Old April 3, 2003, 11:38   #1
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 18:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Graduate School Plans
I am graduating in May from St. Ambrose University. After a few months of researching universities for graduate school, and then applying to a few of them, I have finally reached a decision.

I'm going to graduate school at Eastern Illinois University in Charleston. My future advisor in the History department there was also one of the reviewers of my application materials. He was impressed with my undergraduate capstone research paper, and is enthusiastic about my becoming a graduate student there this fall.

A couple of History departments here at St. Ambrose University, have complemented me on my excellent academic work in my various research papers, and book reviews, and one has said I am definitely ready for graduate school, since my writing is of graduate school level.

Plus, my volunteer work I have done at our local Putnam Museum in the archives has paid off. I have been accepted as an intern at Eastern Illinois University's Booth Library archives department. I will be working 20 hours a week, and my TUITION WILL BE WAIVED, plus I will be paid $700 a month.

I plan to move to Charleston, Illinois by late June if they want me to start working in July, or if not then, I will move in early August.

For my graduate school program, I plan to obtain my traditional MA, or I will change over to Historical Administration if I wish to move towards a career in a musuem, or some other public place. My primary goal is to become a professor, but due to the high competiveness for that field, I'm keeping other career options open.

In the traditional MA program, I plan to specialize in a specific area in American history of 1850's through 1880's -- more likely something in Civil War or Recostruction era.

So where is everyone else at? Are you in the middle of undergraduate school or graduate school? Or are you graduating this May too, and looking forward to your next step, whatever that may be?
Old April 3, 2003, 14:01   #2
MrFun
Emperor

I'm not the only college student on Apolyton -- I wanted to hear from others where they're at right now, and what their plans are.
Old April 3, 2003, 14:37   #3
Neutrino
Settler

I'm currently a senior at the Univeristy of Texas at Austin majoring in computer science and biology. I could graduate next semester with my CS degree, but I'm staying for another 2-3 semesters to finish up the biology one.

I'm planning on going to grad school although I haven't done too much research on them yet. So far, I have U of Washington (Seattle), UT (where I'm at now), maybe Texas A&M for monetary reasons. I think I'll go for a research Masters, and if I feel I have the work ethic after that, maybe a phD.

I want to specialize in bioinformatics/computational biology, maybe AI or neural networks -- though those are a bit math-intensive.
Old April 3, 2003, 15:15   #4
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 19:03
I'm gonna get a good job and be real rich, just like Bobby Brown.
Old April 3, 2003, 15:17   #5
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 16:03
MrFun,

The best place for you would be San Francisco: great city, great schools, great weather, and a great place for gays.
Old April 3, 2003, 15:22   #6
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 23:03
I'm still at an earlier stage, deciding where to go to do my Bachelors Degree. I've been convinced for ages that I want to go to Oxford (to do Economics and Management, although it's much maths too) and I love it there, but after going to Warwick, and seeing the course, it's a hard decision. Especially since Warwick offers MORSE (Maths, Operational Research, Statistics and Economics), which is a great course, and the best rated of its kind in Britain (top research and teching marks in all 4 departments IIRC)

Wherever I go, I'm much looking forward to next (academic) year I'm sure it'll be great

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old April 3, 2003, 15:38   #7
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by loinburger
I'm gonna get a good job and be real rich, just like Bobby Brown.

Hey, whatever trips your trigger.

And Lord Merciless, even though Charleston is a town in a rural region of SE Illinois, on campus, there is a somewhat strong organization for non-heterosexual students called Pride. I took a tour of the campus on the same trip I had the internship interview, and met with the advisor of Pride.

I think I will be happy in Charleston knowing I'm only going to live there temporarily, and knowing I'm on the right path with my goals.
Old April 3, 2003, 16:07   #8
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 02:03
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I am at my first year. a tad early to speak of this.

I'll probably go for a M.Sc. in Chemistry at the Technion-IIT, that or the Biotechnological Interdesciplinary program there.
Old April 3, 2003, 16:10   #9
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 01:03
the eh what?

i'm also in first year fekcing long way to go still...
Old April 3, 2003, 16:20   #10
Az
Emperor

If you didn't get this, you have to get a BA in english.
Old April 3, 2003, 17:59   #11
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 17:03
After graduating (last June) I wanted to join the foreign service, but as of today, my efforts were stimied. I was always planning a few years off between grad school and college, but right now I am in sort of limbo. It would be until next sept. that i would re-enter school, whcih still emans finding a job, but I have not been very sucessful at that, and I still am really undecided wht kind of job i would want.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old April 3, 2003, 18:18   #12
devilmunchkin
Warlord

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...0&pagenumber=1

mr. fun...good luck to you....try to hold on to the optimism no matter what.
"Speaking on the subject of conformity: This rotting concept of the unfathomable nostril mystifies the fuming crotch of my being!!! Stop with the mooing you damned chihuahua!!! Ganglia!! Rats eat babies!" ~ happy noodle boy
Old April 3, 2003, 18:40   #13
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Trajanus
the eh what?

i'm also in first year fekcing long way to go still...
Yeah, but you get to enjoy the experience of undergraduate college in the next few years.
Old April 3, 2003, 18:45   #14
Az
Emperor

I am studying in a technological/research university. I don't get to enjoy anything anyway, might do some real science in the meanwhile.
Old April 3, 2003, 18:59   #15
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
I am studying in a technological/research university. I don't get to enjoy anything anyway, might do some real science in the meanwhile.
In what scientific field?
Old April 3, 2003, 19:07   #16
Worthingtons
Prince

Sounds like things are working out for you. I'm currently Studying on a 3 year degree program and will not graduate for another 2 years. Like yourself I have a good part time job which pays my way by. I'd like to go over to Chicago when I finish my degree but I guess I'll have to wait and see.
Old April 3, 2003, 20:41   #17
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 17:03
Which university in Chicago? Northwestern, Depaul, UofChicago, UofIllinois/chicago?
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old April 3, 2003, 20:49   #18
C0ckney
King

Local Time: 00:03
still in my first year at swansea, reading law. if i come out with a first, i'll have a bash at the bar vocational course to become a barrister. if i get a 2-1, then i'll probably go for the lpc to become a solicitor. anything lower, i'll try and find the best job i can with what i get

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old April 3, 2003, 23:47   #19
nationalist
Warlord

I'm a junior at William and Mary. I'm planning on going to law school, but I'm not sure which one. I haven't taken my LSATs yet.
"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796
Old April 4, 2003, 00:06   #20
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by C0ckney
still in my first year at swansea, reading law. if i come out with a first, i'll have a bash at the bar vocational course to become a barrister. if i get a 2-1, then i'll probably go for the lpc to become a solicitor. anything lower, i'll try and find the best job i can with what i get
The bar? What's your favorite dri . . . oh, never mind.