Old April 3, 2003, 15:28   #1
fattysbox
Settler

Local Time: 23:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
ports for CIV3 PTW
Hello All,

I just became aware of the fact that PTW is a PAIN with multiplayer. My problem is opening the ports that are required to play PTW. Im pretty sure I'm behind a firewall/proxy since I am connecting to a university/institution...

I know this may seem like a very dump question, but could give any site/link on exactly how to open these port on a WinXP machine???

I am sure someone will comeback with a duh response, but I'm dyin' to play this frikin game...

Jay
Old April 3, 2003, 16:17   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 18:04
duh.

if your university is blocking the ports, you have to ask them to open them.

if you are behind a router (say, one in your room) you have to enter the router's setup utility to open the ports.

one way to know if you're behind a router:
start > run
cmd
ipconfig

you'll get something like this:
Quote:
Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.3
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
if your IP Address starts off with a 192, or a 10, you're behind a router. there are other numbers too, but rarely used.

anyway, if you are behind a router, theres some way to change ports, usually called "port fowarding". most of the newer routers have a web based application to set this up. take your ip address, change the last # to a 1, and open that link in your web browser. it will take you to the router web app. look in the manual or ask a friend to go from there.

if you're not behind a router, you might have a firewall. depending on which firewall you use, the way to enable soem ports varies.

i'll assume (probably incorrectly) that you might have the WinXP crappy firewall turned on. start > settings > control panel > network connections.

right click on the connection you use to get to the net (hopefully a LAN connection if you want to play PTW ) and go to properties.

click the advanced tab, check if the itnernet connection firewall is on. if it is, turn it off, as i don't know how to configure it myself. other firewalls allow you to pick ports to be sueable, or applications that can use any port. check to see if you're running any firewalls (zonealarm, black ice defender, some norton thing) and find some help about your specific thing.

if neither of those are the problem, it's probably your university's fault. my friend at George Washignton University cannot host, for soem reason, even after he checked everything i listed above.

good luck, and happy civing.
Old April 3, 2003, 17:29   #3
fattysbox
Settler

Hey man thanks a lot for the duh info...

As for the crap that I have to do to get the right ports open, that is a serious pain.

Did Firaxis not think of this when developing PTW? Sales from this are going to be horrible, and I will feel as if I wasted my cash if the institution that I am at cannot help me...

Thanks,

J
Old April 3, 2003, 18:41   #4
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by fattysbox
Hey man thanks a lot for the duh info...

As for the crap that I have to do to get the right ports open, that is a serious pain.

Did Firaxis not think of this when developing PTW? Sales from this are going to be horrible, and I will feel as if I wasted my cash if the institution that I am at cannot help me...

Thanks,

J
1. sales for PTW are remarkable, considering how bugged it was.
2. ALL games that use MP need ports to open
Old April 3, 2003, 19:44   #5
fattysbox
Settler

Well I understand that point, but the platform seems difficult to use if one of its BIGGEST selling point was the multiplayer capacity...

Seems crazy that all the other PC games I have (for MP) work great (maybe a simple view) such as Jedi Knight 2, Starcraft, and Warcraft. Sorry but when many other games work so well this is one logical conclusion.

The big question is: the people who buy the game and provide the big sales for PTW, are they REALLY aware of MP difficulties? I wonder if Firaxis has a comment on this.

Old April 3, 2003, 20:13   #6
WarpStorm
King

Most of the ports are due to their use of GameSpy. A Direct IP connection needs less ports opened.

In addition, DirectX 9 automatically opens and shuts the ports for many people (myself included).
Old April 4, 2003, 22:58   #7
Rommel2D
staff
Civilization III PBEMIron Civers

The Port Magic program (http://www.gamespyarcade.com/helpers...hop/portmagic/) handles alot of the port management hassles automatically. It allowed me to join from behind a router, although I've been unable to successfully host so far.

Last edited by Rommel2D; April 5, 2003 at 16:21.
Old April 5, 2003, 12:56   #8
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 01:04
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Do you know f DirectIP games work?
Old April 6, 2003, 00:47   #9
Rommel2D
staff
Civilization III PBEMIron Civers

Quote:
Do you know f DirectIP games work?
Are you asking about fatty's setup or mine? I've yet to try direct IP. The firmware on my router is out of date, so I'm hoping that's what is causing the hosting problems.
Old April 6, 2003, 01:24   #10
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 19:04
I use a router. I find it more than a little annoying that I have to open up my computer to the internet just to play MP. I assume it is just as annoying if you're behind a firewall. All I know is that this is not necessary for every other game I've played over the internet.

Dominae