Old April 3, 2003, 12:56   #31
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 18:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
to the rescue of PFC Jessica Lynch

to Lincoln's constant insults and trolling to the people that are against the war
Old April 3, 2003, 13:17   #32
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 23:02
to Lexa
Old April 3, 2003, 13:18   #33
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 01:02
Local Date: November 2, 2010
well you know, that damsel in distress and those valiant knights are invading another country... and killing lots of people, the int. community isn't at all conveinced about the usefulness of that....

so... its obvious where we stand.

if that girl pushes a button to send a missile in a iraqi birth center again, kind of oputs a new twist on things doesnt it?
Old April 3, 2003, 13:27   #34
Garth Vader
King

Local Time: 17:02
This is a little OT, but still talking about POW's.

Where did the US hold it's vietnamese POW's during the war? I can't see them holding them in country, or taking them to the states.
Old April 3, 2003, 13:30   #35
Jac de Molay
Prince

Years of forced labor in manicure salons?
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old April 3, 2003, 13:40   #36
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 15:02
Re: Even anti-Americans should be able to cheer this rescue...
Quote:
Originally posted by Lincoln
How about it? Isn't this a great story? A bunch of angry yet caring men rescuing a damsel in distress. Kind of brings tears to your eyes doesn't it?
What brings tears to my eyes is the level of patronization and condescension towards a soldier who did her duty and beyond. PFC Lynch deserves respect for her professionalism and courage under fire - something for which she was only minimally trained, and for which she had no experience. She does not deserve to be condescended to by "men" who apparently have problems dealing with women as peers.
Old April 3, 2003, 13:43   #37
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Iraqi hospitals are GREAT! Amazingly high-tech, don't you think!? Obviously, the car battery found by the bed was there for....medicinal and humanitarian purposes.

I know, I know.....the people who have been saying they'll be glad when Americans start dying are prolly miffed that the Iraquis didn't just go ahead and off her.

As for me....I'm glad we found one alive! Wish we could have rescued the others tho....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old April 3, 2003, 15:11   #38
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

If her reported actions are confirmed she deserves the bronze or silver star. IMO, since she's from a non-combat unit the silver star is more appropriate.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old April 3, 2003, 15:33   #39
Chemical Ollie
King

MtG, one week ago you hoped she was dead and suggested her captors should face a war tribunal, all this without knowing anything about her faith.

Quote:
She may be "lucky," if you catch my drift, if she's dead.
We still don't know everything and I don't think we should know soon. If we know everthing within just a few days, it means the vulture media have chased her down in the hospital. Let's hope they let her at least recover before they start to plan the "Saving Private Lynch" movie.
Old April 3, 2003, 16:13   #40
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Saying she may be lucky if she's dead (if you catch his drift) = hoping she's dead?

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old April 3, 2003, 16:17   #41
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx
Saying she may be lucky if she's dead (if you catch his drift) = hoping she's dead?

-=Vel=-
Almost. But perhaps the difference between the two expressions is bigger for someone who has English as first language?

In any case, I did not mean to offend.
Old April 3, 2003, 16:21   #42
Velociryx
staff

No...no offense here....I was just.....struck by the statement.

Perhaps though, the translation between languages made it murky.....saying that she may be lucky if she's dead is simply pointing out that her fate at the hands of her captors (given the things they may do to her) would be worse than death....very different critter than hoping that she was not alive.

-=Vel=-
Old April 3, 2003, 18:36   #43
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Olaf Hårfagre
MtG, one week ago you hoped she was dead and suggested her captors should face a war tribunal, all this without knowing anything about her faith.

We still don't know everything and I don't think we should know soon. If we know everthing within just a few days, it means the vulture media have chased her down in the hospital. Let's hope they let her at least recover before they start to plan the "Saving Private Lynch" movie.
I didn't "hope" she was dead. In fact, I thought I made clear a lot depended on who in Iraq captured her, as to how she was treated, but the indications from the video (at least fove of seven dead executed) weren't good.

