Old April 3, 2003, 18:01   #1
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 19:05
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Anyone know how these things work?
Can you bomb a planet till it has no population? IOW not send troops, just whack it?

How does one determine if the planet can be defeated? IOW how to tell what I need to have to take it down. Defeat any ships and ground troops?

How do you determine what the impact is on many of the events that they want votes on? I mean native life forms, should they be stomp them -bc, sort of stomp them -bc,
leave them alone? I sort of get the idea that I am suppose to take the Peta view or be label cruel, but often the choice is not even clear. I am not sure what my choice should be and why.

What exactly does a manufacture plant do for me? Yes it says +25%, but what does that mean? How can I determine if the maint is worth it on that planet?

How should I determine if I should sell/trade a given tech? When? to whom? How much is it worth?
I mean I wonder about the astuteness of selling of weapons or trade tech?

Should I create SB's in a system with no resources?

Anyone have any thoughts on any of these item? Thanks.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2003, 18:49   #2
Kinjiru
lifer
The Courts of Candle'BreCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueMacSpore
King

Local Time: 18:05
Wow, that was a pretty full post there friend.

I will attempt to address some of the items you raised.

"Can you bomb a planet till it has no
population? IOW not send troops, just whack it?"

Yes, unless you want to take control of it. Then you have to use ground troops.

"How do you determine what the impact is
on many of the events that they want votes
on? I mean native life forms, should they be
stomp them -bc, sort of stomp them -bc,
leave them alone? I sort of get the idea that
I am suppose totake the Peta view or be label
cruel, but often the choice is not even clear. I
am not sure what my choice should be and why."

Your choice should depend on how you want to play. Want to be 'good' then take the good choice. You will not get any bonuses immediately from the event, but down the road some research options open up for you that nuetral or evil players will not have access to. In a similiar vein, if you wanna be a nasty old dictator (a la Palpatine) then take the evil choice. You get immediate benefits and some evil tech later, but you will likely find yourself beset by goody-two shoes empires.

"What exactly does a manufacture plant do for
me? Yes it says +25%, but what does that mean?
How can I determine if the maint is worth it on
that planet?"

My response here is going to be merely anecdotal, I haven't worked the numbers to be sure. What I notice is that when I start out a new planet, it usually takes about 50 turns to churn out a constructor. The same planet (if no growth) will be able to turn them out remarkably faster once a Manufacturing Center is built.

"How should I determine if I should sell/trade a
given tech? When? to whom? How much is it worth?
I mean I wonder about the astuteness of selling
of weapons or trade tech?"

The answer here is exactly the same as it is for every other civ-type game. If you want to get through the tree faster you will need to barter tech. The noticeable difference in GalCiv is that you can actually support your entire empire just on the basis of trading tech (provided your research rate is high enough). The key to doing so is the minor civs. They are generally more amenable to favorabel deals (favorable for you, moreso than them).

"Should I create SB's in a system with no resources?"

Absolutely, starbases are the key to victory. You can extend your cultural influence with SB, in fact, you almost have to if you want to win via this path. You should also build some military SBs in sectors in which you anticipate fighting, i.e. choose your battle ground. You should also build trade boosting SBs along your trade routes. And remember, multiple SB in a sector stack and reinforce each other.

Hope some of that was helpful!
Kinjiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2003, 18:59   #3
vmxa1
Deity

Yes, thanks that is about what I had presumed, but wanted to hear some say it.
The only thing I have a problem with is I am not always sure what the "good" choice is, sometimes they offer two choices that are -something. I guess the one that is the most painful is the "good" one.
The trade whoring is one of the things I did not care for in CivIII, it was over done and GalCiv offers more of it.
I would like to see it toned down, maybe only one trade allowed in a given time frame.
Old April 3, 2003, 19:38   #4
vee4473
King

Local Time: 18:05
It does seem that the best route is to just carry over your methods from any other civ type game.

I haven't tried building starbases where there are no resources yet. And the moral thing seems straightforward enough (a "good", "neutral" and "evil" option to sculpt your empire's moral rating.

Although I agree that I have yet to see any long term moral effects.

The starbases and moral system are unique, but as far as how to tell whether it's worth it to trade a tech or build a manufacturing plant, well, the answer lies within whatever you do in other civ type games.
Old April 3, 2003, 19:56   #5
unic
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Re: Anyone know how these things work?
Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1

What exactly does a manufacture plant do for me? Yes it says +25%, but what does that mean? How can I determine if the maint is worth it on that planet?
I would suggest reading http://www.galciv.com/docs/undocs.html for better understanding how the industry and economy bonuses work in the game.

Basically, it allows you to spend more money (bc) on industrial production (2/3 of the effect), and gives you a small bonus for free (1/3) of the effect).

/unic
unic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2003, 21:16   #6
Eric S
Warlord

Local Time: 15:05
Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
Yes, thanks that is about what I had presumed, but wanted to hear some say it.
The only thing I have a problem with is I am not always sure what the "good" choice is, sometimes they offer two choices that are -something. I guess the one that is the most painful is the "good" one.
The trade whoring is one of the things I did not care for in CivIII, it was over done and GalCiv offers more of it.
I would like to see it toned down, maybe only one trade allowed in a given time frame.
The top one is always what the game considers "Good", the middle "Neutral", and the bottom "Evil". There are a few cases where the descriptions leave room for interpretation, at least between Good and Neutral, but Evil is seldom confusing, as they had too much fun writing those responses.
Eric S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2003, 00:37   #7
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric S

The top one is always what the game considers "Good", the middle "Neutral", and the bottom "Evil". There are a few cases where the descriptions leave room for interpretation, at least between Good and Neutral, but Evil is seldom confusing, as they had too much fun writing those responses.
That seems about right.