Old April 3, 2003, 08:42   #1
Daz
Prince

Local Time: 23:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
A dying forum...?
The MOO3 forums seem to be slowly dying. Is it because of that title just above the threads?

How many of you have switched to GalCiv?
Daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2003, 09:48   #2
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 20:02
I think the forums will naturally be emptied with time, and only the hardcore MOO3 fans will remain to spam this place from time to time.
Old April 3, 2003, 12:01   #3
The Templar
Prince

Local Time: 18:02
I'm playing GalCiv these days. I check these forums occasionally hoping to see that the patch is out and make wise ass comments.
The Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2003, 12:01   #4
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

wait for the patch, then the fans will be back. And yes, the release so close to GalCiv has hurt the fan base
H Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2003, 13:15   #5
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 19:02
Several reason come to mind, not the least is there is so little in the way of data to use to make strategies.
Players have a limited impact and game is not exciting.
The battles are fun, but it is quite some time before you get to large TF that are cool.
I just suspect that many put it aside after a few runs. If they can get some of the complaints addressed, that could change things, not sure.
I just have a ton of games that are fun to play, so I am not inclinded to fire Moo3 up.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2003, 13:41   #6
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 01:02
Local Date: November 2, 2010
There is a difference betwwen moo3 and civ3 that affects forums.

In civ3 you can learn how to become a good player, with enought reading you can take on anyone.

In moo3 you slowly get a feel of what is going on. You don't have numbers and formulas. Just the gut feeling of what is going on.
statusperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2003, 13:45   #7
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 20:02
Anyway, when the first patch is released the forum activity will surely increase...
Old April 3, 2003, 22:48   #8
billybaruch1
Chieftain

When I think of MoO3, I think of the Antaran X I (finally!) got after about 400 turns, and it didn't do anything.

I'm not interested in mods. I only want a patch. There is no point in not clicking turn because 1) there is no danger of losing a planet to the AI, and b) there is nothing to be gained by attacking a system and invading its planets. Also, the MM of ship design is hellishly boring. What else? So many things... The Leaders are only random, temporary bonuses about which the player has no (or very little) choice. Ship task forces, don't get me started. They travel at different speeds and that's a chore. They are mothballed, then magically re-created half a galaxy away? Mobilization Centers, what a concept.

Maybe if this game gets fixed (MoO4?), I'll try it again.

I'll play GalCiv before I click on those MOO3 "spreadsheet doors" [thunk!].

I find myself wanting to play Alpha Centauri some more. I'll give GalCiv another try soon. But it seems to have too much Constructor emphasis in the mid to late game. And the Cultural Victory seems wacko.

Is Civ3 a good game now with the patches? I thot it stunk at first.
billybaruch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2003, 00:06   #9
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by billybaruch1
I find myself wanting to play Alpha Centauri some more. I'll give GalCiv another try soon. But it seems to have too much Constructor emphasis in the mid to late game. And the Cultural Victory seems wacko.

Civ3 rules. Always has (well, since the first patch fixed the air superiority bug )

Cultural victory = Drengin space littered with McDonalds and Britney Spears albums. Yor give up war to watch American Idol. You know, its the Ugly American victory and the Arceans are as pissed as Frenchmen at the thought of GM foods ...
Old April 4, 2003, 00:28   #10
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by billybaruch1

Last first, yes CivIII is a good game.

Yes Galciv suffers from too much Constructors and Trade whoring, but it is playable. Reminds me of Starships Unlimited with going around grabbing all the artifacts and getting little bonuses.
Old April 4, 2003, 02:25   #11
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1

Last first, yes CivIII is a good game.
just don't try multiplayer
Old April 4, 2003, 03:12   #12
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower

just don't try multiplayer
Would not think of it.
Old April 4, 2003, 03:39   #13
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 00:02
Civ3 is still not my idea of a good game, so if you didn't like it first time round you may find it still does not appeal to you. It depends what you didn't like. They've certainly patched a lot of the bugs.

This forum was pretty quiet before the prerelease hysteria peaked. It should return to it now that most people have had their say about what they like or hate. As alexm says, there's not a huge amount to be said until the patch arrives and we can debate whether it does enough to improve the areas that are considered by the majority to be major weaknesses.
Old April 5, 2003, 05:14   #14
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by The Templar

Civ3 rules. Always has (well, since the first patch fixed the air superiority bug )

Cultural victory = Drengin space littered with McDonalds and Britney Spears albums. Yor give up war to watch American Idol. You know, its the Ugly American victory and the Arceans are as pissed as Frenchmen at the thought of GM foods ...
Actural Napolean won than culture victory other the British as how many people remember the british general who defeat Napolean at Waterloo compare to how many people
who know who Napolean was and what he did to improve culture in general. I donot eat McDonalds hamburge as their
taste like cardboard with Sh*t on it. Britney Spear have no musical talent at all like Paula Abdul than good Arab girl with
than great voice and other singer with talent.
Old April 5, 2003, 13:14   #15
Kc7mxo
King

yeah, but which guy spent the last of his days on an itty bitty island and which one spent them in a mansion?
Kc7mxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2003, 17:59   #16
Romanus
Call to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Well, Paula Abdul can dance and look cute..thats it......her singing talents are horrible. And she ends up a judge on a singing talent show(American Idol)....go figure.