The treatment she would get at the hands of Iraqi regulars is a lot different than she would get from SRG or ISSS forces, and who knows with irregulars/militia, etc. She was apparently very lucky, and it at least seems she was captured or at least under the custody of a different group from the rest of the POWs/KIAs in the video.

Hospitalization wouldn't necessarily explain it, because SP4 Johnson and one other were also visibly wounded.

We don't know the particulars, but wrt the execution of those five (at least) POW's, and four more Marines whose bodies showed signs of torture and subsequent execution, yes, I hope there is a war crimes tribunal, and I expect there will be.

PFC Lynch was apparently extremely lucky. Hopefully the remainder of the POW's will be as well.
Old April 3, 2003, 18:55   #44
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Garth Vader
This is a little OT, but still talking about POW's.

Where did the US hold it's vietnamese POW's during the war? I can't see them holding them in country, or taking them to the states.
Almost all of them were turned over to the ARVNs.
Old April 3, 2003, 19:22   #45
CyberGnu
King

Quote:
Even anti-Americans should be able to cheer this rescue...
What about us pro-american anti-war people? Can we cheer to?
Old April 3, 2003, 19:33   #46
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberGnu

What about us pro-american anti-war people? Can we cheer to?
You could if you existed, but you don't. You're either with us or with the terrorists, remember? You're not given other options.
Old April 3, 2003, 19:41   #47
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 19:02
A bunch of angry yet caring men rescuing a damsel in distress.

Let violet be the colour of sexism
Please take off your violet-tinted glasses, Lincoln.

Kind of brings tears to your eyes doesn't it?

If she wasn't sexually abused, people opposing women in the military have just had one of their kneecaps broken. If her berzerker-like conduct is true, they are now missing both of their kneecaps.
Old April 3, 2003, 20:17   #48
CyberGnu
King

Quote:
You're not given other options.
Au Contraire, if you are truly pro-US, you are also anti-Bush
Old April 3, 2003, 21:15   #49
Lincoln
King

Re: Re: Even anti-Americans should be able to cheer this rescue...
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

What brings tears to my eyes is the level of patronization and condescension towards a soldier who did her duty and beyond. PFC Lynch deserves respect for her professionalism and courage under fire - something for which she was only minimally trained, and for which she had no experience. She does not deserve to be condescended to by "men" who apparently have problems dealing with women as peers.
Yeah, I admit it. I am part of the dying breed that still knows the difference between a man and a woman. You can have your unisex society. I still treat women like ladies and I don't give a **** what the latest PC, conformist ladyphobe (that's right, I made up a word) thinks about it.
Old April 3, 2003, 22:25   #50
Lincoln
King

More good news about the rescue:

Iraqi informer angered by treatment of POW By JUAN O. TAMAYO Knight Ridder Newspapers

MARINE COMBAT HEADQUARTERS, Iraq - The Iraqi man who tipped U.S. Marines to the location of American POW Jessica Lynch said Thursday he did so after he saw her Iraqi captor slap her twice as she lay wounded in a hospital.

"A person, no matter his nationality, is a human being," the tipster, a 32-year-old lawyer whose wife was a nurse at the hospital, said in an interview at Marines' headquarters, where he, his wife and daughter are being treated as heroes and guests of honor.

"He is an extremely courageous man who should serve as an inspiration to all of us to do the right thing," said Lt. Col. Rick Long, spokesman for the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force.

After he saw Lynch slapped, the lawyer slipped into her room at the Saddam Hospital in Nasiriyah and told her, "Don't worry." Then he walked six miles to the nearest U.S. Marines and told them where she was.

He later returned to the hospital, at the request of U.S. commanders, to map the facility and count how many Saddam Hussein loyalists were there.

A U.S. commando force whose name remains secret rescued Lynch early Wednesday local time. She was taken Thursday to Germany for treatment of injuries she suffered when she was captured.

