Old April 20, 2004, 21:08   #31
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Zeiter, you look like a great Spartan. Why don't you join our glorious faction in the next Alpha Centauri Democracy Game?
Old April 21, 2004, 14:47   #32
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 23:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
I redid it last night. Its actually 2114 or 2115.

Land transport = 20 mins

10 free + 4 turns at 3 mins/turn

Colony pod = 30 mins ( I had a brain cramp and remembered it as 20) thats 2 min carryover and 10 turns at 3 mins/turn

Total turns for 2 pods = 14 turns or 2114 ish 2115 ish course you can rush it a bit.

By the by, setting the colony pods takes 2 turns via transport. In place by 2116 ish.

Move transport onto coast. in prvious turn. Move pod onto transport Hit "L". move transport one square. Next turn Move transport another square. Activate Pod and hit "B" Pod set in 2 turns regardless of terrain (saving bounces from fungus)

Good catch Jam. Regardless, tho' its comparable IMO to most other factions.
I'm sorry Ogie, but I'm not entirely convinced still... With nice terrain (or even with Morgan and rushed Tanks) I'm looking to plant that 3rd base in 2110-11, which is a significant leap. Its nearly 50% faster, which means a LOT against Human opponents.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old April 21, 2004, 16:41   #33
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

I agree Morgie outdoes Pirates, but you'll find with Pirates you get the pod out as soon as you trip over size 2 with the method I describe. Now granted you trip over to size two later due to growth penalty.

I suppose other factions may have an edge as well if they are able to pop a pod out as soon as they roll over to size 2.

But don't forget the fact that you also trima turn or two by using the tranpsort vs. having the pod move onits own (unless on a river that is).

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe; April 21, 2004 at 17:01.
Old April 21, 2004, 17:08   #34
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

True, very true.

But still... even one or two turns faster gives the edge to the non-pirate faction.

But hey - fast ICS isn't the Pirate's "thing" anyway.

Using an infantry transport to build land bases certainly speeds things along though

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old April 21, 2004, 20:36   #35
Zeiter
ACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data Angels
King

Local Time: 17:08
I think joining the Spartan Team would be awesome! Although I don't have SMAX, so I don't think I'd really be of much help.
Old April 21, 2004, 23:10   #36
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 10:08
Ebay

Cheap and has several available.
Old April 22, 2004, 03:59   #37
Sikander
King

Local Time: 16:08
Quote:
Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
I agree Morgie outdoes Pirates, but you'll find with Pirates you get the pod out as soon as you trip over size 2 with the method I describe. Now granted you trip over to size two later due to growth penalty.
(Emphasis mine)

Ogie,

Don't the Pirates start off with a 50% food bonus in their base square due to the free tanks? If so than they should be able to grow more quickly to two than their opponents if they can get that one worked tile to two nutrients.
Old April 22, 2004, 07:59   #38
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeiter
I think joining the Spartan Team would be awesome! Although I don't have SMAX, so I don't think I'd really be of much help.
Even if you couldn't join into extensive gameplay discussions, there's always the roleplay fun. The more people, the better!
Old April 22, 2004, 09:01   #39
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sikander

(Emphasis mine)

Ogie,

Don't the Pirates start off with a 50% food bonus in their base square due to the free tanks? If so than they should be able to grow more quickly to two than their opponents if they can get that one worked tile to two nutrients.
Yep but more often than not the first worked square is a coastal square tielding 1 nut. Total nuts for base is 4 which is comparable to a lucky start for most normal factions and comparable to a bad start for Morgie with the bought tanks. Remember tho' that Morgie usually buys his tanks around 2105-6 ish after discovery of biogenetics.

really depends on the start and whether a standard fction gets a +2 nut square like a monolith

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old April 22, 2004, 09:03   #40
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

Put off those sunglasses, soldier boy! Those are Angel issued!!

SMAC(X) Marsscenario