Old April 4, 2003, 02:35   #61
LoneWolf
Settler

Local Time: 17:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Resigned or whatever, she was clearly expressing the commonly held view.
Old April 4, 2003, 02:35   #62
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 19:06
I never said she was sorry. But she felt the need to make nice. Otherwise she might not have been on the Liberal rolls next election.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old April 4, 2003, 02:36   #63
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Frogger

"Resigned" my ass.

So did Paul Martin, depending on who you believe.

It just looks better than a firing.
A public servant is not the worst of our problems. The worst of our problems are in the Commons.

And you sure as hell can fire a back bencher. The Liberals are expert at firing those who don't tow their line. It's called a quick trip out of caucus.
Old April 4, 2003, 02:36   #64
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by LoneWolf
Whereas your congressmen don't bother to resign. They just wallow in their own crapulence.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old April 4, 2003, 02:38   #65
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

A public servant is not the worst of our problems. The worst of our problems are in the Commons.

And you sure as hell can fire a back bencher. The Liberals are expert at firing those who don't tow their line. It's called a quick trip out of caucus.
And there are easier ways to bring pressure. How much do you want to bet she got an earful from the Liberal whip?

Tossing a member out would make it a pretty big deal (you have to really **** up to get this)

Like I said, if she'd remained unrepentant the Liberals would have run a new candidate in her riding next go around.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old April 4, 2003, 02:39   #66
LoneWolf
Settler

Quote:

Whereas your congressmen don't bother to resign. They just wallow in their own crapulence.
And they should resign why?
Old April 4, 2003, 02:42   #67
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Like I said, if she'd remained unrepentant the Liberals would have run a new candidate in her riding next go around.
She did. I saw it.

She played to the crowd in Toronto with great aplomb.

I will look forward to her not running as a Liberal next time.
Old April 4, 2003, 02:43   #68
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 07:06
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:

And they should resign why?

Anyways, this whole story is a bit hard to believe. I mean we got some Americans going to a peewee hockey tournament and they get insulted, BUT there is no mention of any hockey parents screaming abuse. The idea that the hockey parents were the most civilized and well-behaved people there is just to far-fetched.
Old April 4, 2003, 02:44   #69
KrazyHorse
Deity

Do you really want me to dig up some of the **** that been put out by a number of them recently? Do a search on Poly if you're interested.

IIRC, the Americans here simply said that they don't represent the majority viewpoint. Which I respect. But if so, then where is the pressure to force an apology?
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old April 4, 2003, 02:45   #70
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:

She did. I saw it.

She played to the crowd in Toronto with great aplomb.

I will look forward to her not running as a Liberal next time.
She said what she had to say. Whether she believed it or not is a different question. Appearances have been satisfied.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old April 4, 2003, 02:48   #71
LoneWolf
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Tingkai

Anyways, this whole story is a bit hard to believe. I mean we got some Americans going to a peewee hockey tournament and they get insulted, BUT there is no mention of any hockey parents screaming abuse. The idea that the hockey parents were the most civilized and well-behaved people there is just to far-fetched.
Well, I guess this is the cleaned-up Canandian version. From what I read, the parents were appalled. Even the ref was on them.
But anyway, it was the French part of Canada, what can you expect.
But it doesn't all matter too much, it just shows what sort of thing we can expect from our "friends".
Old April 4, 2003, 02:50   #72
notyoueither
Deity

If you want principles, Frogger, go to Westminster.

If you want to witness craven behaviour, tune into our Commons. It is our own fault. We don't demand better, and we vote by parties, not on the candidates.

We have the worst of the two worlds. A parliamentary democracy based entirely on party lines. And the parties are allowed to excuse some pretty outrageous behaviour.
Old April 4, 2003, 02:55   #73
LoneWolf
Settler

Quote:
Do you really want me to dig up some of the **** that been put out by a number of them recently? Do a search on Poly if you're interested.

IIRC, the Americans here simply said that they don't represent the majority viewpoint. Which I respect. But if so, then where is the pressure to force an apology?
I'm assuming this is directed toward me. I wouldn't agree that that the "****" they put out does not represent the majority viewpoint. On the contrary, they know their constituents very well..

As for the Canadian soldiers killed, that was very tragic, but these things happen in war, and it is ludicrous to say anyone should be prosecuted.
Old April 4, 2003, 02:56   #74
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
You know what? You're right. Americans are bastards. Bush is a moron.

Actually, I and most people here would only agree with one of those statements. I'll leave it to you to decide which.

Hey, buttmunch: we were there for you when you got rammed in the ass by a bunch of ****wits in an airplane. We sent our troops to Afghanistan and watched them get bombed by an idiot in an F16. We saw your President neglect to even mention the incident the next day until the issue was directly put to him in a press conference. We watched the pilots receive a get out of jail free card, despite their manifest stupidity. We saw the most protectionist president in 20 years try to **** us in the ass. We watched that same President start on unnecesary war by pissing on the graves of 3000 innocent people for political ends. We watched him bumble about like a bull in a china shop, traipsing from one screwup to another. We've watched scaremongering and hatemongering directed at us and anybody else who doesn't see eye-to-eye with the US for a year. We've seen all of this, and some of the bigger idiots among us have chosen to express their discontent through inappropriate means. They've been chastised if they were public figures, and marginalised if they weren't.