The lawyer, whose first name is Mohammed and who asked that his last name not be published, smiled between every sentence as he recounted in broken but expressive English how he helped the Americans. He learned English at Basra University.

Wearing Marine hand-me-downs after fleeing with only the clothes on their backs, Mohammed, his wife Iman, 32, a nurse at Saddam Hospital, and 6-year-old daughter Abir, seemed surprisingly cheerful for a family on the run.

Grateful Leathernecks showered them with Marine unit patches, a commemorative coin and an American flag on their way to a refugee center near the port of Umm Qsar, where they hope to ride out the war.

"I love America. I like America. Why, I don't know," Mohammed said as he recounted the critical role he played in Lynch's rescue.

Iraqi President Saddam Hussein has long repressed Iraq's people with such a brutal grip that even with American troops at the gates to Baghdad many refuse to rise up against him out of fear that he will outlast the Americans.

But Mohammed's tale is one of a man who didn't like what he saw when he walked into the Saddam Hospital last Friday to visit his wife and was told by a doctor friend that an American woman POW was in the emergency ward.

The friend walked him to the ground-floor ward, taken over by the feared Saddam Fedayeen at the start of the war, and past a window where he saw Lynch, an Army private first class captured after her convoy became lost near Nasiriyah in the opening days of the war.

Her head was bandaged, her right arm was in a sling over a white blanket and she had what Mohammed thought was a gunshot wound to a leg. But her real problem then was the black-uniformed Fedayeen commander who everyone addressed as "colonel."

The man slapped her, Mohammed said. "One, two," he added, making single slapping and back slap motions with his right hand. She was very brave, he recalled.

"My heart cut," Mohammed added, meaning stopped, putting his hand over his chest and grimacing. "There, I have decided to go to Americans to give them important information about the woman prisoner."

He walked into her room with his doctor friend. "I said 'Good morning.' She thought I was a doctor. I say, 'Don't worry.' She smiled," he recalled.

Doctors treating Lynch wanted to amputate her leg, Mohammed said, but his doctor friend persuaded them not to. His friend, he said, "hates Saddam Hussein and hates security of Saddam Hussein."

Mohammed said he told his wife to take their daughter to his father's house for safety, and then set off on foot to find the American troops he had heard were occupying the edges of Nasiriyah.

"This was very dangerous for me because American soldiers shoot," he said, throwing up his hands in the air to show how he carefully approached what turned out to be the U.S. Marines.

He told them about the woman prisoner, and about a U.S. military uniform he had also seen, presumably of a U.S. soldier killed in the fighting in and around Nasiriyah, some of the heaviest of the war.

They asked him to return to the six-story, 234-bed hospital to gather information on its layout, its hallways, stairways and doors, its basement and whether a helicopter could land on its roof.

He walked back, with no taxis in sight, even as U.S. jets bombed parts of the city of more than 500,000 people. "Boom, boom. I walked under bombs. Fire, Fire," Mohammed recalled.

He did the same thing the next day to report back to the Marines.

There were 41 Fedayeen based at the hospital, with four guarding Lynch's room in civilian clothes but armed with AK-47 assault rifles and carrying radios.

"I drew them a map. I drew them five maps," he said, plainly relishing his cloak-and-dagger missions into the heart of Saddam's terror network.

Fedayeen raided his house the next day, he said, taking away all his possessions and even his car, a Russian-made Muscovitch Brazilia 680. He said a neighbor was shot and her body dragged through the streets just for waving at a U.S. helicopter.

"Very bad people," he said. "There is no kindness in my heart for them."

He got his family out of Nasiriyah on Tuesday night, hours before a task force of U.S. commandos rescued Lynch in a raid so noteworthy that the U.S. Central Command in Qatar called a 4:30 a.m. news conference to announce it.

Four American journalists who have had regular access to the Marines' combat operations center in southern Iraq were asked to stay away from the COC as the rescue operation was getting underway.

Mohammed and his family are now officially "temporary refugees."

