Local Date: November 1, 2010
FOX needs to take a laxative.

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old April 7, 2003, 13:46   #62
Lincoln
King

Local Time: 23:16
Meanwhile, Iraq's "information minister" says that US troops are comitting suicide in droves as they are repelled by the overwhelming force of the Saddamites...
Old April 7, 2003, 13:56   #63
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 17:16
I love the spin being put on this. Is there some sort of reovlt going on? Some reports say there is/ is it the beginning of the end, as I may remind everyone Lancer asks? Well, given that it sounds limited, if only 30 odd people have been killed and not all new agencies are reporting it, I ahve to guess, no, its not the end of the war, its not a geenral uprising in the city so far as we now right now.

I guess war turns people into mindless zombies. Why can;t news be digested as is? that is what I hatre about 24 hours news: THEY DON;T JUST REPORT, THE SPIN SPIN, SPIN!
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old April 7, 2003, 14:06   #64
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 19:16
Here's the real report...

Related report indicates that Iraqis are engaged in stiff fights with Saddam's loyalists in Baghdad.

IRNA reporter in Baghdad said that people have launched strong gun assault on Baathist forces and Saddam's loyalists. The clashes have created much problems for Iraqi Baathist forces.

The Baathist forces and Saddam's loyalists use semi-heavy and light weapons against the people.

The clashes erupted in western and southern parts of Baghdad on Monday.

Baathist forces suppress public protests. More than 60 Iraqis have been killed by Baathist forces. Iraqi Baathist army is said to fight dissidents as more regions of Baghdad are captured by US forces.

http://www.irna.com/en/head/030407195027.ehe.shtml
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old April 7, 2003, 14:06   #65
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 15:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Lincoln
No. The BBC is too far right as well. We want a true radical leftist news organization to give us the news or we won't believe it!
I wonder if Lincoln can post anymore without trolling about "leftists?"

Fox is nothing special, certainly not worthy of the sacred cow status some would give it. There's no room for "opinion" in reporting a factual matter (i.e. the presence or absense of uprisings). It IS, or it ISN'T. Ideology doesn't enter into the equation. So far that I've seen and heard, these are second hand reports of what's reported by ME news agencies, so the real "news" issue is whether they're generally reliable and whether these reports are accurate. 50 western news agencies of any ideological slant quoting the same source won't make a bit of difference as to whether that source is accurate or not.

Assuming there are uprisings, this is a big "so what?"

One of several old infantryman's adages is "don't draw fire, it really pisses off your neighbors" Just because people don't want a few fedayeen in their neighborhood doesn't mean anything about their ideology, especially wrt welcoming the US. They may simply not want the fighting to come to their neighborhoods and their homes.

The smart money now for anti-US types is to go to ground and discontinue resistance. Nobody is going to eject the US forces, all they're going to do is get killed and lose future power. The thing to do is let things get into a relatively quiet occupation phase, and then either go into low-intensity guerilla operations, or start working on your coup conspiracy against the future Iraqi government.

"The end" is nowhere near in sight. We've got billions of dollars and months, if not years, of occupation ahead, with all sorts of opportunities to do things right, or **** up royally.

Meanwhile, what really happened today and why and how is something we'll likely figure out in, oh, a year or two.
Old April 7, 2003, 14:13   #66
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
Yesterday, Robert Fisk described climbing up on the burned out Abrams tank and confirming that the Iraqis had beaten back the attack...
You mean the article in the Independent? What a joke. I was highly amused. First, the Tank was knocked out by a 106mm Iraqi gun. Then it was "clearly" a missle hit. Then, maybe it was a US airstrike to prevent capture of a damaged but repairable tank.

He pulls out the stops to show that the Iraqis "won" but in the end concludes that the US tank was damaged, abandoned & destroyed by the US, and meanwhile the Iraqis suffered around a 5:1 loss ratio.

Speaking of spin...

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 7, 2003, 14:13   #67
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 18:16
Quote:
Me too. At least in all my trolling, I don't blame everything on "rightists.
Old April 7, 2003, 14:14   #68
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

No, you use "Republicans" or "retarded Neoconservatives" instead.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 7, 2003, 14:17   #69
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

True, but my rants aren't restricted to just one group. I dislike Democrats as much. If it will make people feel better I could create a thread about how much Clinton sucked.
Old April 7, 2003, 14:20   #70
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
If it will make people feel better I could create a thread about how much Clinton sucked.
please, we all need the laugh and it will be fun to return to a conversation of stained dresses and the like. Ahh, the memories
Old April 7, 2003, 14:20   #71
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Speaking of spin...

He was probably sitting in his hotel room in Baghdad enjoying a beer from the minibar rather than reporting from the scene.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old April 7, 2003, 14:23   #72
Brtndr4u
Prince

What about earlier reports of those saddam fadeyeen killing Bagdaders,sooner or later they are gonna turn the tables and start getting paybacks.I imagine those Shia' leaders in Saddam City are also setting up thier political territory via reports of the uprising.Its called propoganda via the Iranians whom would like to see the Imans get power in Iraq.
Old April 7, 2003, 14:24   #73
Thoth
King

Quote:
If it will make people feel better I could create a thread about how much Clinton sucked.
Shouldn't there be a "was" in that sentance.
Old April 7, 2003, 14:28   #74
Brtndr4u
Prince

Quote:
True, but my rants aren't restricted to just one group. I dislike Democrats as much. If it will make people feel better I could create a thread about how much Clinton sucked.
Come on,everyone knows Clinton didn't suck.