We're waiting for some civility to start trickling in from your end again.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old April 4, 2003, 02:59   #75
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:

I'm assuming this is directed toward me. I wouldn't agree that that the "****" they put out does not represent the majority viewpoint. On the contrary, they know their constituents very well..
Exactly. And that's the difference between us (so far, thankfully) and you (and to a lesser extent some Euros).

Quote:
As for the Canadian soldiers killed, that was very tragic, but these things happen in war, and it is ludicrous to say anyone should be prosecuted.
Bullshit. Sometimes those things happen. That doesn't excuse every incident. And the circumstances were such that a lobotomised monkey should have known not to attack.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old April 4, 2003, 02:59   #76
LoneWolf
Settler

Civility, you say?
Old April 4, 2003, 03:01   #77
KrazyHorse
Deity

Yes, buttmunch.

Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old April 4, 2003, 03:07   #78
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:

Actually, in the interests of balance...

It is rather strange that Americans expect our unquestioning support in the face of what your government is doing trade wise.

How do you expect our government to react when they are paying UI benefits to unemployed loggers because some of your more protectionist tendancies are being humoured?

What about grain? The US recently slapped a tarrif on grain FFS. You and the Euros have the biggest stakes in government subsidies for farmers, and ours are wondering when the bombing will stop. Never you mind the drought that makes it next to impossible to grow a crop. Then, to add insult to injury, some twits in your country get some other twits to agree that Canadian farmers most likely are engaged in unfair trading practices. With what crop!? Man! If that don't take the cake. There are some morons, I feel safe in saying that.
Old April 4, 2003, 03:14   #79
KrazyHorse
Deity

Anyhoo, NYE: I certainly hope that you don't think I condone hatemongering. It's not a valid response, as tempting as it is sometimes. But I'm not overly concerned about it here. From what I've seen a lot of the rest of the world has had it worse than us (they've started to enjoy themselves rather than fight against it). The other Commonwealth countries seem to be the reasonable ones thus far (plus, I'm sure, some of the smaller Euro countries). Britain's had some French-bashing but it's been kept under control, and the Aussies are holding up decently too...
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old April 4, 2003, 03:24   #80
LoneWolf
Settler

Who said anything about "unquestioning support"? I'm fine with Canadians, and the French, and any others being our adversaries if they so choose.
But as ye sow, so shall ye reap.
Old April 4, 2003, 03:31   #81
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Who said anything about "unquestioning support"? I'm fine with Canadians, and the French, and any others being our adversaries if they so choose.
But as ye sow, so shall ye reap.
Very understanding of you.

Maybe we should shut off the gas as a measure in trade negotiations and see how much you want to reap?

Maybe Ming and everyone else in Chicago can burn wood.
Old April 4, 2003, 03:32   #82
KrazyHorse
Deity

I like your style, NYE.

Kills two birds with one stone...
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old April 4, 2003, 03:36   #83
LoneWolf
Settler

OK.
Old April 4, 2003, 03:38   #84
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
OK.
OK.
Old April 4, 2003, 03:40   #85
LoneWolf
Settler

Quote:

Very understanding of you.

Maybe we should shut off the gas as a measure in trade negotiations and see how much you want to reap?

Maybe Ming and everyone else in Chicago can burn wood.
So its not enough for you for us to acknowledge that you have every right to your own views? But to also say that those views may have consequences. We must actually agree with you, or we are "arrogant"?
Old April 4, 2003, 03:46   #86
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 07:06
Local Date: November 2, 2010
When we helped you out in Afghanistan and in the Persian Gulf, how did the US respond?
Old April 4, 2003, 03:48   #87
KrazyHorse
Deity

Ding ding!

By increasing tariffs and refusing to listen to anybody on the subject of Iraq (even his own poodle)?
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old April 4, 2003, 03:49   #88
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:

So its not enough for you for us to acknowledge that you have every right to your own views? But to also say that those views may have consequences. We must actually agree with you, or we are "arrogant"?
Snooze. I don't see us threatening to raise trade barriers because you went into Iraq without US approval.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old April 4, 2003, 03:52   #89
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:

I said nothing about arrogant. I did ask how practical your government is being in expecting my government to be unquestionably loyal in the face of paying unemployment insurance to victims of your governments quaint views on 'free' trade.

But, now that you mention it, I would say it is fairly arrogant to expect that no matter what sort of trade stick your government whacks my country with, we will be there for you, like a loyal poodle.

I have news for you. Canadians are not your poodles.
Old April 4, 2003, 04:11   #90
Daz
Prince

Local Time: 23:06
Whoa, just saw this thread...!

Are our american brothers really surprised that a predominantly french city dislikes them?

They incite their population against the french just because they dont agree on foreign policy. They start spilling french wine and other nonsense and now they are all "appaled" how the people in Canada respond?

We have a saying in my country for such behaviour (probably doesnt sount that good when translated into english):

Isnt it the turkey wondering where all the **** came from...