Old April 7, 2003, 10:04   #1
ariano_paluda
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Expansionist
I decided to try playing expansionist because I've seen a lot of posts about it (negative ones). So I thought i'd give it a try. Because I am a dane, I played the vikings (off course ) and I found that it was quite easy to get more towns than the AI players (monarch difficulty), and having the scout, it was easy enough to keep up in science as well, because of goody huts). But that was pangea. Achipelago was a totally different story. I began at a small island (5 cities max), with another one neighboring (typo? plz correct my spelling) it (another 5 towns). And I couldn't get away from it, before I discovered astronomy. And when that happened, my competitors were so advanced, and so powerful, that even a berserk raid couldn't touch them. Razed a couple of coastal cities and got a lot of slaves. I traded them for two techs...maybe that was a good strat?

Another try: arabs, I like the religious trait, and I wanted the expansionist trait as well (I know very well that the Iroqouis have the same traits, but: been there, done that etc. etc. ). I out expanded the AI players (large pangea, random climate), but fell hopelessly behind in the tech race, even though I found techs in the majority of the GH....

What am I doing wrong (plz don't say: quit playing expansionist )

anyone?

AP
Old April 7, 2003, 16:38   #2
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 18:16
Are you trading with the AI players? If not, you will almost always fall behind.
Old April 8, 2003, 09:59   #3
ariano_paluda
Chieftain

Trading
Yes I am...

I learned that the hard way...in my first game...
Old April 8, 2003, 10:03   #4
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 01:16
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Maybe you should try to improve your REXing techniques.

Check this out: http://www.civfanatics.com/doc/civ3/...r/civ3_starts/

Most people who can't take full advantage of the expansionist trait need to improve their REXing.
Old April 11, 2003, 10:20   #5
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 20:16
Quit playing expansionist.
Old April 11, 2003, 18:09   #6
statusperfect
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexnm
Quit playing expansionist.
Don't listen to Alexnm, he's bad for you.
Old April 12, 2003, 00:51   #7
Azeem
Prince

If you're playing an "Expansionist" civ, you'd have to build up your infrastructure more efficiently and much quicker. The advantage of "Expansionist" is that you'll get an early lead, but the disadvantage is that you could easily end up with a fragmented empire. While you'll benefit from a big empire, if your empire gets too big without adequate infrastrastructure and defense and is not as well established as other smaller empires, then you could collapse as quickly as you expanded.

Learned that the hard way.
Only by knowing when to stop can we avoid danger." - Lao-zi, the "Dao-de-jing"
Old April 12, 2003, 01:32   #8
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Since I discovered the expansionistic trait, I fell in love with it. With your scouts, you can discover foreign Civs extremely quickly, and have a much more interesting world map than your neighbours.
If you are lucky, being expansionistic can help you dearly with acquiring the tech lead at the beginning, because goody huts are nice, and because you can tech-whore between Civs that don't know each other. Avoid to trade communication between two faraway Civs at all costs, to ease your techwhoring.

The Arabs have a powerful combination, because they can find good city spots quickly, and they can culturally secure them at minimal cost. A solid culture in early cities makes sure the AI won't bother you next to your cities, and since the AI attacks only later in the game...

Besides, the Ansar Warrior arrives just at the time you should begin agressive extension, when there is no free territory left.
Old April 12, 2003, 09:48   #9
David Murray
Prince

I have found that any deficiencies the expansionist trait may have can be more than made up for with an exceptional unique unit. The Iroquois are now my favourite civ, after the game I finished the other day--Monarch, 7 opponents, standard Pangaea map and settings--at 1130AD I think it was, a domination win after eight hours of play. The Mounted Warrior is simply the most awesome unit in terms of when it is available and the comparative strength it offers compared to its cost!
Old April 12, 2003, 12:28   #10
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

try playing a couple games with the US , its really great so see expansionist combined with industrious

have a nice day
Old April 13, 2003, 13:33   #11
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 19:16
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Aeson has written several excellent posts re Expansionist in the Strat forum.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old April 13, 2003, 15:07   #12
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
Aeson has written several excellent posts re Expansionist in the Strat forum.
hi ,

why are so many people against this "trait" , ....

it really rocks

have a nice day
Old April 14, 2003, 09:50   #13
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 20:16
Quote:
Originally posted by statusperfect

Don't listen to Alexnm, he's bad for you.
Come on, he was asking for that...
Old April 14, 2003, 10:54   #14
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

It's all a matter of the luck of the draw.

Yes, Aeson's thread is detailed and enlightening... no arguments there. But still, many of the expansionists will have you restarting time and time again until you get lucky. Then, when you do, you'll generally be DAMN LUCKY and pull ahead in the game significantly.

It's all about out-expanding the other expansionists. Getting that free second city helps. So does getting a lot of good techs.

Definitely, the Iroquois, the Arabs, and to a lesser extent the Mongols, Zulu, Americans and British, stand to profit from their expanionist trait.

