Old April 4, 2003, 00:21   #1
Worthingtons
Prince

Local Time: 23:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Best Start ever??
Take a look at this folks, I know it's not cow filled Grassland exactly, But in a luxury sense can you get any better??

You'll notice London with all the cows, well that incense is right next to it, a couple of furs to the north west, and to the extreme west you'll notice there's a patch of spices!!! - Up North is mainly grassland with No AI around, and to the East is a beutiful Coast to fill.
Only problem is I got Lincoln down there, and apparently he's got 4 cities already (I give the AI a few free workers to combat my REXing).

I'll keep you posted, but this is about the best starting posistion I have ever had.
Old April 4, 2003, 00:25   #2
Worthingtons
Prince

Here it is, didnt seem to work last time...
Old April 4, 2003, 05:51   #3
Jarvin
Chieftain

London didnt show up...
Old April 4, 2003, 06:35   #4
Worthingtons
Prince

What am i talking about , I meant with all the wines (there's more just off the edge of the screen.
Old April 4, 2003, 08:03   #5
yxhuvud
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:06
Local Date: November 2, 2010
No offense, but while that was a good start, it wasn't phenomenal.

The best start I remember was, playing the persians, and getting six or seven cows on grassland + river, between the first city and the second city, with like 3 tiles between..

And to make it even more silly, the first city also had iron within its perimeter..
Old April 4, 2003, 09:59   #6
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 19:06
Why did you mine the plains cow? Under despotism, that mine has no effect. Irrigate it.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 4, 2003, 11:19   #7
Worthingtons
Prince

yxhuvud - Guess it comes down to the poll in the other thread, some want cows on rivers, some like Luxuries.

Arrian - I was waiting for something like this, i was expecting my road to somehow come under fire but didnt realise what i did with the mine. My problem is that I'm always bothered about irrigating grassland but forget it applies to shields&mines too :s
Old April 4, 2003, 11:54   #8
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Maybe I'm a picky person. I definitely wouldn't put this as an ideal starting location. When I'm playing a civ that I know I might struggle with (militaristic and expansionist in particular) I like to start on a river near either cows AND grapes or plenty of game.

For a civ such as the English, that can't rush anything in particular, I'd probably hold off for an even better starting position - though what you got doesn't seem bad. It is nice to have those luxuries close to each other. But the absence of rivers near them bugs me.

Sincerely,
Picky Boy
Old April 4, 2003, 12:25   #9
DaveMcW
Prince

Local Time: 18:06
Here's my best start. Yes, one of those hills does have iron. (You only get the settler under vanilla civ3 though.)
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	persian_conquest.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	41599  
Old April 4, 2003, 16:04   #10
Ephesos
MacNever Ending Stories
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:06
DaveMcW, nice start. And something I've been meaning to ask: what is vanilla civ 3? I don't know if I have it, but if not, then your settler comment isn't true: you just have to be an expansionist civ.

Rothy, one problem with your start. You don't seem to have much in the way of food-filled land. Also, the large amounts of luxuries will probably mean few strategic resources. I'd say that start is pretty average, since I've had groups of eight silks in one spot before .
Old April 4, 2003, 16:12   #11
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Yes, I love huge silk-filled forests... second only to grape-covered plains and grassland...

You don't need to be expanionist to get a second settler. You need to have NO SETTLERS ACTIVE or IN PRODUCTION. You also need to have less than the current average number of cities per civ.

I played as Spain not too long ago, and by switching settlers under production temporarily to something else before I popped a goody hut, got 2 free settlers. Arguably, these settlers gave me the lead I needed to get ahead in the game.
Old April 4, 2003, 16:22   #12
Ephesos
MacNever Ending Stories
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:06
Thanks for clearing that up.
Old April 4, 2003, 19:01   #13
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Vanilla Civ3 means the original Civ3, with no rules modifications (except ones with the patch). Basically, it's Civ3 with the 1.29f patch.
Old April 4, 2003, 21:59   #14
Worthingtons
Prince

I know it's bad lighting but you might be able to tell - I have grassland to the other side of my capital (2 or 3 wheat's in there too) . I showed the west side because of all the luxuries there really.

I can see how people would sniff at that start with the attraction people have to river filled grassland. I once had another that i mentioned to people when i was a newbie as Rome, Rome itself has 8 cows if i rememebr rightly and a couple of fish, as well as the usual river and shielded Grassland. I didnt consider that as good a game since when you ventured about 10 turns from the capital it was Jungle everywhere (and coast the other way, hence the fish)

Cheers,Matt
Matt
Old April 5, 2003, 02:05   #15
epics
Warlord

Local Time: 00:06
DaveMcW what did you do to this cows? I mean have you got them only to Persepolis or you built another city near them?
I always have that problem, what to do with so many resources close each other.
Old April 5, 2003, 06:08   #16
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 01:06
Rothy, one of the reasons why I don't pick that start as the best one (it's decent of course), is that I think you had to settle a floodplain. I prefer to keep cities away from floodplains, it gives disease without any extra food. Disease with 3 food under despotism isn't a bad deal, but 'free' disease? No thanks.

If you irrigate the cow, it can be a nice place to start, though, but I like Dave's spot better

DeepO
Old April 5, 2003, 12:47   #17
badams52
King

Local Time: 15:06
I think most people on the strat forum given the opportunity of 4 cows on grasslands close to each other will build another city close and try and spit it for 2 cows/city. The advantage here lies in getting 2 settler factories going for an unbelievable REX phase.

Without being able to see the rest of the map, settling a city one tile NE of the hill with a river will give you all 4 between 2 cities without the need for cultural expansion. On the other hand, since this is the capitol which will expand in 10 turns anyway, going SE from the same hill looks like an Ideal spot to me for the 2nd city. You clear jungle and inherit all 4 cows like the capitol.

And you could always disband/starve out the second city later if you wanted the super capitol.

The only thing that can make Persiopolis better would be to have coal on the other hill making an IW city!
Old April 10, 2003, 21:03   #18
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Best. Start. Ever.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	beststart.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	42191  
Old April 10, 2003, 21:37   #19
Nakar Gabab
ACDG The Human Hive
Warlord

Dude! Look at that unforested game! And that mountain! You lucky bastard, you.
Old April 10, 2003, 21:44   #20
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Nice Trip...
Old April 10, 2003, 22:01   #21
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

I actually just got this one today. This kind of thing happens so often, I think the RNG is just mocking me now.
Old April 10, 2003, 22:36   #22
badams52
King

Local Time: 15:06
I would mention the Aeson thread, but you've probably seen it

Unfortunately, the linked images are no longer there, but if you look at the download...