want is to be all at 1.21 version instead of needing multiple installs to play a game that isn't really finished yet.
hi ,

well people can do a couple things , one start to blame infogrames , ....

two , get the US english version , .... its very low priced now , .... check the link at apolyton , ....

top right banner add ; 20 USD rebate !

have a nice day
Old April 15, 2003, 07:37   #17
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

If you need a solution, contact me: robert@plompweb.net

Ming: I don't deserve a ban for that since the solution could be: "Buy a ticked to fly to the US and buy PTW american version overthere"

Besides that, I really hope that you receive tons of e-mails from infogrames/ firaxis warning you to not spread hacking info, otherwise you would be a very very very very very sick person to keep coming with this political correct but still amazing out-of-place so called 'legal' crap-talk.

But again, if you receive tons of warnings from those companies your situation is accepted and understood. (and respected)
Old April 15, 2003, 11:45   #18
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Legal action from ANY gaming company could close this site in a matter of seconds.

The risk is too great... I don't think anybody here really wants to see this site shut down.

So again... The owners of this site do not condone or support ANY illegal uses of software. Any discussion on said topics will lead to a restriction.
Old April 15, 2003, 16:21   #19
Spiffor

For people with a European version of PtW, it is impossible to get the same level of support now than the Americans, because the American patch is incompatible with European versions.
Old April 16, 2003, 02:35   #20
Robert Plomp
admin
Administrator

Quote:
Legal action from ANY gaming company could close this site in a matter of seconds.

You mean like when a link is posted to another site where a no-cd crack can be downloaded?

Tell me, how comes that the famous no-cd crack site hasn't been closed down yet?
Oh well, we had this discussion before.

Conclusion, this is a poly-policy that was made WITHOUT any influence from gaming companies by direct e-mail to one of the staf-members?

Of course an easy policy to maintain if you're from the USA yourself (or got a free game from the USA) so you don't have those patch-problems yourself.
Old April 16, 2003, 02:51   #21
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Cyber; it's a trade-of.. 'Poly plays by the 'rules' and in return get chats and Firaxis members posting here, which in return blah blah blah...
-
Panag, with all due respect, but I'm not buying the same game twice (which I really only play for the PBEM games), and I'm certainly not going to 'reward' Infogrames by doing so for NOT providing something they REALLY should !!!.
If you buit a second time, think of the message your sending them..
Old April 16, 2003, 04:47   #22
Robert Plomp
admin
Administrator

Alva, that's what I asked to Ming.
If that's the reason they do it, I'll respect that, and understand that point of view.

But Ming doesn't confirm that.
It's as easy as hell, say: "Yes, we're asked to do this by Firaxis"
Old April 16, 2003, 07:49   #23
Ribannah
Queen

Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
How about: "Firaxis support their customers throughout the world" (instead of just the USA) "and in return we maintain this here website to promote their products"?
Old April 16, 2003, 15:26   #24
David Murray
Prince

I don't think Firaxis and Apolyton are having some kind of special back-slapping relationship, but check out the Hints and Tips section of this page: http://www.ina-support.com/faq/civ3_pc.asp. The publishers, developers and fansites have a pretty close relationship.

I would like to say that I apologize if my previous posts made the admins a little annoyed. My beef is with Infogrames and not Apolyton.
Old April 16, 2003, 16:57   #25
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by alva
Cyber; it's a trade-of.. 'Poly plays by the 'rules' and in return get chats and Firaxis members posting here, which in return blah blah blah...
-
Panag, with all due respect, but I'm not buying the same game twice (which I really only play for the PBEM games), and I'm certainly not going to 'reward' Infogrames by doing so for NOT providing something they REALLY should !!!.
If you buit a second time, think of the message your sending them..
hi ,

you got a point but , its for the player to make , why play a game that you cant play , ...

but think of this ; what message do you send them by not buying your local version , .....

they have also started to see the numbers from overseas players who buy the game , .... in US english

have a nice day
Old April 16, 2003, 16:58   #26
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
I don't think Firaxis and Apolyton are having some kind of special back-slapping relationship, but check out the Hints and Tips section of this page: http://www.ina-support.com/faq/civ3_pc.asp. The publishers, developers and fansites have a pretty close relationship.

I would like to say that I apologize if my previous posts made the admins a little annoyed. My beef is with Infogrames and not Apolyton.
hi ,

" You have attempted to access a web page that is unavailable or does not exist.
You can return to the Infogrames Home Page or click on one of the links below.
If you still have problems, please send us an email. "

error 404 , ....

that link is death , ......

have a nice day
Old April 16, 2003, 17:20   #27
Fritti
Settler

- it's pretty easy to find some sort of no-cd / crack that will allow you to update the game, you don't need a link except for Google. The point is that both Infogrames and I don't like it. Infogrames doesn't want piracy stuff, I really don't like it because *if* civ crashes, which program is to blame? So why is Infogrames hurting itself, doubly so?

- most Dutch people (me included) don't need or even want localized versions (witness the uproar when Black & White was released only in Dutch here). So why do we have to wait for localized versions? The same goes for the UK people of course (or have they 'translated' civ into UK english vs US english? don't think so).

- people that are anxious for the patch should really email Infogrames customer support. I filled in a web form at Infogrames UK website, and got a response that directed me to the Dutch support site. However they are now aware of my problem. I suggest you all do the same, that way Infogrames really gets to know that there is indeed a problem. Email: support@uk.infogrames.com. Mail them even if you're not from the UK, it will help.

- finally, if I were a Firaxian, I'd probably be griding my teeth in frustration all day -- I don't think they can do anything about this at all (at least I like to think so). Publishers as middlemen just s*ck.

In other words: harass Infogrames, they're the problem here.

Why am I posting this? Just venting frustration
Old April 16, 2003, 18:50   #28
Robert Plomp
admin
Administrator

Quote:
- most Dutch people (me included) don't need or even want localized versions (witness the uproar when Black & White was released only in Dutch here). So why do we have to wait for localized versions? The same goes for the UK people of course (or have they 'translated' civ into UK english vs US english? don't think so).
I don't want and I don't bought a 'localized dutch version'
All I could buy was the english european version, which hasn't been patched yet for 1.21.
Old April 16, 2003, 18:50   #29
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberShy
Tell me, how comes that the famous no-cd crack site hasn't been closed down yet?
Oh well, we had this discussion before.

Conclusion, this is a poly-policy that was made WITHOUT any influence from gaming companies by direct e-mail to one of the staf-members?
What other sites want to do is their concern, and not Apolytons. If some sites want to expose themselves to legal action... that's a risk they can take.

And your Conclussion is not based on any facts. I have no clue if an email was sent to Apolyton or not. Frankly it doesn't change the facts.

If Apolyton allowed such discussion and supported the illegal use of software, it would be subject to legal action. It's a risk. Granted, as you state, the "other" site remains open, but that doesn't mean that they won't get shut down in the future.

Why take the chance? There are many other places where people can go and find such things, and discuss them. It's not needed here... so why should they take a risk.
Old April 17, 2003, 01:44   #30
Fritti
Settler

Cyber: that's what I said, isn't it?