I find the Vikings' UU, as awesome as it is, a little too little, a little too late, and the Russians, ARRRGH... well, play with cultural linking off unless you want to bash your head into the wall for several hours.
Old April 14, 2003, 14:00   #15
Juha Karlsson
Settler

Panag is right, Americans is the best expansionist tribe. You must have an good infrastructure in a huge empire. Religious is is almost always the best trait, but not in this particular style of game. And of course, pangea and huge map is essential.

Put the research level to 0%, huts will gives you the techs anyway. Donīt defend your first city at all, only pour out scouts. If you spot some truoble then change yuor latest partly finished scout to a suitable defence unit (hurry it if necceserly). If none of your competitors is expansionist you will grab the most of the goody huts. At this time stop produce scouts, put them back to towns and disband them for something more useful like defence or temple buildings.

When most of the huts is exhausted, you probably lead the tech race and (depend of patch) have a number of towns. Donīt change the research level and donīt trade techs or connections yet. In an early town with reasonable shield pruduction, start to built palace (or some wounder that you do not want anyway).

When you get a tech for instance, litterature, change your palace/wounder project to The Great Library. When one turn is left to finish it, sell techs as hell. They will pay you a fortune for litterature if you are alone to know it. Ask the riches tribes first.

Now you will get tech for free until someone find education (Still 0% research). Until that you should use your money to rush build temples. That will help a bit from cultural flipping and release shields for settlers to fill the gaps in your scattered empire.

Itīs better to build culture point improvent first, if you still can afford to rush libs and caths, do it.

Eventually, someone discover education and the next phase of the game begins. Now you are problably # 2 or # 3 in the tech race and have to jack up research level. You have now a new situation to deal with and further problems have many different solutions. But with a deasent empire you are a step closer victory.
Old April 14, 2003, 16:05   #16
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Yahweh Sabaoth
It's all a matter of the luck of the draw.

Yes, Aeson's thread is detailed and enlightening... no arguments there. But still, many of the expansionists will have you restarting time and time again until you get lucky. Then, when you do, you'll generally be DAMN LUCKY and pull ahead in the game significantly.

It's all about out-expanding the other expansionists. Getting that free second city helps. So does getting a lot of good techs.

Definitely, the Iroquois, the Arabs, and to a lesser extent the Mongols, Zulu, Americans and British, stand to profit from their expanionist trait.

I find the Vikings' UU, as awesome as it is, a little too little, a little too late, and the Russians, ARRRGH... well, play with cultural linking off unless you want to bash your head into the wall for several hours.

hi ,

"restarting" , 9 out of 10 you get an excellent start thanks to being "expansionist" , .....

have a nice expansionist day
Old April 14, 2003, 16:09   #17
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Juha Karlsson
Panag is right, Americans is the best expansionist tribe. You must have an good infrastructure in a huge empire. Religious is is almost always the best trait, but not in this particular style of game. And of course, pangea and huge map is essential.

Put the research level to 0%, huts will gives you the techs anyway. Donīt defend your first city at all, only pour out scouts. If you spot some truoble then change yuor latest partly finished scout to a suitable defence unit (hurry it if necceserly). If none of your competitors is expansionist you will grab the most of the goody huts. At this time stop produce scouts, put them back to towns and disband them for something more useful like defence or temple buildings.

When most of the huts is exhausted, you probably lead the tech race and (depend of patch) have a number of towns. Donīt change the research level and donīt trade techs or connections yet. In an early town with reasonable shield pruduction, start to built palace (or some wounder that you do not want anyway).

When you get a tech for instance, litterature, change your palace/wounder project to The Great Library. When one turn is left to finish it, sell techs as hell. They will pay you a fortune for litterature if you are alone to know it. Ask the riches tribes first.

Now you will get tech for free until someone find education (Still 0% research). Until that you should use your money to rush build temples. That will help a bit from cultural flipping and release shields for settlers to fill the gaps in your scattered empire.

Itīs better to build culture point improvent first, if you still can afford to rush libs and caths, do it.

Eventually, someone discover education and the next phase of the game begins. Now you are problably # 2 or # 3 in the tech race and have to jack up research level. You have now a new situation to deal with and further problems have many different solutions. But with a deasent empire you are a step closer victory.
hi ,

cant agree more , not to mention about the fact that if you start near a river you get a city above size 6 fast and therefore you can build more and faster in the capital , ....

trow the great library in under a republic and you can get a go at cavalry , .....

from then on you can control the game without to many problems , .....

so players like to sell the techs in order to gain large amounts of money , but dont do this to early , if they dont have marketplaces they dont have the money to pay you , .....

have a nice day
Old April 15, 2003, 10:05   #18
ariano_paluda
Chieftain

Thanx
Thank you for the response guys!!!!

I am used to play at monarch difficulty, and I wanted to see what isabella looked like ind modern, but I did't want to use that much time playing, just to find that out.
So I started a game at chieftain...boy, I was amazed how easy that was....cant believe I once thought chieftain was "too hard" lol
Old April 15, 2003, 10:26   #19
statusperfect
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexnm
Come on, he was asking for that...
I know.