View Poll Results: Pick THREE options. The system is NEW - Read my post for further info.
Level 1: Digital Sentience 8 17.78%
Level 1: Centauri Genetics 8 17.78%
Level 1: Frictionless Surfaces 0 0%
Level 1: Probability Mechanics 2 4.44%
Level 2: Self-Aware Machines (requires DigSent) 8 17.78%
Level 2: Sentient Econometrics (requires DigSent) 6 13.33%
Level 2: Quantum Power (requires FricSurf) 5 11.11%
Level 2: Centauri Psi (requires CentGen) 6 13.33%
Level 2: Nanometallurgy (requires ProbMech) 2 4.44%
Write-in 0 0%
Temporal Xenobananas 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 5, 2003, 11:07   #1
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 02:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Official: Tech Poll (Repoll)
The poll will timeout in TWO (2) DAYS.

A repoll, as the earlier poll was invalid - it was won by Centauri Psi, but it wasn't even mentioned in the poll that we'd need to research Centauri Genetics first.

I am going to use you as guineapigs try out a new system, so read the explanation carefully.

There will be two kinds of technologies polled. Level 1 techs and Level 2 techs. The idea behind this split is, that level 2 techs are technologies that require one of the level 1 techs. In other words, to research a Level 2 tech, we must research a Level 1 technology first. Note that I won't include Level 2 techs that require two Level 1 techs, as that would make things a bit too complicated.

Now, how will this be implemented in the poll?

Out of the choices, vote for three options. Three is the number of the voting, and the number of the voting shall be three.

You can vote for three Level 1 techs, three Level 2 techs, or any combination of the two; just vote three options.

Now, how do we interpret the results? This is where it gets tricky.

When I compile the orders, I will look at what option came first. If it is a Level 1 tech, no problem. We will research that first. If it is a Level 2 tech, I will order to research the needed Level 1 tech first and then the Level 2 tech right after.

Now, the votes of a Level 1 tech will not be added to the votes of the Level 2 option that requires the same Level 1 tech. If the poll is won by a Level 1 tech, and the runner-up is a Level 2 tech, I will order to research the Level 1 tech first, then the Level 1 tech needed for the preferred Level 2 tech, and then the Level 2 tech.

That way, if someone wants us to just research a Level 1 tech and then another Level 1 tech, his vote will not be used to research something he didn't necessarily want to research.

By all means, do ask, please, if you want to know something; I might have omitted something crucial. And do so preferrably before you vote, to avoid any confusion.

The purpose of the Tech Level system is to allow for the people to opt for beelining into a Level 2 tech if they find it necessary. I deviced this system so that the people could have influence on the course of research.

Edit - for further reference, techs we already have will be called Level 0 techs.

Now, onto the tech descriptions, for those who have lost their copy of the Standard Issue Tech Tree (and thank you for reading all that blather ):

Level 1 technologies:

D10: Digital Sentience
Secret Projects: The Network Backbone
Social model: Cyberethics
Leads to: Applied Gravitonics, Self-Aware Machines, Sentient Econometrics

E7: Centauri Genetics
Units: Locusts of Chiron
Secret Projects: The Pholus Mutagen
Leads to: Centauri Psi

D10: Frictionless Surfaces
Equipment: Cloaking Device
Leads to: Quantum Power

B7: Probability Mechanics
Equipment: Probability Sheath (Def 6)
Facilities: Tachyon Field
Leads to: Nanometallurgy

Level 2 technologies:

D11: Self-Aware Machines
SPs: Nessus Mining Station, The Self-Aware Colony
Facilities: Orbital Defence Pod
Requires Digital Sentience

E11: Sentient Econometrics
Facilities: Paradise Garden
Requires Digital Sentience

D11: Quantum Power
Equipment: Quantum Chamber (Rx3)
Facilities: Quantum Lab
Requires Frictionless Surfaces

E8: Centauri Psi
Equipment: Psi Attack
Various Fungus Restrictions Eased
Requires Centauri Genetics

E8: Nanometallurgy
Equipment: Deep Pressure Hull, Carrier Deck, Repair Bay
Requires Probability Mechanics

We are currently researching Homo Superior (which leads to The Will to Power). As we can not research The Will to Power without Centauri Psi, TWTP was not included in this poll.

As a final note, here are the percentages of how we have completed the tech branches:

Explore - 52%
Discover - 63%
Build - 71%
Conquer - 86%

There. There never was a perfect tech poll, and I suspect this will follow the tradition... This concludes this public service announcement. Go forth and vote, dear citizens. This is The Basement, signing out.

Last edited by Kassiopeia; April 6, 2003 at 11:07.
Old April 5, 2003, 12:11   #2
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 23:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Voted Cent. Gen. for the Pholus Mutagen, Cent. Psi. for the greenie bonuses, and Sentient Econometrics because I love the idea of the markets being a living force, and I want a paradise garden

Besides, we have a distinct lack of Explore techs (only 52%) and far to much emphasis on Conquer ones (86%) for my liking. Although the Quantum Chamber would also be a bit nice

Like the poll style Kass, seems the fairest and most future proof (considering how many we discover) method I've seen so far. However, don't we get more than 3 per turnchat?

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old April 5, 2003, 12:15   #3
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

D@mn. I thought I'd finally made the perfect poll with my last one. Hmm, good luck Kass.

Funnily, I'm voting the same as Drogue.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old April 5, 2003, 13:07   #4
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 20:10
digital sentience () - network backbone and CYBERNETIC
Self aware machines - (just to make drug mad) Nessus mining stations!
Genetics - leads to PSI -> will to power ->Secrets of creation
Old April 5, 2003, 13:42   #5
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Like the poll style Kass, seems the fairest and most future proof (considering how many we discover) method I've seen so far.
Quote:
Hmm, good luck Kass.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue However, don't we get more than 3 per turnchat?
We get one tech per 2 turns, and if I recall correctly turnchats usually gain us five, six turns. Also, GT suggested voting three techs in the poll this poll is a repoll of, so I went with that. Then again, we will probably have a turnthread in the week, so we might get over three techs. This poll result will be used as a guideline.
Old April 5, 2003, 13:42   #6
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Dig sentience will pass anyway, and if it doesn't, it's needed for Sentient Econometrics anyway, so I didn't feel the need to vote for it individually.

My predictions: Digital Sentience, Cent. Genetics then Sentient Econometrics.

Old April 5, 2003, 14:31   #7
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

nice system hopes it works....so we have 4 votes right?
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old April 5, 2003, 14:35   #8
Drogue
staff

No, 3.

Old April 5, 2003, 19:50   #9
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Oh, and by the way Drogue, if you vote for three level 2 techs, you'll be theoretically voting for a whopping *six* techs; the required level 1 techs and the actual level 2 techs.
Old April 5, 2003, 23:21   #10
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 09:10
Digital Sentience! Ya-hoo!
Old April 6, 2003, 08:29   #11
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:10
/me saunters in wearing his medal-covered jacket, preceeded by swarms of leather-clad femme fatales clutching large phallic rifles.

Tech, eh? I say Dig Sent, Prob Mech and Quantum Power.

Military. We can bomb Planet to peace.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old April 6, 2003, 08:31   #12
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 10:10
Self-Aware Machines, Digital Sentience and Quantum Power.
Old April 6, 2003, 10:40   #13
Drogue
staff

Sentient Econ Self-Aware Mechanics Whatever next

Old April 6, 2003, 16:00   #14
Cedayon
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 18:10
S-AM, SEcon, QP.

Why? ... we're supposed to *think* before voting?