Britney is an absolute babe and has a pretty(not great) voice.......

Sorry, couldnt let that pass.......did we stray off topic or what :-)
Romanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2003, 18:52   #17
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by CharlesBHoff
I donot eat McDonalds hamburge as their
taste like cardboard with Sh*t on it.
You think they taste that good?
Old April 7, 2003, 05:00   #18
Daz
Prince

Isnt it sometimes amusing and at the same time stunnig where a discussion can wander off?
Paula Abdul, McDonalds *sheesh*

Anyway. I am also secretly hoping that Moo3 is going to be ressurected by a good patch just like civ3 was.

QS: Patch!!!
Old April 7, 2003, 10:01   #19
Stuie
King

I'm waiting for the patch, passing my time playing Operational Art of War. Fun wargame.

Once the patch is out, I'm sure I'll be here more often. I took something like six months off from Civ3 until the better patches were in place, then played it like crazy. Hopefully MOO3 will be the same.
Stuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2003, 14:32   #20
H Tower

have any of you that have played moo3 looked at the patch info thread? does the patch look promising?
Old April 7, 2003, 15:27   #21
Stormhound
Prince

I think the patch looks promising, though by the time they're done jumping through all the IG hoops to get it out, it'll have lost a lot of impact (in terms of number of customers made happy).

C'est la vie.

Former member, MOO3 Road Kill...er, Crew
Stormhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2003, 02:55   #22
Daz
Prince

H Tower: they said they wont patch everything right away. Just the major stuff. SO probably no cosmetics. Just the PD problem, Gandhi AI behaviour and things like that. Also a decent manual.
Old April 8, 2003, 03:31   #23
statusperfect
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz
H Tower: they said they wont patch everything right away. Just the major stuff. SO probably no cosmetics. Just the PD problem, Gandhi AI behaviour and things like that. Also a decent manual.
The interface will be dealt with in the first patch.
Old April 8, 2003, 04:09   #24
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Kc7mxo
yeah, but which guy spent the last of his days on an itty bitty island and which one spent them in a mansion?
Napol is now than cultural Icon in history remember for the many great thing he did Like the Code of Napol , than inportant sciencist and cultural award the hightest in French which even than nonFrench person can win petty roution. Plus Napol spead the Metric Measurement System throught out Europe. The reactioner at the Counil at Veina was unable to end the Metric system as people want the ease of one standard measurement system. French alone has other 200 to 300 different pound weight in use and Germany alone has about 900 different pounds wieght some
heavy or lighter or the same as your local pound. Even the old man at the Council saw that one standard measurement
system is than good idear. England now use the Napol measurement system talking about cultural victory.
Old April 8, 2003, 04:58   #25
Daz
Prince

Quote:
Yes, work is in progress on a patch. We have no delivery date at this time. We are concentrating on the Military AI (offensive, defensive and build queue) and point defense problems, along with some UI glitches and any crash or easy to fix bugs. Changes which require any artwork are extremely unlikely for this patch.
UI glitches does not mean they are changing the interface. Just fix glitches....

Old April 8, 2003, 05:47   #26
statusperfect
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz

UI glitches does not mean they are changing the interface. Just fix glitches....

http://www.ina-community.com/forums/...postid=3673184

They mention additonal shortcuts and buttons so we dont need 1001 clicks to change a production queue. Everything will ge easier to reach. The main complaint has always been that you always have to drill down in UI levels to find things.

If you check the entire list you will see that the patch will be quite massive.
Old April 8, 2003, 06:00   #27
CharlesBHoff
Prince

There was once than game which have than 76 megbytes zip file size patch I willnot tell name. That was to fix than inventry problen in a role-playing game.
Old April 8, 2003, 06:04   #28
statusperfect
King

Quote:
Originally posted by CharlesBHoff
There was once than game which have than 76 megbytes zip file size patch I willnot tell name. That was to fix than inventry problen in a role-playing game.
Hilarious. PLeez tell which game it was.
Old April 8, 2003, 06:05   #29
Daz
Prince

Whooohooo! Thanks for the link. I see they changed their mind and they are doing a REAL patch now.
Old April 8, 2003, 08:14   #30
PDifolco
Civilization II Succession Games
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:02
Quote:
Originally posted by Daz
Whooohooo! Thanks for the link. I see they changed their mind and they are doing a REAL patch now.
Yes, it looks like they finally reach the end of betatest !
Maybe I'll buy it finally, but well I have GalCiv ...
PDifolco is offline   Reply With Quote