Old March 15, 2001, 14:35   #1
Vitmore The Great
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:55
Local Date: October 30, 2010
CTP 2...should I buy it?
I know that this is the Civ II forum, but I wanted to ask fellow Civ IIer's this question. Should I buy CTP2? Is it any good? I'm hoping to get a non-biased answer from people. I love Civ II, but I'm looking for more in the sense of a better economics model and diplomacy. I find that there is very little motivation for war in Civ II unless you are lusting for blood. So I am wondering if CTP2 has an advanced type of economics model that has certain regions of the map having certain resources, which would be cause a nation to go to war for those resources if they are essential. For diplomacy, I just want more options and the ability to have more comprehensive inter-nation agreements.

So Civ IIers, should I get the game or not? (By the way, I am anxiously looking forward to Civ III!)

Vitmore
Old March 15, 2001, 15:05   #2
ZoboZeWarrior
King

Local Time: 23:55
Yes CtP (Ctp II has few difference with) has a better economical model. The diplomatic is on a side better to (except that you can't diplomaticaly break an alliance or a peace treaty : it's a big lack).

CtO offer different way to weaken your opponant without a war. It's a good thing. You could use a big range of anon conventional units (lawyer, priest, ecoterrorist, virus, cyber-spy ...).

Trade system are far more intelligent to. Your caravan isn't more an poor unit you have to move. But it is a commercial link between cities, that can be of course attacked .

Fights between are better too, because unit have range attck capability or bombing capability. It's more realistics.

But IA is weaker than in Civ II. It's a poor warrior. I'm playing in Deity Level. And I merely loss any units (except big error of mine). Deity level is easyer in CtP than in Civ II. IA have a (few) better diplomatic aptitude still.

There's less choice in sea units. No more catapult (WHY ???). And a lot of ridiculous bugs ("maybe" fixed in CtP 2)...

No more a view of your cities (too bad).

His aspect is colder than civ II (I don't no why ...).

I liked Civ II so much (I way I'm style reading Civ II Forum). I like now CtP (I haven't time to play both).

I you want more economical or diplomatic strategy rather than war, you could buy Ctp (I or II). Else It's maybe better that you still play Civ II.

Zobo.

Old March 15, 2001, 16:00   #3
John-SJ
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 14:55
CtP II has some problems IMO.

First, AI agressiveness, it is non-existent. You can leave cities unguarded and the AI will not attack. Even at higher difficulty levels it is rare for the AI to attack you at all.

Diplomacy. At first glance seems to be better, but then you find out that there is a formula to get things done. Once you've cajoled your first civ into an alliance, if you follow the same essential steps you can get any civ into an alliance.

As far as economics are concerned, I don't know if one could say that they are better, different, certainly.

I've played Civ II for years and am still actively involved with the game. I played exactly 3 games of CtP II and never finished one of them.

John-SJ

Old March 15, 2001, 21:57   #4
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

ditto for what john said.
I played all of three games and got bored.
Once at the medium level.
Once at the hardest level on a small world.
Once at the hardest level on a larger world.
The max number of cities for each govenment before happiness becomes way way too difficult to manage realy takes the fun out of the game. The last game I played, I spent most of the game starving out and disbanding cities. BORING

The game has a lot of good features, but the AI is so bad you will get bored.
There are some mods available.

I would say don't buy it.

RAH
Old March 18, 2001, 20:20   #5
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 00:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
actually I'm going to buy that game at some point, just not now... I was pretty much disappointed by CTP, so I decided not to spend the full price on CTP2... I think I'm going to purchase it at some point this year, as soon as I can get it for cheap money... unless CIV3 is out til then, of course
Old March 18, 2001, 23:16   #6
Chris1111
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:55
Well I'm fairly new here "sorta"(been lurking for months heh) but I'd say no. I just got it and cant even get it to run on my machine so I'd say its a complete waste of money. I installed it set my options and civ clicked begin and crrrash it doesnt recognize the CD no matter what I do. Every other game and CD is fine.

*prays for the day gaming companies realize quality and a working product are more important then the quick buck in the long run*

Old March 20, 2001, 05:59   #7
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 15:55
no

maybe die hards might like it, but the ai is terrible and this makes the game too easy, so die hards would probably get bored.

I made the mistake of buying it. I just don't see how all those tabs are supposed to make things easier. the interface is a pile of crap. but perhaps if you use hotkeys it could be workable. I just didn't try that, the gameplay just wasn't as interesting as civ2 for some reason. I just can't put my finger on the reason why.
Old March 20, 2001, 21:19   #8
Vitmore The Great
Chieftain

Hmmm....thanks guys. You're input is helping me out with my descision. As I said before, I just really wanted a more developed economic/diplomacy model to play with. MOO2 IMHO has the best diplomatic and economic model of any TBS game I've ever played. Simple, yet effective. I don't see why no other game has tried to improve on MOO2s model. Anyway, I think I will be holding my hard earned cash for Civ II, becase I know I will not have any reason not to buy it!

Vitmore

------------------
"We should not go out and conquer the people, but give them no other choice in their minds but to be conquered." - Me