After showers, Mohammed put on an oversized green Marine pullover, his wife put on one of the gray T-shirts that MTV donated to the Leathernecks and his daughter was covered to her knees in a green T-shirt from a Marine chemical warfare unit.

But Mohammed did not appear despondent, as his wife smiled and stayed shyly in the background and daughter Abir played with a neon-green illumination stick given to her by a Marine.

"I am very happy," he said, adding that his wife wants to work in a hospital helping Americans and that he is eager to help the Marines any way he can until he can return home to Nasiriyah and resume his normal life.

"In future, when Saddam Hussein down, I will go back to Nasiriyah because my house and office are there," he said. As for the Fedayeen, he said, "when Saddam Hussein down, I sure they go away."

"Believe me, not only I, all the people of Iraq, not the people in the government, like Americans," Mohammed said. "They want to help the Americans, but they are all afraid."
Old April 4, 2003, 00:17   #51
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: Even anti-Americans should be able to cheer this rescue...
Quote:

Yeah, I admit it. I am part of the dying breed that still knows the difference between a man and a woman. You can have your unisex society. I still treat women like ladies and I don't give a **** what the latest PC, conformist ladyphobe (that's right, I made up a word) thinks about it.
By "treating her like a lady" you are demeaning her and refusing to honor what she did. This was a woman who volunteered for the army, and when captured fought violently against her captors, preparing to go down shooting against the enemy. To call this strong woman a "damsel in distress" is an insult.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old April 4, 2003, 02:43   #52
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberGnu

Au Contraire, if you are truly pro-US, you are also anti-Bush
You're forgetting your place in the imperial scheme of things. We define your place for you.
Old April 4, 2003, 02:58   #53
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Re: Even anti-Americans should be able to cheer this rescue...
Quote:
I am part of the dying breed that still knows the difference between a man and a woman.
So do most of us. We just don't presume to dictate to women what "their place" is or should be. That's there's to choose, and if a woman's ambition is to stay at home, knit, have dinner ready by six and get her man a beer when he wants one, that's her choice and more power to her.

If she wants to join the Army, and she performs as required in her MOS, then more power to her. The point is that is is up to each individual to choose their own goals in life, it is not up to a bunch of patronizing whites, males, or any other group to define the place of others.

Quote:
You can have your unisex society.
What "unisex society?" You mean the one where women are allowed to choose what they want to do in their own lives?

Quote:
I still treat women like ladies and I don't give a **** what the latest PC, conformist ladyphobe (that's right, I made up a word) thinks about it.
There's a difference between treating a woman with consideration and courtesy, and being condescending and patronizing.
Old April 4, 2003, 03:07   #54
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 02:02
Quote:

Lincoln: I accept that women and men are different. But we are equal in value, and should be treated this way. In theory, a woman can stand up for herself just as good as a man.

It's not unisex PC crap. I want women to remain feminine, and men to remain masculine, but I don't like the element of power, and "me chief" being brought into this.
Old April 4, 2003, 03:12   #55
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

You're forgetting your place in the imperial scheme of things. We define your place for you.
The only empire Sweden has ever been a part of was our own. Americans can't say that, can you?
Old April 4, 2003, 03:41   #56
The Mad Monk
Emperor

We can't help it if nobody wanted you.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old April 4, 2003, 03:54   #57
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Olaf Hårfagre

The only empire Sweden has ever been a part of was our own. Americans can't say that, can you?
We were never conquered by another empire. Being founded by one and then superseding it is a bit different.
Old April 4, 2003, 03:56   #58
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 00:02
You think you've superseeded it, we are actually secretly still running things
Old April 4, 2003, 04:01   #59
dannubis
King

good for the young lady .... really, couldn't be happier for her ...
but what is happening to all the afghans you are detaining illegally at guantanamo bay, far away from the eyes of the cameras ?
Old April 4, 2003, 04:32   #60
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

We don't have any Afghans we're detaining illegally at Gitmo.