He sighed.

Monica was the sucker.
Old April 7, 2003, 14:52   #75
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 01:16
Local Date: November 2, 2010
This seems to be one of those things when the keywords are "Fox is reporting" instead of "UPRISING in Baghdad."
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old April 7, 2003, 14:58   #76
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:16
Quote:
Meanwhile, Iraq's "information minister" says that US troops are comitting suicide in droves as they are repelled by the overwhelming force of the Saddamites...
I reckon after the war that that guy will do the standup-circuit across America. He has me in stitches whenever he opens his mouth.
Old April 7, 2003, 15:05   #77
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Local Time: 16:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Gatekeeper
FOX needs to take a laxative.
Methinks they are...but it's working at the wrong end.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.
Old April 7, 2003, 15:09   #78
Lincoln
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

Fox is
Have a guilty concience? I am just trying to bring the forum to a state of some type of balance. It is kind of like when they tried to straighten the Tower of Pizza a little before it fell over. Some day you will all thank me for this.
Old April 7, 2003, 15:13   #79
GePap
Emperor

What is most interesting is that one of the better sources of news about Iraq happens to be the IRANIAN NEWS SERVICES: hmmm, those Ayatollahs surely sqash all valuable news coverage, now don't they?

What kind of weather do we get in hell when news sources from the "axis of Evil" can be believed more than Americans "Most balanced news source"?

I just want to wait until the high level Iraqi Ayatollahs sitting in Qum decide to g back home. How easilly will the Us let them in?
Old April 7, 2003, 15:13   #80
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

When did the Tower of Pizza fall over...?

Old April 7, 2003, 15:17   #81
Lincoln
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DRoseDARs
When did the Tower of Pizza fall over...?
This is one reason why I am not an English teacher. Maybe I should have said "before it could have fallen over". Anyway, Apolyton is leaning left but that is the nature of the beast I suppose.
Old April 7, 2003, 15:22   #82
JimmyCracksCorn
Chieftain

Quote:

Fox is nothing special, certainly not worthy of the sacred cow status some would give it. There's no room for "opinion" in reporting a factual matter (i.e. the presence or absense of uprisings). It IS, or it ISN'T. Ideology doesn't enter into the equation. So far that I've seen and heard, these are second hand reports of what's reported by ME news agencies, so the real "news" issue is whether they're generally reliable and whether these reports are accurate. 50 western news agencies of any ideological slant quoting the same source won't make a bit of difference as to whether that source is accurate or not.

Assuming there are uprisings, this is a big "so what?"

One of several old infantryman's adages is "don't draw fire, it really pisses off your neighbors" Just because people don't want a few fedayeen in their neighborhood doesn't mean anything about their ideology, especially wrt welcoming the US. They may simply not want the fighting to come to their neighborhoods and their homes.

The smart money now for anti-US types is to go to ground and discontinue resistance. Nobody is going to eject the US forces, all they're going to do is get killed and lose future power. The thing to do is let things get into a relatively quiet occupation phase, and then either go into low-intensity guerilla operations, or start working on your coup conspiracy against the future Iraqi government.

"The end" is nowhere near in sight. We've got billions of dollars and months, if not years, of occupation ahead, with all sorts of opportunities to do things right, or **** up royally.

Meanwhile, what really happened today and why and how is something we'll likely figure out in, oh, a year or two.
wow mike, ur like reely sm4rt er sumthing
Old April 7, 2003, 15:23   #83
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 01:16
Is Fisk embedded with the Republican Guard?
Old April 7, 2003, 15:23   #84
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:

Have a guilty concience?
Oh, so I'm an honorary leftist now? Maybe you could do me a favor and let them know, since Monkspider and chegitz still seem to think I'm a capitalist right-winger.

Or is "leftist" just a code word for anyone who doesn't endorse Fox as the be-all and end-all paragon of objective journalism?
Old April 7, 2003, 15:31   #85
Lincoln
King

Actually I don't watch Fox news. I can't stand Bill O'Riley. I just thought you were hanging around Apolyton too long and some it has rubbed off. BTW, I am almost in dead center.
Old April 7, 2003, 15:36   #86
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn

wow mike, ur like reely sm4rt er sumthing
Wow, you can quote a whole post to make a one line comment unrelated to the thread.

Whose DL are you again?
Old April 7, 2003, 15:40   #87
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

I used to enjoy O'Riley...but then a few months back this year, I noticed he entered an ultra-d*ck mode. He became more of an ass than usual, so much so that even I could no longer stand it.

Old April 7, 2003, 15:41   #88
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Actually I don't watch Fox news. I can't stand Bill O'Riley. I just thought you were hanging around Apolyton too long and some it has rubbed off. BTW, I am almost in dead center.
The problem with Fox is not that they outright lie like the Iraqis. The problem is that they editorialize everything they report, with a unabashedly conservative bias. they also put on an endless line of pundits, the vast majority Republicns, and ask them softball and eladeing questions to make sure they never get an answer they don't expect. And on top of all of that, they make a point of calling themselves "fair and balanced". That is just the topinng on the cake.

Hey, Lincoln and I share something..a dislike of O'Riley.

Old April 7, 2003, 15:48   #89
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Quote:

since Monkspider and chegitz still seem to think I'm a capitalist right-winger.

You really are a radical rightist though MtG.
Old April 7, 2003, 17:40   #90
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:

Wow, you can quote a whole post to make a one line comment unrelated to the thread.

Whose DL are you again?
That would be Zylka.