Old April 18, 2003, 12:33   #31
Flanker
Warlord

Local Time: 00:15
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Panag, of course itīs possible to change some options and mod units, but still, thereīs quite hard to make the player need using combined arms. I also really donīt know how the AI would use it. Anyhow, I reflect over wargames like "Warcraft", in those games you must have a mix of units, itīs very hard to just win with one type.
Old April 18, 2003, 13:35   #32
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 01:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Flanker
Panag, of course itīs possible to change some options and mod units, but still, thereīs quite hard to make the player need using combined arms. I also really donīt know how the AI would use it. Anyhow, I reflect over wargames like "Warcraft", in those games you must have a mix of units, itīs very hard to just win with one type.
hi ,

maybe it did not came over , but the idea has been around since day one , " a more heavier AI , more units , more options , etc , ... " BUT with the option to turn this off ( on ) when a player starts a game , this way the people who like a simple civ and the ones who like a complicated game are both "happy" , ...

have a nice day
Old April 18, 2003, 15:35   #33
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 16:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
maybe it did not came over , but the idea has been around since day one , " a more heavier AI , more units , more options , etc , ... " BUT with the option to turn this off ( on ) when a player starts a game , this way the people who like a simple civ and the ones who like a complicated game are both "happy" , ...
This would probably be good compromise. Reading through the many, many suggestion threads, I find many of the people who frequent these boards are by the definition of just being here, (mostly) hard core players, and lean toward more complexity, micro-management and number crunching. People I know outside these boards who play, enjoy more ease in their game, are thankful for the automation, and probably would not welcome a great deal more complexity.

An option to please both type of players would be cool.
Old April 18, 2003, 15:42   #34
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

TheArsenal :
I think it should be possible to automate every single individual aspect of your empire if you want to. I think such a move would be the most newbie-friendly ever.
Old April 19, 2003, 08:23   #35
Flanker
Warlord

Local Time: 00:15
Panag, TheArsenal and Spiffor, I think itīs good with a lot of automation when it works well as I think it actually does now with PtW. However, since I always micromanage a lot, I donīt like when the computer comes up with itīs own ideas on how to improve my empire, and that kinds of annoys me. I guess I would have found it rather much out of control if I was a newbie, and didnīt really know what all automation things actually did. I mean, in the modern age, you get dozens of buttons to automate a worker, and itīs pretty hard to know what all those buttons do!
Old April 19, 2003, 18:54   #36
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Flanker
Panag, TheArsenal and Spiffor, I think itīs good with a lot of automation when it works well as I think it actually does now with PtW. However, since I always micromanage a lot, I donīt like when the computer comes up with itīs own ideas on how to improve my empire, and that kinds of annoys me. I guess I would have found it rather much out of control if I was a newbie, and didnīt really know what all automation things actually did. I mean, in the modern age, you get dozens of buttons to automate a worker, and itīs pretty hard to know what all those buttons do!
hi ,

ones again a solid point as to why the "on / off" would be welcome , .....

, in many games there are levels , each level brings a new unit , a new building , etc , .... maybe they could work something out like that , ....

or they could work a bit on the tutorial mode , ....

have a nice day
Old April 21, 2003, 01:36   #37
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

have a nice day
THAT would be a good idea and would solve most people's gripes.

However, I doubt they will ever bother to do double the work, in the end they will end up pissing off the micro or the macro managers.

I for one would welcome the extra work if anything because it would make the game more real. But say, for MP or PBEMs you could skip it and turn it "off" as you say.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old April 21, 2003, 08:15   #38
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen

THAT would be a good idea and would solve most people's gripes.

However, I doubt they will ever bother to do double the work, in the end they will end up pissing off the micro or the macro managers.

I for one would welcome the extra work if anything because it would make the game more real. But say, for MP or PBEMs you could skip it and turn it "off" as you say.
hi ,

well since the XP ( including ptw ) tends to add things , they can just add the on / off , it should not take more then a couple hours to program that , .....

with the on the managers would be happy , and with the off the people who want a simple game , ....

have a nice day